16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Unique powder and Downrange wad load
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:30 am  Reply with quote

Hi folks
I am looking for data on a Unique/ Downrange combo. I'm new to reloading, have searched the archives to no avail and not able to send Tom loads to test (a tad far from Godzone!) so hoping someone here can help.

I had Cheddite 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 hulls as well as Fiocchi and Federal.
Primers Win209 and Fiocchi 616

Looking for a 7/8 load travelling between 1200 and 1400 fps approx in modern firearms.

Many thanks

Ross
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:34 am  Reply with quote

Hello Ross :

You give such a wide velocity range to hit that I think we can make that one .

Start at 17 grains and work up from there , I think you can find out what your looking for easy enough .

Hey Ross what did the wads cost you by the time they got there ??? I know we visited on this a while back and was concerned as to how much the shipping was going to be ?

Thanks , Charles
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Charles
Thanks for your response. What are the best hulls? Are the shorter Cheddites better for the smaller loads....?

I haven't actually got any Downrange wads yet Embarassed It is taking me sooooooo long to get into reloading, Sunday was the last day of the waterfowl season so I have been busy hunting (with factory loads) rather than reloading. I now have another month or two of snowy winter before the fishing starts that I plan to put to good use behind the MEC, hence my search for a Unique/ Downrange load that I can use on pigeons and targets in spring.

best regards
Ross
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Ross :

load your 24 gram loads in the 70mm case and your 23 gram and lower loads in the 65 mm case works out great that way as you can shoot the 70 mm hulls and trim them down and use em again , although you can load the 21 gram load in the 70 mm case of all hulls and the 18 gram load in the RGL's in 70 mm

Any Hull you can get your hands on is a good one . Can't be too picky sometimes .

How are you going to get the wads there ??? Slow boat or plane ??

Oh I have a question , is a 2 shot autoloader legal in your neck of the woods ? what is the restrictions concerning all of the actions and capacities ?

Please be as detailed as possible on the above question , it is something that I really need to know .

Thanks in advance , Charles
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

Maybe this can also assist

http://www.police.govt.nz/service/firearms/approved.html?page=2

Enjoy the day
Mike
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:39 am  Reply with quote

Hi Charles
The wads will come by plane - just like the MEC Sizemaster and the Gualandi wads Wink

WRT your 2 shot autoloader - absolutely they are legal here. The link that skeettx sent through is the approved list of all the makes and models that are approved for import and sale here. In short, pretty much any shotgun configuration is OK unless the total length is below a certain figure (can't remember what that length is but it is nothing a sporting shot would want - something like a total of 20 inches). We used to require shotguns to be pinned but that is no longer the case and many shooters who shoot decoying birds use magazine extensions. It's not really my cup of tea but I know of shooters who use the AK47 replicas with 8 shot extensions for shooting - that is at the ugly end of the scale - but it does mean that your 2 shot autoloader is well within legal and acceptable limits.

In autoloaders Benelli, Beretta and Browning seem to be the mainstays here (recently bought a 20 gauge Cordoba - I do wish that was available in 16!) although Remington, Franchi, Winchester etc are also present. Hardly ever see new SxS for sale and very few new U/O in hunting configuration.

Hope this helps!

regards
Ross