16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Give away: Herter's Vandalee 1-1/8 oz wads
pitted bore
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I have found a small stash of 600+ 16-ga Herter's Vandalee wads. I hate to dumpster them if somebody can use them.

These are the size that Herter's labeled "5/8x1-1/8 oz"; they are about 1.660 inches long. I think they date from the late 1960s.

Here is Herter's blurb about Vandalee wads; the prose is only slightly purple compared with that firm's usual catalog copy:

Gives you 10% tighter pattern and 15 yards more range than any complete plastic wad and shotcup. This wad is the first really break-through of the century in shotshells. This entirely new wad has a shotcup with two slits. These slits do not go to the end of the shotcup. They not only hold the shot together as it goes through the barrel but for five full yards after the shot leaves the end of the barrel. The miracle shotcup jacknkifes backward and leaves the shot in one solid high velocity density with no shot string at all and no possibility of blown patterns. This is the best wad for hunting purposes or handicap shooting where long range is needed. Patent No. 3,279,365

The plastic in these wads still seems as flexible as current production wads from modern makers.

I have no loading data.

Cost will be $12 within USA which covers $11.05 priority mailing and 95-cents for my gas to the post office.

These go to first "I'll take them" post.

Use PM for contact.

--Bob
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
I'll take them off your hands. I use them in the old hulls Herters sold at the same time. The hulls are paper base wad and red or blue ribbed straight walled cases. I have the smaller 1 oz. size which works for me on targets. I'm still working my way through the 2000 hulls I have accumulated from folks that didn't want to bother with them.
Best,
Ron
pitted bore
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

The wads are going to Ron, with my thanks for helping clear the storage room.
--Bob