16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  old(15yo) 8-fold Winchester Upland Game hulls
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:07 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel,

I agree with you about the loading data, I have stuff dating from present back to the mid 1960's. WInchester data included, no data for the true polyformed hull.

But there are some Reifenhaeuser hulls that Winchester used in the late 1990's early 2000's that were very reloadable and ballistically were very heavy and high velocity load friendly. I swear you could drive a car into them. The data was published by Precision Reloading and I bet the data is still good for the newer hulls made in Australia. I will let you know shortly.

I developed loads from 7/8 to 1 1/4 oz. For you speed freaks. some of the 1 1/8 oz loads were going 1400+ FPS. There were more loads that should have been developed but deadlines stopped me from continuing.

I wish it was easier to show photos on this site, I still have a quantity of these hulls and would sacrifice a few to show how they are made.
sheabert
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:17 am  Reply with quote

twice barrel,
Thats what I bought. I assumed they were reloads because of the fiber wad and plastic sleeve but they must have been factory. As far as how well they load, I think they are great. I get better crimps (8pt) with them than feds or new winchesters (cheddite). They are in a white box that read winchester upland shotshells ideal for all types of small game. silver base, almost smooth hull but it is ribbed. So many different options is getting confusing.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:32 am  Reply with quote

Sheabert and Twice Barrel,

The hulls that I am refering to have a plastic base wad, 8 point crimp, brass plated steel head and very slight ribbing.

I have some of the silver head style also, they are the same inside and out.

Let me know what you are looking for I can give you a tested load or two.
spr310
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

I have quite a few of the polyformed hulls. I use the recipes from hOdgdons. Mine are all marked superX on the hull. I have some compression formed also and they are also superX hulls. If you cut one a part see if the basewad is the same as cheddites basewad?
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

SPR310,

I am waiting for some Cheddites as we speak, I will do that as soon as I can.

BTW, what data from Hodgdon are you using? Winchester data or Cheddite data?
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:28 pm  Reply with quote

sheabert wrote:
twice barrel,
Thats what I bought. I assumed they were reloads because of the fiber wad and plastic sleeve but they must have been factory. As far as how well they load, I think they are great. I get better crimps (8pt) with them than feds or new winchesters (cheddite). They are in a white box that read winchester upland shotshells ideal for all types of small game. silver base, almost smooth hull but it is ribbed. So many different options is getting confusing.

Could you post a photo or two of the shells and the boxes? I have only seen the Reifehauser type hulls with a 6 point crimp.
sheabert
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

spr310
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Are you sure those aren't compression formed hulls? I have some shells bought back in the seventies and they are compression formed hulled with fiber wads and sleeves. I have over 1000 winchester hulls and shell and all with 8 point crimp are compression formed hulls. Both 12 gauge and 16 gauge.
dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:20 am  Reply with quote

SPR310,

Mine are definitely polyformed, and look exactly like the ones in the photo.

I also have other polyformed Winchesters with a brass plated head.
sheabert
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Yes these are definitely polyformed.
mrosspa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:29 pm  Reply with quote

I've got about 1000 of these hulls waiting to be reloaded in box. So what recipe would you recommend for these, or where to find a source for information?

Bill Layman
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:40 am  Reply with quote

I've got a bunch of the Upland Game hulls with the brass plated heads. My measurements indicate that they vary only .004 in inside diameter and are within 3% of the capacity of the new Aussie made Super X Game Loads. I would not hesitate to use moderate pressure data for the new style hulls in the Upland Game cases.

Bill Layman