16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Chedite wads
Scolari
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I noticed that Graffs sells Chedite wads for loads from 1 oz to 1 1/8oz, but I couldn't find any data for these wads. Since there are so many Chedite hulls available for reloading, wouldn't this be the obvious choice? They are certainly cheap enough. Has anyone used them? What are your thoughts about these wads and where did you find reloading data.
Along the same lines, what about the Claybuster WW 16 wad.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a bag of each to see what these wads are about, and I was very dissappointed. The wad plastic is very thin, and I had many loads I tried burn through or invert the gas cup when it was fired. Also, the wad height doesn't seem to be right for a 2 3/4" shell to achieve a 1 oz load (or 1 1/8 oz load). I think these wads were made to fit a 2 1/2" hull, and they would probably work well in one of these, if you were not pushing the load too hard. I am told these wads are the same as the old Activ G-28 and G-32 wads. If you do a search for 1632 or 1628 on this site you can get some more information from a review I did.

The claybusters WAA16 wad works very well in a RGL hull. It allows the possibility of powder migration in larger (Cheddite and Federal) Hulls, especially with small grained powder.
spr310
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

I have data for the chedite wads. They are the activ wads as bowbuilder says. I have loads in most hulls except the chedite. I have them in an excell spreadsheet.

Last edited by spr310 on Sat May 30, 2009 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:00 pm  Reply with quote

bowbuilder wrote:
I am told these wads are the same as the old Activ G-28 and G-32 wads. If you do a search for 1632 or 1628 on this site you can get some more information from a review I did.

Bowbuilder the Active G28 is the same wad as the Gualandi 1618 and is primarily used for 1 ounce loads that require a lot of very bulky powder or is used for ounce and one eight loads. I'm not familiar with the G-32 wad and don't know who imports them.
Rrusse11
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:13 pm  Reply with quote

Gents,

Here's a recent thread with some wad pics for comparison.

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6660

Cheers,
R*2
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:08 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. It Sounds like the best bets for a 1 oz load are the Gualandi and CB 16 wads.
bowbuilder
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:34 am  Reply with quote

Just for anyone reading this old thread...it appears that the cheddite 1628 and 1632 are NOT the old Activ G28 and G32 wads. Actually, it is not completely clear what the old Activ wads were. Just to be safe, consider the cheddite 1628 and the cheddite 1632 to be just that...the cheddite 1628 and the cheddite 1632.