16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Hull trim length for 2 9/16 and roll crimp
Baden Powell
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

I think I know the answer to this very stupid question, but if I want to make a case trimmer from a length of PVC, I want to trim both plastic and paper hulls to 2 9/16 for roll crimping in guns so chambered, right? The 2 9/16 PVC section with a dowel inside the hull makes the trim unit, I assume.
putz463
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:10 am  Reply with quote

Not a stupid question. The PVC fits inside the hull. Mine is a piece of 1/2"CPVC a foot long give or take with an exacto blade tapped into a drilled hole. The blade needs to be at a little bit of an angle so the hull kinda turns/threads into the blade to accomplish the cutting action. I'm sure there are pictures of one posted somewhere on this site.

IP (intelectual property) disclaimer; the above information is not an original idea, I learned it from a posting on this site. I take no credit for it nor do I want to, just passing on a good idea that works. Very Happy

Another thing to consider; since this type of trimmer measures and cuts to internal dimensions the finished hull length will be a little different from hull brand to hull brand as it nets off to the different base wads. Finding the best "setting" on the trimmer for cutting to a certain over all length is a matter of playin around.

Also, I've seen posted around here pictures of guys using a wooden dowel with a screw or bolt in the end. It is a neat idea that solves length adjustment and base wad touch off issues. (see above-IP disclaimer)

I don't use paper hulls so I can't speak to how well it works on them, but on plastic; it works great.

Hope this helps, Mike

ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:01 am  Reply with quote

+1 on the wooden dowel with screw for depth adjustment... amazing.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:16 am  Reply with quote

For plastic hulls, you can't beat a simple wood dowel, with a screw in the end for adjustment.

For paper hulls, I use a modified BP hull cutter. works great.

Hootch
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

Lead Trading Post. Has hull trimmers. Beats the BPI and Precision tools all to heck. Plastic or paper.

Great guy to deal with too.