16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  My Pet Load : 7/8 in the RGL revisited
mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black&Tan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Excellent post Mike!

I'm taking your advice with this load.
I loaded some up today..

Rem black
Win 209
SG20L
16g. Unique (until the GD arrives)
7/8 oz lead

I must confess though.. I needed one small Cheerio for a factory quality crimp...
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:06 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scolari
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 pm  Reply with quote

Looks good Mike. I'm not familiar with 20 ga wads, so one silly question. What is the SG20L wad. Is this a remington wad or a Gualandi ?
deer hunter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

it's a gualandi - one of the neet things about these are that they can swing the same way for 20 ga feds . they consume some space and i use them for a 3/4 oz load in these . (of course , if i was inclined to use something sides 16's)

Scolari
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:14 am  Reply with quote

B&T, i like your idea of using cheerios as a filler. They would certainly be cheap enough. I'm considering buying a 16 ga reloader. i haven't reloaded shot shells in 25 years. The reason is that I can't always find 16 ga shells. Often, they are over priced. One store wants $10.49 for Winchester 1oz loads. That makes a round of skeet cost about $16.50. I can get all the 20's and 12's I can stand, but not so for 16 ga. I also like the idea of lighter loads. I have noticed though that primers are difficult to find. I checked a couple local stores and neither had 209 primers. Graffs seems to be sold out of most of theirs too. The idea of being able to use a 20ga wad for the 16 also gives the reloader a few more options too.
Thanks for all the information. That is what makes this site great. If anyone else has any recipies to share, please post them. Please include pressure as well. I'm not comfortable shooting something that has an unknown pressure. After fifty years of shooting, I have never had a gun explode in my hands. i have seen it happen to others though.
ajaxfjr
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, great post, I like the work you have done on this load.

When I try this load (and your previous work in this area, also good) I find that the SG20L gets stuck on the rammer tube and gets pulled back out on the upstroke. In frustration I have used some Orange Dusters as they have a much looser cup.

Did you have the same issue with the SG20L, and if so what have you done to make things go smoother?

AjaxFjr.
Samuel_Hoggson
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I could put a 20 ga drop tube on my Sizemaster. After awhile I learned to use two fingers to squeeze the RGL at the upstroke. That keeps the SG20L put........well, for me.

Sam

mike campbell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:45 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
deer hunter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

I took the simple route , Mike . I've got a 12 press and 20 press right next to my 16 press , so I put the case in the 12 press push it in the deprime till it shoulders out , then put the powder in , put the wad and shot in on the 20 press and whatever finishing on the 16 press . Took decades to simplify my procedure ! At my age and memory , I'd never have a clue why my load was a little off ! cheers !