16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  16 ga Remington 1100
Rob Ogden
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:39 pm  Reply with quote

Gander Mountain near the Pittsburgh Airport has a recent manufacture Remington 1100 16 ga, with screw chokes. Asking $449. Looks pretty close to new. Glad I left the check book at home!

Rob

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:48 am  Reply with quote

Are they willing to throw in a gun carraige and a trailer hitch for it? Laughing
double vision
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

Before I came onto a very nice, older 16 gauge Rem 11, I was thinking about one of those new 1100's for just pure shooing, and a comfy way to empty my factory promo loads for my lightweight 16 gauge guns. I looked at them and the 28" version is ponderously front heavy, but the 26" version would be OK and probably a hellofa shooter.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:03 am  Reply with quote

Any of the older fixed choke 16ga 1100 barrels are not too bad weightwise. The 16 ga Rem Choke barrels are ridiculously heavy. The last batch Remington spewed out were nothing more than underbored 12 ga barrels. The 26" versions were only marginally less front heavy. Yet Remington has been pushing their Light Contour barrel concept in every other gauge. Why not for our gauge.

I just can't get behind Remington here. They repeatedly slap us 16 ga people in the face with badly executed versions of what once were pretty good designs. Their production and marketing policies have been abusive to the gauge for too long. Who needs them.
Rob Ogden
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

It has a 26" barrell. I did pick it up and shoulder it, and yes, its pretty darned heavy. Probably make a pretty good target gun, and would be great for turkeys. And, I have 23 shells left from the first box of 16s i bought 15 or so years ago. I had just bought my 16 ga Uggie, and bought a box of 3 dram 1 1/8 oz. loads. I shot two of 'em, and haven't touched them since. They'd be about perfect in a big, heavy gas operated auto loader. Maybe I'd better run back down to Pittsburgh!

Rob

double vision
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, even the 26" is heavy, but it's a good gun as most 1100's are, and I bet it will give a lot of guns a run for the money on clay targets.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

just because some people are incapable of comprehending the values of others, doesn't mean you should pass up this gun if you like it.

Some people think light guns are useless.

Ya know, there are .243 rifles that weigh 6 lbs and .243s that weigh 40 lbs. Each has a fan base and a purpose.

NR

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:28 am  Reply with quote

I like to think in terms of advantage/disadvantage here. The 16 ga shell is ballistically inferior on all counts to the 12 ga shell. The 16 ga gun offers the advantage of less weight and size if properly executed.

So why lug a gun which is the same size and weighs a a bit more then the 12 ga version while sacrificing the ballistic advantage at the same time. It does not make much sense to me. Also, why do business with a company which obviously does not care about 16 ga guns and the folks who prefer them. Again, it makes no sense. Some one explain this to me. Thanks.
deer hunter
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:04 am  Reply with quote

does anyone remember when corporate logic last made sense !? oopps - sorry , I was having a Big K moment there .

Rob Ogden
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

16 ga. guy, I concur. I simply posted originally because the gun appeared to be close to new, and the price seemed right, I thought some one on this board may be interested. I agree, that if you are going to shoot a bucket full of shot out an 8 Lb. gun, might as well take the 12 bore.

Rob

upstateduckman
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

It may not be too bad if you are breaking clays, like others have said.
Quailman
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 8:30 am  Reply with quote

I just bought one (CF 1100 16ga.) with a 28" barrel and am pretty excited about it. Weight has never been much of an issue with me. Heck I'm used to carrying an 1100 12ga. mag with 30" barrel from sunup to sundown. I've always loved those long heavy barrels as well. Now, I know (along with everybody else) that the CF 16ga. is actually built on a standard 12ga. receiver, so you won't be gving up anything in the weight department. But, here's my thought-with a 16ga. gun weighing as much as 12ga. I think recoil would be significantly less? With that low amount of recoil, one could easily stay on target for a very quick follow up shot if needed. Plus, it would just be a blast to shoot Very Happy Now I know one could carry a 12ga. (same weight as 16ga.) shoot low powered ammunition through it, and accomplish maybe the same amount of recoil reduction as a 16ga built on a 12ga. receiver? So then, one might ask oneself what is the point in carrying/shooting a 16ga. when a 12ga. will do everything a 16ga. will and do it better? Well for me, I just love shooting those little oddball gauges. There's also a little bit of nostalgia wrapped up in it too.
KYCrusader
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:57 pm  Reply with quote

Quailman:

I'm in your camp, bro!

But I'm afraid you're just wasting your time trying to express any reasonable points of consideration that might offset a shotgun's weight to certain myopic members of this site. For them, any gun that does not conform to the theoretical weight limits favored by the elite crowd of gun "experts" is automatically disqualified from being useful for anything but a boat anchor.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

The only reason to get a 16 gauge that matters is, "I want one dammit!"

Enjoy your 1100! It will be a heckofa shooter. Who really cares what anybody on the internet thinks anyway?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:54 am  Reply with quote

The 7/8 ounce 12 ga wad has been a reality for well over a decade now. We can buy 7/8 ounce (24 gram) 12 ga loads that are softer shooting than any available factory 16 ga load. We can load even softer shooting, extremely effective 7/8 ounce 12 ga target loads. I've been doing it since the mid-90's. I also load 3/4 ounce 16 ga loads that crush targets, and are very comfortable in a 6 3/4 pound pump gun and even in a 6 pound double. They will not function in an autoloader designed for factory loads.

Myopic? I don't think so. I can see the reality here quite clearly. I doubt I'm alone. But it's a free country. If anyone wants to buy an 8 pound plus 16 ga gun that is less ballistically effective than it's 12 ga counterpart, less flexible about the ammo it will handle, and more costly than other trimmer, lighter, more flexible repeaters, then knock yourselves out.

I once knew a man who jumped off a 3 story building. I asked him why he did it. He told me he thought it was a good idea at the time, but the reality of gravity changed his mind. Live and learn.