16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Swedish guns, gun control and exportation
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:05 am  Reply with quote

In a PM I got a question, which maybe could be of a more common interest:
I've noticed from your posts that you are from Sweden. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind and have the time.
The first is I've noticed that there a a lot of used sxs guns being imported from Sweden? Husqvarana mainly. Is there a new push to take guns from civilian hands or is the shooting public getting smaller and older folks getting rid of their guns, or are people just trading in and getting newer guns?

Swedish older guns are exported to an astonishing extent. The reason för this is simple: gun control. To be allowed to own a long gun, you must have passed an official hunter's test or be member of a shooting club. For hunting, you can't get permits for more than six long guns. So, if you already have six guns, and find that fine Sauer or Husqvarna 16 ga sidelock, you have to get rid of another gun of yours. Sport shooters have similar restrictions: each gun must be motivated in an application to the local police. as you write, it is a "push to take guns from civilian hands".

One consequence is that older and less attractive guns are very cheap, another that the gun shops have to export guns to get rid of them without making junk of them and sending them to the iron mill. One seller nearby has a large coffin in the gun room, where he puts all old guns. When the coffin is full, he trade it to an american or german importer.

Pete

Falling asleep on the gather'd leaves with my dog and gun by my side.
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:52 am  Reply with quote

Hi Pete

I guess some old Swedish farmers loss is my gain. These two 16 ga. underlever Huskys are getting alot of shells run through them this summer at claybirds and hope to run some shells through them this fall at some grouse and woodcock

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:33 pm  Reply with quote

Hello

Nice site

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml

Mike
dragoonpoint
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

While it's a nice windfall for us it's unfortunate for the prior owners of those nice old hammer guns that they had to sell them because some government official doesn't think they should have them. And with our new found desire to copy everything European, many in this country would love to see the same, or tighter regulations.
I personally have more than 6. 16ga guns not to mention 12-20-28-410 plus rifles and handguns. Thank God and the Founding Fathers for the Second Amendment!
Thanks for your response.
Irish Jack
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

Great post, very interesting, and also nice pics. of your guns what are the weights, and dementions?

Just wondering how you get along with two hammers...........I shot a single growing up, with a hammer and don't even think about it, but I don't know if I could keep track of both.

Regards Jack
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Irish Jack wrote:
Great post, very interesting, and also nice pics. of your guns what are the weights, and dementions?

Just wondering how you get along with two hammers...........I shot a single growing up, with a hammer and don't even think about it, but I don't know if I could keep track of both.

Regards Jack

Hey Jack

My Huskys weight around 6 1/2 lbs, have 29.5 inch barrels, they were built in 1940 & 41 and seem to have "modern dimentions" roughly 14 1/2 lop, 2 1/2 drop at heel. Choked full and fuller I've had one opened to .000 & .010 by Mike Orlen already and will be sending the other to be opened to .005 & .015 for late season birds. I know I shoot them as well as I do my "fitted" spanish sxs's. I've only had them for about 4 months so havn't hunted birds with them yet, but I only shoot at pointed birds behind my setters so don't expect to have too much of a problem Embarassed hopefully. They have been a cheap way to scratch my hammergun itch Laughing and am having alot of fun shooting them.

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Old Shatterhand
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:12 am  Reply with quote

Rick's hammer Huskies are real tough guns that can take a lot of abuse and still work. It is a reliable, sturdy shooting tool. I had one, mod 17, in 16ga some years ago. It was a good gun, but I didn't like the underlever.

These guns have been the working man's shotgun here in Sweden for more then hundred years. 12ga was most common, but in some regions 16ga was the preferred gauge.

The factory was situated in Husqvarna, in the region Smoland. Thus these guns are sometimes being reffered to as "Smoland and Smoland". Wink

F.

Pic: The Husqvarna Factories in 1945.

Falling asleep on the gather'd leaves with my dog and gun by my side.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

the photo is reminiscent of some gun factories in New Haven, now closed. Could that portend things to come? Crying or Very sad