16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  My new Gran Lightning
Band-tail
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:02 am  Reply with quote

Well, after much anticipation I finally received my brand new 2010 16 gauge Citori Gran Lightning. I have to admit that when I opened the box I was disappointed in the wood. I guess it's okay, but I was expecting something a little nicer. It did look a little better outside in the natural light, but I'm still a bit disappointed. What do you guys think??

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:53 am  Reply with quote

I looked at the pics before reading and thought that the gun/wood looked great. Does it shoot to POA?

Good luck w/your new gun...

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Buying any higher grade gun sight unseen is tricky. We all have our own ideas about pretty wood. The wood on yours is not all that bad IMO. The fiddle back figure in it might become more apparent in time. I've had a couple of guns with wood that did this as the tannin in the grain slowly did its magic.

I owned two Gran Lightning models, a 20 and a 12. The 20 had strikingly figured wood but it was weak in the wrist and soon failed. Browning attempted to replace the broken stock with a piece of grade one lumber which had far less figure and did not match the forend. I managed to trade it off for a far better looking grade III Lightning w/o taking too much of a financial hit. The 12 had okay but certainly not spectacular wood. I bought it at a Grade one price and quickly sold it soon after for a modest profit. I've never been a big fan of the Gran lightnings ever since. I've had far beter luck with Grade III guns.

Regardless, I wish you luck with yours. The wood in the wrist on yours looks like it does not have any of the problems my 20 ga gun had. It should hold up quite well IMO. Plus, the 16 ga Lightnings have a certain magic all their own. No other Citori model or gauge feels, handles, or shoots quite as nicely IMO. They are quite a gun.
huntNnut
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Only one thing to do here, since pictures really don't do the wood justice.

Send it to me, I will inspect it for a couple of months.

Really though, it may not be as figured as some, but I kinda like it. Nice shotgun, I know you will find it easy to shoot.

Have fun with it.

Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:45 am  Reply with quote

I looks O.K. to me. Ont thing for the future if you decide. Get the wood redone with an oil finish. The oil that I use will darken wood a little and could make for more contrast. Just my opinion.

I have a 525 in 16ga. and the wood is very nice, but I just got luckie.

Regaqrds, Gordon

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Looks better than ok, shoot the heck out of it and it will get prettier
Maybe with age the stripes will become more pronounced.
Mike
BPGuy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:23 am  Reply with quote

Actually, I think that's pretty nice wood for an "off the rack" gun. If you want to see some "plain" wood, take a look at the stock on my RBL 16 ga.

MHinGA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:31 pm  Reply with quote

The wood looks OK to me for that gun in that grade. As noted above, it's a mixed bag as far as sight unseen off-the-rack guns go. Hope it shoots well for you!

Heb 13:14
hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:59 pm  Reply with quote

Everyone of us has in our mind what the ideal girl,gunstock,etc should look like Shocked As stated it's a pig in a poke sometimes---I have seen ALOT worse wood on some Brownings---even to the point of being completely mismatched Evil or Very Mad
Band-tail
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:20 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. After reading them I feel better about the wood. Still, not what I was hoping for, but It's a nice gun and I'll enjoy it. Thanks.
oldman
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:05 am  Reply with quote

I think it looks pretty good. Looks like the grain runs the way it should for strength.
CanoeMan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:06 pm  Reply with quote

Thinking of getting one myself.

What's the cast off?

How's the barrel registry (do both barrels shoot to the same point of aim)?

How does it pattern?
GWP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:33 pm  Reply with quote

Looks really nice! Like the other fella said, "Send it to me and I will check it out!" We now have three Browning 16's. The Featherweight has great wood out of the box. The White Lightening could not be more plain. The wifes Grade VII is VERY pretty. It was bought from Bill Hanus using pictures, and no dissappointments there. His gunsmith does a great job on wood refinishing, including stripping Brownings finish and doing oil. Did not have it done on hers, but saw some examples while he was putting cast into her stock. Looks richer, brings out the grain more. I would be happy with yours, particularly if you shoot it well. Congrats on the nice gun!
CanoeMan
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:53 pm  Reply with quote

Talked to Browning customer service today. It seems there is no availability of Gran Lightnings left. Bill Hanus has placed "Sold Out" on his website. Browning customer service said only 26 with 28" barrels and 13 with 26" barrels were made. Seems to be only a special run based on dealer and distributor demand. Browning has removed the Gran Lightning from its website.
Band-tail
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone for the comments. The gun is really starting to grow on me and I like it.

I'm suprised so few Grans were made. I thought they would be more widely available. Glad I got my hands on one. Mine has 28" barrels. Smile