16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington Model 31 16 Gauge
GWP
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:05 am  Reply with quote

I have a Remington Model 31 with a 30 inch barrel in 16 gauge. When I try ejecting a spent shell in the shop it works fine. When I am actually shooting the gun and trying to rapid fire on doubles I can't get the shell to eject unless I pump slow and deliberate. Was this common with this model? I am comparing it to my Model 12 16 gauge that spits a spent shell out if I think about it!
popplecop
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Have 2 in 16 ga., but alas on lend lease to my daughter. Never had any problem with either one of the with extraction or ejection. Wish I had one in hand to look at right now.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:34 am  Reply with quote

NO!! Something might be wrong with your gun, or the ammunition you are using. Mike McIntosh wrote that his father used a model 31 to kill two or three quail in the air at a time, and I've seen it done with others. 31s have a well deserved reputation for slick operation, and are often called the "ball bearing "pumpgun.
It might be time to bring it to a gunsmith if you aren't up to a complete strip and clean of the guns action, and inspection of the ejection mechanism.

Best,
Ted

ron
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:16 pm  Reply with quote

I own a 1949 Model 31 & it has never given me any problems. I agree with Ted get it to a gunsmith.
GWP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:08 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It will eject if I make sure and slide it back with purpose, it is more if I get lazy, or in a hurry. It sounds like I need to take it down and do a 'super' clean on it to see if that is the problem. I had first thought it was a 2 9/16" gun, but the chamber and port measure big enough for a 2 3/4". The gun looked very clean when I got it, so I just oiled it, wiped it down and tried it.
Spike McQuail
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:10 am  Reply with quote

A good cleaning always helps, but it also sounds like you might have a classic case of "short shuckitis" which afflicts everyone who shoots any pump gun eventually.
einstein
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Spike: Been there, done that.Still do,but not with my model 12's. Regards, Einstein Laughing
postoak
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Model 31 Remington, best Damn and smoothest running Cornsheller ever made, IMO. Cool
Bill Layman
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

If you're used to shooting a model 12 you may be short shucking the 31 based on the position of the foreend in relation to the receiver when it is in the fully rearward position. The 31 foreend (corncob style) is almost 1-1/4" closer to the receiver. Try positioning your hand a little further out on the foreend and see if the problem goes away.

Bill Layman
Winchester21
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

GWP - You've got the right idea in taking the gun down and giving it a thorough cleaning. Be sure to clean the area around the extractor housing because dirt or old oil in that area will affect how well it grabs the shell casing. (It could be that the extractor edges are worn down too.)

Also try "Slip 2000 Carbon Killer" with a bronze bristle brush that is rotating by a cordless drill. That older gun may have a lot of built up crud and carbon in the chamber (and barrel) area that needs to be thoroughly cleaned out. I know it made a big difference in my guns.
deer hunter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Just ran mine thru a slow and fast cycle with an empty in the chamber and full shells in the mag and it worked great . Some times with the coontail foreend guns , the shooter short shucks because of the reach to the foreend - not the same as a beavertail . A heavy jacket makes it worse . I usually go 1/2'' shorter on the stocks which will get me in gun collectors hell - but it works .

GWP
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Mine will eject slow as well. I think it is 'short shucking' that is the problem. When I am in a hurry I am just not getting it all the way back. The ejector claw does not come off of the shell, the shell just does not make it all the way out.