16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  You only 16 owner at your clay range to?
Rem16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

I dont know about the rest of you, but Im the only one with 16s at my range. Sometimes get funny looks when asked what we shoot. Gotta get others to shoot 16s!

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:36 pm  Reply with quote

Yes,I am proudly the only 16 shooter at the local club.Still trying to convert the heathen savages Twisted Evil
Flytier
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Yep. But you should see the look on their face when they realize it is an over/under sixteen. It's like they did not even know that was possible.

flytier
Bronco
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:10 pm  Reply with quote

The real eye opener is when I show up with my 16ga hammer double Shocked
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:03 am  Reply with quote

I'll admit that I'm not at the range all the time, but I've never seem another 16 out there with me. What gets allot more stares and questions than the gauge, is the Twist and Damascus barrel guns that I shoot. Laughing
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:31 am  Reply with quote

The fun part is when you jump in on a handicap practice round with a bunch of P-Gunners and hold your own. Makes em start to wonder what that little 6-pound SxS with the funny German name is all about! Wink
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:20 am  Reply with quote

I shoot most Tues. and Sat. at Ben Avery. In the last year, have NOT seen another 16g. shooter and probably only 2-3 other guys with SxSs. AND have not seen an Ithaca M-37 and surprisingly only one other M-12 (Thought there'd be alot more M-12s with all the guys from the Midwest retired out here). Have yet to see a 1100 Trap but a few guys still shoot skeet with 20g 1100s. The majority of shooters are 'mature' fellas with nice SBTs and O/Us-probably more Browning skeet/Sporting guns but plenty of Berettas too. The new shooters all come with a 12g. 870 Express or Win 1300 and 3 dram 1 and 1/8 loads and can't finish a round without lifting their heads off the stock in anticipation of recoil. I usually just give them a box of 7/8 oz 1200 fps loads and they're hitting targets and smiling again. Ben Avery does have 12 and 20g. Beretta 391 loaner guns for skeet and trap.
Fun though how many guys see the SxS in the rack and ask what it is and if they can handle it and after the round seem surprised that you can actually hit clays with one!
Guess we shouldn't be surprised the big ammo makers just aren't interested in us, as Bro. Brown said, 'kooks'.

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:27 am  Reply with quote

At some point in August there will be a couple boxes of 16ga empties in the trash at the club as warmups begin for dove season. I know I'm not the only 16 owner out here, but I believe I'm the only volume shooter of one. I keep all my empties and if there's another like me out there I'm sure he's keeping his, too!
rayb
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:45 am  Reply with quote

regarding 16's as the range: yes, i'm the only one as far as i can tell

and also the only one shooting real gunpowder guns that load in the proper way, from the front of the barrell Very Happy

rayb

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:03 am  Reply with quote

There are two other 16 ga. shooters at the club in Plymouth, Indiana that I regularly frequent, old16 from this forum being one of them, and another friend of mine who bought a 1620 Merkel at Scheel's in Iowa City in 2005, when he saw how much fun I was having with mine.
No one besides old16 and I shoot their 16's as often as we do, and no one I know of besides us reloads for the 16 around here.
Shooters I squad with are always surprised to learn that a good score can still be shot with a 16 ga. You would think to hear them that the 16 is an "antique" for sure...

IDcut
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:27 am  Reply with quote

At the Coeur d' Alene Skeet and Trap club, I think the number or 16 shooters are pretty skinny. There are a few folks originally from the mid-west bird country that shoot 16's. Those guys know what works well!
CH
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

I too am the only 16 toter at the club where I shoot. I love the funny looks when I hammer 24's and 25's at skeet. I wear my 16ga. hat and they don't even call me by my real name anymore. I am known as Mr. 16 Gauge. They all like my DeHaan O/U and are amazed at how well the IC and Mod chokes will break skeet clays. I show them my roll crimp shells and you'd think that they thought I came from Mars.
XVI

Rem16
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:32 pm  Reply with quote

Thnks guys, knew I wasnt alone. Laughing

clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:23 am  Reply with quote

In the 8 years I have been shooting sporting clays I have seen only one 16...an Ithaca pump. The local gunshop where I do all my buying gets exactly two flats of Remington Game Loads in August when he orders in his dove ammo. Usaully will be a few boxes left over, too.
pezman1963
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:55 pm  Reply with quote

Rem16 wrote:
I dont know about the rest of you, but Im the only one with 16s at my range. Sometimes get funny looks when asked what we shoot. Gotta get others to shoot 16s!

We 2 regulars and 2 once in a while types
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger