16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pacific or Hornaday 366
ckirk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:52 am  Reply with quote

Does anybody use a Hornaday (Pacific) 366 for reloading 16 gauges shells? I have one in 20 gauge and have the opportunity to pick one up in 12 gauge. I was wondering about converting one them over to load 16 gauge shells. I notice the Hornady website does not offer complete 16 gauge die sets, but they do some individual pieces in 16 ga. and others are referenced as 12/16 gauge components.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Follow-up:

I called Hornady customer service and was assisted by a kind and informative gentleman. He stated Hornady has discontinued producing 16 ga. accessories for the 366 due to lack of demand. They are just selling what is left of existing stock.

So, on the off chance that someone out there is willing to part with a spare 366 16 gauge die set, please drop me a line. Somebody's bound to have a spare because I know 16 ga. enthusiasts are notorious for hoarding. The question is who is willing to part with it? Confused

Doggai
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:31 am  Reply with quote

I have been slowly changing over a 12 gauge to a 16 gauge but must wait until the snow is deep to finish it up. I found a Pacific Model 155 in 16 and after getting a couple of more parts from Hornady started the process. Since I have a 16 gauge DL-105 it is not imperative that I finish it. Stay in touch, one can never tell the outcome of one of my ventures. Including me. JF

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

Possibly you can order a mix of parts from Hornady that will enable you to do a complete changeover. Best to get them while you still can.

Dan
BigCreekMI
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

I have the conversion kit. Still in box. $350 PPD in Lower 48.

onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:00 am  Reply with quote

BigCreekMI wrote:
I have the conversion kit. Still in box. $350 PPD in Lower 48.

YIKES! A brand spankin' new MEC costs less.

skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Remember, this is the land of supply and demand

The are lots of MECs around, but only one NEW 366 16 gauge conversion set that I know of now Shocked
Doggai
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:32 pm  Reply with quote

When last I check a couple of years ago Hornady staff told me they only a few 16 rotating tables for that gauge. I was buying one for my project at the time. Since the 16 is a minor gauge in my total usage, I am continuing with the DL-105 until I get around to completing the changeover. JF

Browning Double Auto Twelvette
Browning Double Auto Twentyweight
Remington 1100 12 2 barrels
Charles Daly SxS 28
ckirk
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies and thanks to BigCreekMI for the offer. Kinda figured there was a complete die set out there somewhere, but the price would be more than what I am willing to spend. I understand supply and demand. I knew the supply would be short, but my demand is not that great.

I'll probably buy the DL 366 anyways and just reload the 12's with it. If I do, I'll have a Pacific DL 350 up for sale in 12 gauge. Any interest, drop me a line.

Cheers,

Chris

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

I own two Hornady/Pacific 366DL presses, a 28 ga and a .410 model. I rarely use the 28. I have a 28 ga MEC Grabber which is far simpler to operate and far more user friendly when something goes wrong as it often does with subgauge hulls. I'm more or less forced to use the .410 DL366. It's okay when things are going smoothly, but it's a huge pain when something goes wrong.

Keep in mind that 16 ga hulls can be hard to come by, so you will probably end up using your's a few times more than is recommended. Having posted that, I have a 16 ga MEC Grabber which is a joy to use with even the most difficult componants to reload--like a repeatedly reloaded Remington RGL hull and almost any wad. I wouldn't even try to reload these hulls on a 366DL. I'd be a drooling idiot in short order. Laughing

You could probably pick up a good used 16 ga MEC Grabber for far less than half the price of just the parts to convert a 366DL to 16. That's what I suggest. I know you'll thank me later. Anyway, good luck.
ckirk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

16gg,

The Pacific 366 (20ga) and 350 (12ga) are the only loaders I have ever used since they were passed on to me by my grandfather. My initial thought was to keep things simple through consistency in loaders and components. I have not used any other brand of loader so I suppose ignorance is bliss. Your point on the cost of the MEC versus converting a Pacific 366DL is well taken. I ended up buying the Pacific in 12 gauge just because it was so cheap plus it came with a bunch of accessories and components (shot, wads, primers, hulls, etc). I really don't need the loader, but it was a package deal. I figure I bought the components and got a "free" loader.

I am going to try to sell one of the 12 gauge loaders to finance a 16 gauge. Afte doing a bit of research, MEC seems to be the loader of choice for ease of operation and accessory availability.

Thanks for the input.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:30 pm  Reply with quote

You are entirely welcome. I had a now deceased friend who reloaded all his 12 ga trap ammo on a 366DL. He loved it. He also reloaded only carefully culled, premium grade compression formed hulls like Winchester AA or Remington Premier/STS hulls w/ carefully selected matching components. Never had much of a problem. The 366DL works very well under the right circumstances.

However, we 16 ga reloaders are almost never lucky enough to be in the same boat. We are stuck with promo grade throwaways for hulls and a few wads designed to fit as many hulls as possible (but almost never perfectly). We make do. That's how it is. Ain't gonna change any time soon either.

So the good ship "16 gauge Reload" is a leaky, creaky old scow with rotting timbers, and a bilge full of ever increasing water--or so it seems. Laughing Anyway, like I said. Good luck. Wink
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

BigCreek

You still have that conversion kit for a DL366 16 ga. ?