16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  First Fox: 16 ga. Sterlingworth
Leicadave
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:13 am  Reply with quote

I stumbled on this 16 ga. Sterlingworth when picking up another gun (a 20 LC, i sheepishly admit). It's been refinished I'm sure, but looks nice and shoots well...dropped a pheasant a couple hours after I picked it up and before I had the bores opened to Skeet 1 and Improved, a favorite combination that even brings down Old Squaws (did that with my identically choked 16 ga. hammer Bayard a couple of days ago)

It weighs 6.4 lbs. per my scale, and is on a 20 ga. frame, ergo it fits nicely into one of Jeff Outfitters compact cases for the 20/28 with a 28 inch barrel. Couldn't resist putting on a label for the case.

Probably going to be a favorite gun...lighter than the LC Smith 20 ga. field, and ironically the same weight and feel as my Knickerbocker 16 ga. which a friend gave me long ago and I'm now treating with more respect.

So, thought I'd share it with this august group. Oh, shooting low pressure loads in it from the list, of course, and 2.5's from now on.

This link might work...worked in the preview for me. Edited a few of the photos for slightly better quality...ergo some duplicates.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100394988778579105661/AHFox16Ga?authkey=Gv1sRgCIKy6Juci7_31AE

Copy and paste it if necessary[/img]
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:55 am  Reply with quote

Nice, clean gun! I've always thought a sub-6lb sterly converted to a straight grip would be a fun gun to shoot, although maybe difficult to hit well with. Or not. Enjoy!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

What a beauty !!!!!! Cant blame you for not being able to resist.....

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
Mossberg model 190 bolt action
JC Higgins bolt action
Leicadave
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Now if you knew how little I paid for it relative to current offerings I tracked down later....
Leicadave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Hummm, today I calculated that I paid a bit above the new price in 1920 (year of this gun), adjusted for inflation per an inflation calculator.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice. A 16ga Fox is a joy; pretty sure you won't be sorry!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
ejsxs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

Really nice gun, worth keeping in a good case, by the way, where did you get the gun case?

Regards,

EJSXS
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

The buffed-out and polished approach is an interesting alternative to restoring case colors. She looks pretty good for an almost 92 year-old.
sneem
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:17 pm  Reply with quote

The only problem with starting out 16 gauge life with a Sterlingworth is you may not realize its just about as good as it gets. After a while some flashy hussey will come along and you might trade it off for something new. A mistake often made and almost always regretted.

Leicadave
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:07 pm  Reply with quote

Re the case:

This is the compact case for 20/28 gauge, 28" from Jeffs Outfitters. He has it on sale again right now and I'd recommend it as it really is compact and well made, as I have 3-4 of this style case and this is probablyl the best I've found, and also not expensive in canvas and leather.! The label came from Conn. Shotguns; got one for my two LC's which reside in a leather double motor case from Jeff as well.

Second, I appreciate the advice, which is clearly true. But my wife says my problem is I hardly ever sell anything, and I'm very aware of what a fine gun this little Fox is, having carried it for part of an afternoon already. Won't take it anywhere but in the field and won't part with it for quite a while (I hope), until the kids read the inventory and send it to a friend. Still have a John Wilkes 12 ga. boxlock a friend sold me for all of $250 30 years ago, as one example....

Been shooting the Stevens 520 16 for a few years on and off on the bay, but last year used it on an icy morning at the end of the duck season and got way too enthusiastic about 16's. The Bayard brought down an Old Squaw drake with No. 6 ITX the other day, and may get some exercise on eiders in Maine next week

Anybody want to see the Bayard? :>)

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

sneem wrote:
The only problem with starting out 16 gauge life with a Sterlingworth is you may not realize its just about as good as it gets.

Boy, did you nail it!

Last edited by fin2feather on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
gunsrus
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="fin2feather"]
sneem wrote:
The only problem with starting out 16 gauge life with a Sterlingworth is you may not realize its just about as good as it gets./quote]

Boy, did you nail it!

X2
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Leicadave wrote:

Anybody want to see the Bayard? :>)

Yep.