16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Atten Deer Hunter and Mike C. Pheasants Livingston County
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:34 am  Reply with quote

I was up in Mt. Morris area over the weekend hunting some spring geese. 60 mile an hour winds on Saturday gave way to a cold clear morning on Sunday. While I was laying in the feild waiting for Geese I heard Pheasants coming out of the roost. The next few hours I heard about 5 different birds cackling. I hear birds once in a while up in Avon when I'm bowhunting. I took a drive around the block I did not see any shooting preserves. Are ther still some wild birds around up there?
mike campbell
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:30 am  Reply with quote

Kind of what I thought but there was some really nice thick cover and thorny hedge rows. The roosters seemed to be well spread out in all directions. It brought back childhood memories from home when we had lots of pheasants. I thought wow I just woder?
deer hunter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

there are some pockets of wild birds . Used to have a few that may have been related to dinosaurs out almost to Mikey . ( Hamlin , on Ketchum rd) THAT was 15 yrs ago . Diff groups are encouraged (somewhat ) to raise their own and they do . Our GF birds flew everywhere but on the GF . Out Mikey's way , raptors are a BIG problem (flyway along lake Ontario ) I here some crowing occasionally out here , but in talking around , some of the locals have raised them . So if you did hear some , and they are wild , I wouldn't tell ANYONE where !

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

Not saying they are wild just asking the question. I am only there a few times a year and don't presume to know. I value your opinion on the subject and took notice there were some birds and a good amount of what looked like suitable cover. I'm a Grouse guy and wouldn't take the time to hunt them unless there were too may birds to ignore. It was just nice to notice them I don't mind more gamebirds on the landscape. I did see a good number of raptors over the course of the weekend.