16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Duck Guns
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a casual duck hunter (I used to be a duck addict until I discovered pointing dogs, upland hunting and how much more delicious upland birds are), getting out maybe five or six times a year at a local lake in my 10' layout boat. Once in a great while I'll head out to the saltwater. How many of you guys use dedicated duck guns, or do you just make do with whatever 16 you have on hand? Last year I used my ic/f Lefever 12, which works great, but it's frankly too nice to be banging around in a boat. Likewise my 16's. Then again, they are meant to be used. Just curious what you guys do in the same situation.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Rick O
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot pretty much straight sixteen at ducks here in the states, including all of those sea ducks, Harlequin up to White Wing Scoters, there on Puget Sound.

Field grade Model 12, Full or usually Mod. 1 1/16oz Kent TM 5's is what I prefer although I used quite a bit of steel 3's coming out a 1450 this past season and it worked just fine on So Cal birds.

I put a seine twine lanyard from trigger guard to me when in layout boat and give the gun it's usual good cleaning after each use, especially the chamber if in salt.

For me, at least in the area I live and hunt, the upland brush is harder on the gun's finish than typical waterfowl hunting.
Todd
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

I used a 20 gauge FAIR as my dedicated duck and goose gun for years, but also used 12's and black powder at the same time.
I use a hammer double now in 12, but will also use my 16 FAIR O/U this Fall.
If I had to grab one these days, it would be my Pedersoli hammer double.
Cat

Hootch
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:29 pm  Reply with quote

I have an array of shotguns as I do for upland.
I have a 12ga A-5 Mag Stalker that is the gun used most. A browning silver in the same vane, two ten gauges, an 0/u and a SxS. And have used sweet 16 on teal (and others).

16ga will work as any gauge or gun with Tungsten Matrix or the like. No question.

But if you are moving toward steel, then it fails in my opinion. And I don't use steel if using it. (dont much in my 10's either, I will load them up with Nice Shot too)
The 12's well, I can use hevi-shot, steel tungsten matrix whatever and buy off the shelf.

Just don't let people tell you that you can't kill ducks with a 16ga. With the nice shot, it is killer on ducks. And has all the same advantages that apply to upland, light weight, "easy shooter" or Svelt, or whatever adjective that pleases you.

Works great out of layout boat!! I have even toyed with getting an 1100 or win 1400 or maybe a BPS in 16ga and use it JUST for that.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

I hunt ducks once a year during the early season here in Virginia, which means wood ducks and teal. My gun is a beater 1951 Sweet Sixteen with Poly-Choke. Ammunition is Kent TM, the 1-1/4 oz No.5 shot @ 1260fps. I laid in a stock back when the price was $11 a box. I hunt from a canoe and jump 'em.

Dan
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

Benelli Embarassed
Researcher
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Mostly I've used my 12-gauge 3-inch Super-Fox.

But the last Ducks I shot were with a Parker Bros. 2-frame gun with 32-inch 20-gauge barrels chambered for 3-inch shells. Mostly, nowadays I follow my English setter around for Pheasants and Quail. I kind of lost interest in Ducks when the 12 foot cedar rowboat my Father built in 1939 was stolen in 2004. I grew up hunting and fishing out of that old boat and miss it terribly.

That Parker Bros. 20-gauge gun is currantly being restocked, and I may have to try it again on "dem web footed fowls" when I get it back.

1stgun
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot a 20ga Beretta 303 or 16ga Rem 48 Sportsman for early teal season, then switch to a 16ga LC Hunter Special or 12ga Win 24 for big ducks and 12ga Beretta 390 or Mag 10 for geese. Shoot bismuth in all.

Chuck
suddenthunder
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

I love my duck and goose hunting, Early season I start with a Stevens sxs 20ga or J C Higgins sxs 16ga(also 311a stevens) on the ducks or a stevens 311a sxs 12ga ,When it turns to goose season early I pull out my 1909 Ithaca flues sxs 10ga with 2 7/8 rst nice shot, as the season picks up I end up with Ithaca mag 10's to keep up with the geese.
While all of this is going on I fill in the gaps with some upland hunts with an array of other sxs and o/u's .
I just cant get enough of chasing them birds
Im glad to be here! THANKS FOR HAVING ME ALL!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

WELL!!
I rarely use a 16 gauge for waterfowl.
I use either a Standard Weight Rem 1100 with a 3" Mod Vent Rib barrel in 20 gauge
or an Pre-Type 1 Browning Citori with fixed IC/Mod chokes in 12 gauge.
I use an Osagian Freighter Canoe with an OLD 9.5HP Johnson outboard on the square stern.

http://www.osagian.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Osagian&Product_Code=CAN_MO&Category_Code=CANOES
oneeyednine1029
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Before this year , I had never taken a shot at a duck or goose. After about a year of pestering and cajoling , I agreed to go with my buddy Chuck. Now , Chuck used to be a hard core waterfowler until his chesapeake bay retreiver passed a few years ago. I knew lead wasn't allowed , and I had a box of 3 1/2" steel collecting dust , so I grabbed my Mossberg 935. Chuck told me to bring a "mud gun". He later told me this meant a gun I wouldnt mind getting muddy. I figured bigger was better , so I took the Mossberg. Chuck brought his SBE which looked like he drug it behind his car. I have hunted pheasants with Chuck before , and he brought a Citori that looked about the same. I kinda laughed and asked him when was the last time he cleaned his SBE. He laughed more and said , "the last time I shot it". Needless to say , we had a good time and got two black ducks to boot. He cooked them on his grill and with some currant jelly , they were pretty tasty.That was the last day of the season here , but I am looking forward to opening day this fall. And the chance to get my A5 out ..... the 16 , of course.

Savage Fox B model
1972 Reno double barrel
Mossberg model 190 bolt action
JC Higgins bolt action
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like everyone is pretty much all over the board on this one. Thanks for the replies!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
popplecop
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:03 am  Reply with quote

Uncle Dan, I am a confirmed 16 ga. waterfowl shooter. I have two primary 16s for waterfowl. One is a Western Arms Long Range SxS with 30" barrels choked F&F in which I shoot Kent Matrix and Bismuth. Supply of both these is getting down so will start loading Nice Shot. The other shotgun is an Ithaca 37 from 57 with a 28" barrel choked M. I use steel 2s and 4s in this shotgun. Both are great duck guns nad 90% of my duck hunting is over decoys.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:45 am  Reply with quote

popplecop wrote:
Uncle Dan, I am a confirmed 16 ga. waterfowl shooter. I have two primary 16s for waterfowl. One is a Western Arms Long Range SxS with 30" barrels choked F&F in which I shoot Kent Matrix and Bismuth. Supply of both these is getting down so will start loading Nice Shot. The other shotgun is an Ithaca 37 from 57 with a 28" barrel choked M. I use steel 2s and 4s in this shotgun. Both are great duck guns nad 90% of my duck hunting is over decoys.

Cool! Do you find the f/f choked gun to be too tightly choked for shooting over dekes? The Ithaca 37 would be a great rough weather gun too.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:47 am  Reply with quote

That 3" Super Fox is new to me. What a nice looking piece. What's the drop at heel on that one Mr. Researcher?

Reno