16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  The Girls
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:11 am  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
Bear.

LOL, no, they hunt my yard. He's about due for another visit.

Pudle,
I hunt pheasants on the state lands as well as a private gun club or two.
Not many areas near me that have many if any grouse left anymore. Sadly.
I may try to hit Maine this year for grouse and will take at least one of The Girls with me, maybe both.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:17 am  Reply with quote

That's barely possible! Laughing. TJC, the girls remind me of my Heidi dog. She also pointed with her nose right at the bird. It takes all the guess work out of where the bird is. Just look right down their noses and you will see it often enough. I will never quite understand why folks think its a bad trait. I've hunted over setters and pointers who lock up with head up, then you get to guess what they are doing and where in hell the bird is. They might be pointing in the right direction. They might also be testing lenses, or checking out the butt on the cute little Brittany bitch 400 yards on the other side of the field. Who knows? Laughing When old Hiedi pointed, you'd better get the damned safety off and take a stance, 'cause there was going to be action sure as hell.

She also was one not to tolerate some dumb mutt's nose up her butt when she was working. If she was on a bird, then she'd ignore it until after her job was done. Then she'd saunter over and shorten the offending nose by a slight but well placed nip. the lesson in manners never had to be repeated either. She taught it to several of my friends' dogs. They were better off for it too and learned to get along nicely with her--by hunting and not jerking around when birds were in the offing. Your girl is a smart one too I'll bet.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:29 am  Reply with quote

WANYE,LUZERNE AND SHULYKILL Counties in PA not far from the border have some decent hunting in spots. Northern NEW YORK has some damn good grouse hunting. I don't think you can go wrong in maine. Waterfowling over in NJ can be real good. I've shot my share of ducks and geese in South Jersey up to Long Beach Island. Make due with what you got its all fun.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Waterfowl I have around, just have not done it in years. Heck, even got myself a nice canoe but I only use it for paddling the lake.

I'll look into the other areas for grouse. Thanks

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Since you have those nice NAVHDA dogs. I can arrange some good work for them on grouse. They could learn alot from there cousin the Pudelpointer. I have some awsome hunting at my place in New York. Grouse,woodcock,ducks and geese the versitile breeds really shine up there. My partner has a great chessie for late season waterfowl but my dog hunts everything. Do you test you dogs in the NAVHDA tests ?
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:35 am  Reply with quote

We're always looking for places and things to hunt.

Only the brown one, Dixie, was tested for her first round. I didn't plan on breeding and had both dogs spayed so I didn't bother with the test.

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

The tests are more for me to measure the effectiveness of my training and the ability of the dog. Its just another way to stay sharp and learn more effective training techniques and learn more about dogs. Every dog and handler are unique and different its fun to see how different breeds and handlers react to situations. I don't have alot of time for it but I truly believe its vital to the versitile breeds future and the quality of the dogs being produced. NAVHDA's tough standards have improved the quality of every breed involved. The AKC is a joke. I run my new dog (seven months old) this fall in the bushkill chapters test in the pocono's.