16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Opinions on a Winchester Model 1897 pump
WHEAT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 pm  Reply with quote

I really like old Winchesters. The 1897 I always thought was a really neat shotgun. I was wondering if someone had one they could tell me how they like it. I would be using it just for fun. Shooting some clay pigeons mostly, but maybe some partridge hunting. Thanks in advance. RB

Flues16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

My brother has the Model 1897 our great-grandfather bought in about 1905. It's a 12 gauge, I don't think they made it in 16 gauge at the time. It still works fine, he's killed several squirrels with it this year.

It is a neat old gun, and has been used by my family for over 100 years. That has to say something.
WHEAT
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Flues16, Just what I was hoping to hear. Regards RB

1stgun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have my dad's Win 97. It's a 12ga takedown model, 30" barrel full choke. He bought it when he got home from WWII.

It works great shooting 2 3/4" bismuth at ducks and I have taken a few geese too. It cycles like a breeze, has a tight pattern, and with its weight it has great follow through. It looks like it just came out of the factory and I have had some interesting offers for it but it goes to the nephew next. I don't want to let this one get out of the family.

Regards,

Chuck
38super
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 1897 that was made in 1907. Its a 16 gauge. It is one of my favorite guns. I had 2 more 1897's in 12 gauge but once I got the 16 gauge I sold them. The 1897 is a John Browning design, this was based on his 1893 Winchester. I do believe that the 16 gauge became available in 1900. They were only made in 12 gauge and 16 gauge as far as I know. The 12 gauge was available in take down and solid frame. I think the 16 gauge was only available in take down. I really enjoy shooting and hunting with this gun. I prefer it over my Model 12 16 gauge, but I really like that one to. And hopefully on Sat I will have a Ithaca 37 16 gauge to add to the stable. I think if u can get a 1897 u will enjoy it. There was nothing wrong with the 12 gauge's I just prefer the 16 gauge. Also I think all the 12 gauge's are 2 3/4 chambered. Where the 16 gauge are 2 9/16 till the late 20's or early 30's, then they went to a a 2 3/4 chamber.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 pm  Reply with quote

I have my grandpas 97/12 that fits me better than any gun I own. I've killed a lots of gobblers with that one. I have yet to hold one in 16 but I'm looking forward to it.

Reno

bbrown
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:30 am  Reply with quote

I am a 4th generation Mod97 owner. My brother got grandpas, and my dad has had several over the years. Would love to have Great-grandpas, but that ended up on the other side of the family. Mine is a 16ga from 1954 and is one of the last batch built. Love the mechanics of them and they shoot great. Mostly shoot mine at the little round orange birds, but it is always loaded and sleeps 3 feet from me. I figure most intruders know the universal sound of that old Klickitty-Klack, and the extra magazine capacity is good insurance. Plus the mechanism to put a round in the chamber is complex enough that little hands can't do it.

Get one and enjoy it!

-Ben

1 Tim 1:15
Rick O
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:37 am  Reply with quote

A lot of old timers loved those '97's. My grandfather was one, in fact my first Model 12 was one thet he won in 1927 and never cared for, preferring the '97 up to the end.

I used to Really Like the '97. When I was a kid , up into my 20's I swapped back and forth between the '97 and that M12 and I think I preffered the exposed hammer and I just like the way it comes to my shoulder.

I put it away when steel first bacame mandated in our area.

Shot a couple boxes through the sixteen a few months ago at BBB Clays out here and it still worked fine, Full choke and all...

When shooting a Model '97 Be Sure to always wear glasses. They like to spit stuff back past the hammer.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 am  Reply with quote

I took my cannonball model 12 duck hunting with bismuth to back up my 28 over decoys, and immediately decided to bring the 97 the next time. An uncle had the 97, and after blowing two holes through the floor and one through the roof due to a mechanical problem, I asked if I could have it. When he said yes I left quickly enough that he could not change his mind. Cost me 18.00 to fix it, and the klackity klack shucking sound description is is perfect, and made me laugh, thanks!

Reno

deer hunter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:12 am  Reply with quote

I've 7 or 8 - one a 16 ... they are heavy , tough guns . Heavier barrels than m12's and will tolerate more crap . My 16 has had the chamber lengthened , a smith did it without asking - unnecessary as I shoot shorter stuff anyway . I even tried to make a LIGHTWEIGHT version - takedown gun with tube shortened and solid frame fittings ! My fave gun ! They'll handle most anything in 12 ga - even made a 3'' . either ga you need to find an extra ejector sping or 2 and maybe a spare firing pin , then good to go . The only 20 ga is in the CODY win museum .

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am  Reply with quote

And if Mr. Bill paints a model 97 in a fashion similar to the Pink Panther, we are going to have some serious fireside discussion! Deer Hunter is right, model 97's are tanks and will take a beating. Mine is my second fav firearm after my '42.

Reno

deer hunter
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

may paint a ''project'' gun . Tiger stripe ? always thought maybe the m12 mag barrels were 97 barrels , but not the case - my12 mag is HHEEAAAVVVYY ! try to get wifey to caddy , but she's smartening up ... if you are a deer hunter , you can't go wrong with a 97 . Most shoot accurate slugs , balance beautifully , and are the ONLY gun you can cock absolutely quietly by damping the trigger when cocking . Easiest gun to carry - fits in your hand . Unless the action lock is broke , the breach block HAS to be in battery when the hammer drops and the action needs that KICK to unlock . Never apologize for carrying one - always make sure the half cock works - the hammer spring Will make the gun go off even if just setting on a primer ... enjoy !

WHEAT
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:42 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the GREAT information! I have looked on Gun Broker and Guns America. I do have a friend who has an advertising paper. Each week he runs an ad for anyone wanting to sell old guns. I think he got a 1897 last summer. He primary likes SxS shotguns. I am going to see if he will sell it to me. I will keep you posted. Confused RB

bearrowland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:34 am  Reply with quote

I have to say that they point nicer (for me, at least) than any other pump gun. I'd buy one in a heartbeat the first chance I got!

WHEAT
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

I am on it!!! Cool RB