16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Blown up Sterlingworth
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Well, looks like he got 'er sold; $100.00+

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
woodcock
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

While you are all wringing your hands, take a look at the published pressure curves (Sherman Bell, DGJ) for SR7625 and Black. Cetainly everyone will have opinions---Bell has data.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:34 pm  Reply with quote

Another blown up Sterly reported Shocked -this thread might be worth following and it may well have been the re-case coloring Question
http://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7327&page=1&gonew=1#UNREAD

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:17 am  Reply with quote

I wonder if the "experienced gunsmith who advertises nationally" could be our good friend Ed? That must have been a scary experience! Shocked

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Interesting post on DoubleGunBBS

I've had 1 gun re-cased. John Griffin at Classic Guns was very though in questioning me regarding the gun's history. In particular he wanted to know if the gun had ever been re-cased since it left the factory. I am not sure every one with a furnace and quenching tank asks that question. He warned me that a gun can only be subjected to this process so many times before damage is done. Either the metal will warp or become brittle. It is very difficult to know the full history of a 70-90 year old gun.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

And most often you wouldn't know for sure; another reason to question the upgrading of guns. I must admit I don't understand our fixation with making things "new" or "better" (read "higher up the scale"); is it an American thing?

I'm not trying to insult anybody who does upgrade guns, neither the owners nor the folks who do the work, some of which is very fine indeed. And I guess I get it that some want to personalize a gun they're particularly fond of. Then there's the honest desire to bring back to life a gun that's no longer usable. But to take an honest field drade gun and gussie it up...ol' Fin just doesn't get it.

The safety issue is one I'll admit I hadn't thought of, but like somebody in the doublegun thread said, I'll live with muted case colors and hope to keep all my fingers Very Happy !

Fin

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

Here's another one Shocked
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64168439

hunshatt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Fin it's the hot rod mentality, or whatever you'd call the desire to make something, not nessisarily better, but different. Kathi bought her little 2 bed ranch, I just had to knock down walls raise the ceiling , put in a fancy kitchen, hardwood blablabla. at the end of the day it "fits" us and out lifestyle. My 41 hatteras, I couldn't be happy with it being a classic convertable(sportfish) I cut the flybridge and house off and am making it into a express style boat. Like I don't have enough to do at work. I've still got that lc 16ga project going, but the smth is holding me up. For me alot of the pleasure is in the doing(I've been told I've got add, but that another story) not really in the being done.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:09 pm  Reply with quote

This looks like a gun that was restored all around, and I'd bet those barrels were honed till paper thin.

Look at the length of that tear, the way the edges curl back etc. That metal is THIN.

I am speculating that this gun was restored to death.....

If you buy a gun that has been extensively restored you need to measure wall thickness!

Jeff
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:38 am  Reply with quote

Jeff: That's the concensus on DoubleGunBBS also.

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Even if you don't have a wall thickness gauge. (Which I think are a pain in the rear end to use.) You can check the bores. If they are .015" or .020" over the standard. You might want to avoid the gun. Bore gauges are quick and easy to use.