16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington 31L, reworked
calebg
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:14 pm  Reply with quote

I thought I'd share a recent project with you guys.

Early this year I bought a 16ga Remington 31L from a shop in Maine, sight unseen. It arrived with a 28" modified barrel, pretty dull wood, and some marks on the receiver.

Generally, though, it was in decent shape for a 65 year old gun.

I wanted to use it for ruffed grouse here in Minnesota, so I decided to make some changes.

- I had the barrel trimmed to 25" and recrowned.
- Mike Orlen was unable to choke tube it, so for now it's a true cylinder. I may leave it that way, or if I really like it I may send it to Briley.
- The LOP was short (a little shy of 14"), so I squared off the butt and installed a brown Decelerator pad to make the LOP 14.5".
- I like straight grips, so I took a rasp and sandpaper to the grip. I ended up with a straight stock and a much slimmer wrist.
- I stripped what little finish was on the gun off and refinished with Tru Oil.

After the changes the balance point shifted from an inch or two down the barrel to right on the joint of the barrel and receiver. I see that as a positive change for the sort of hunting I do.

The gun weighs 5 pounds 7 ounces after the work.

I'm looking forward to hitting the logging trails with this old pump gun in a couple months.

Last edited by calebg on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Calebg, very nice job. I have a 1948 Rem 31l, 28" brl, and mod choke,

It has no finish left on the receiver but about 70-80% blue on brl.

I really like the smooth action, best of any gun I have ever used and that includes an Ithaca M37T made in 1941.

That gun looks terrific!

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:50 pm  Reply with quote

Well done
Great job
Pleased to have a gun that fits and works
for your intended purpose

Mike

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice--a gun to be proud of Cool Now to get those misses out Laughing
drcook
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:01 am  Reply with quote

Nice job !

Thanks for sharing. Being unfamiliar with them, what are the receivers made from (steel/aluminum) ?

It is great when a tool (in this case your shotgun) feels like it is an extension of your arm/hand/body. With the balance point shifted like that and you felt it to be able to say so, it became an extension, instead of something being carried.

I like seeing everyone's projects.

Why was M. Orlen unable to choke tube it ? Colonial also will install choke tubes and they have some thin wall ones.

Do you have a dial caliper to measure the ID / OD of the barrel. Colonial and probably Briley have required dimensions on their site as to what is the minimum/maximum that will accept the choke threads safely.

Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 am  Reply with quote

31L's have an aluminum receiver. The standard 31 was steel. The finish was not blue, but, anodizing.

Best,
Ted

drcook
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:07 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I had to take a look, there is 1 steel one for sale on gunbroker and 1 on Armslist. The one on Armslist is in really nice shape. Both 16ga of course.

Researcher
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:26 am  Reply with quote

Looks like a great little upland pump gun!! Congrats.

Remington Arms Co., Inc. introduced the Model 31L lightweight series when they introduced the 1941 version Model 31 with the larger trigger group. The Remington literature of the day called the receiver "Aeromet" -- a tough, light alloy developed and used in the airplane industry. When originally introduced in 1941 it was only offered as a 12-gauge in Standard, Skeet or Trap guns. Even though they were all over it in their catalogues and special advertising brochures issued in 1941, the catalogues carried this notice -- "Deliveries of this model delayed indefinitely due to raw material shortage." The Model 31L varieants are not listed in the January 2, 1942, Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalogue.

By the Jan. 7, 1947, Remington Arms Co., Inc. catalogue the Model 31L lightweight variants are offered in all three gauges, and in Standard, Trap and Skeet guns. Same for 1948. By the 1949 catalogue the Model 31L is only mentioned under the Standard Grade, no mention of lightweight target guns.

Steel below, "Aeromet" above --

last dollar
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:39 am  Reply with quote

That is neat..I am no big fan of pump guns, but that one I would own...I betcha after you hunt it some, you wont even think about choking it..congrats
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:56 am  Reply with quote

love that job ! Have a 2 bbl one just like it . Both full . Have been thinking about doing that to the plain barrel - have to think about the Eng . stock ! about bal - would do it with the shells in the gun (3,4,5 ? just because it's a lot diff with or without the s hells )

dilly
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:22 am  Reply with quote

That gun looks great. Stock has nice grain pattern.

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

Like LD, I'm no great fan of pump guns either, but if I had one it would get the same treatment as this 31L. Great job, looks terrific and I bet it handles very nicely.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
calebg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
31L's have an aluminum receiver. The standard 31 was steel. The finish was not blue, but, anodizing.

Best,
Ted

Was the aeromat receiver actually anodized? I ask because most anodized objects I've used have tended to be extremely hard and also nonreflective. The finish on this receiver doesn't appear to be especially durable (significantly less durable than conventional bluing) and it's shiny.

As Cheyenne08 notes above about his own gun, it's not unusual to see the 31Ls with all the finish worn off the receiver while the bluing is still in good shape.

I have wondered whether the finish on the 31Ls wasn't just an early spray-on deal, although I don't know.
calebg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:53 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
love that job ! Have a 2 bbl one just like it . Both full . Have been thinking about doing that to the plain barrel - have to think about the Eng . stock ! about bal - would do it with the shells in the gun (3,4,5 ? just because it's a lot diff with or without the s hells )

I doubt you would regret adding versatility to a two barrel set by having one shorter and open barrel and one long and tight barrel. Of course, it depends on the type of hunting and shooting you do, and whether you think you'll want to resell your gun.

As for balance, I haven't checked it with shell loaded. During woodcock season we have to plug our guns, and I often don't bother to pull the plug out for the end of the season. I'm pretty used to using my pumps as three-shots. With one in the chamber and just two in the mag, I expect the balance will shift a little more forward, but since the weight is still between the hands I doubt if it'll make a huge difference in how the gun handles. I guess I'll have to try it and see. So far I've only shot this gun as a single shot at the range.
calebg
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:54 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:

I doubt you would regret adding versatility to a two barrel set by having one shorter and open barrel and one long and tight barrel. Of course, it depends on the type of hunting and shooting you do, and whether you think you'll want to resell your gun.

As for balance, I haven't checked it with shells loaded. During woodcock season we have to plug our guns, and I often don't bother to pull the plug out for the end of the season. I'm pretty used to using my pumps as three-shots. With one in the chamber and just two in the mag, I expect the balance will shift a little more forward, but since the weight is still between the hands I doubt if it'll make a huge difference in how the gun handles. I guess I'll have to try it and see. So far I've only shot this gun as a single shot at the range.

Last edited by calebg on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total