16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Remington 31L, reworked
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Looks good! I had a lightweight 31 for a very short time. Too whippy for me and I couldn't hit a damned thing with it.
calebg
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

After a few days hunting with this gun, I really like it.

I like it enough that I may send it to Briley for thin wall chokes so that I can use it for pheasants. For grouse and woodcock it's just fine as it is.
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Does Orlen do back boring? If the forcing cone is lengthened for plastic wads, and the bore opened some it would have a denser pattern but the size of a cylinder choke. Shoot 7n's for Woodcock 6's for Grouse and 4's for Pheasants all with the same larger pattern.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:25 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
Does Orlen do back boring?

Mike Orlen's price sheet does list back boring.

zoeyku
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:41 am  Reply with quote

The standard 31 was steel. The finish was not blue, but, anodizing.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I did a mini lightening of mine in lieu of going to MOO . I didn't do English on the stock , but can get it close by boring thru the grip tongue . Went with 26.5'' on the barrel cut , hoping to leave some choke - it just creams skeet birds . Success ! . While the opp presented itself , I left the barrel beadless to do some beadless shooting . To my surprise , worked well . Till I actually get some pheas in front of it , I'll shoot my 24 gram loads - happy happy - shoot soft even in that lightweight pump ! Glad the orig poster encouraged me to do this ! (just use a snap on bead so that it can be shot either way , beadless or beaded )

calebg
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:35 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
I did a mini lightening of mine in lieu of going to MOO . I didn't do English on the stock , but can get it close by boring thru the grip tongue . Went with 26.5'' on the barrel cut , hoping to leave some choke - it just creams skeet birds . Success ! . While the opp presented itself , I left the barrel beadless to do some beadless shooting . To my surprise , worked well . Till I actually get some pheas in front of it , I'll shoot my 24 gram loads - happy happy - shoot soft even in that lightweight pump ! Glad the orig poster encouraged me to do this ! (just use a snap on bead so that it can be shot either way , beadless or beaded )

Cool - any pictures?
fn16ga
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:27 am  Reply with quote

[quote="byrdog"]Does Orlen do back boring? If the forcing cone is lengthened for plastic wads, and the bore opened some it would have a denser pattern but the size of a cylinder choke. Shoot 7n's for Woodcock 6's for Grouse and 4's for Pheasants all with the same larger pattern.[/quote

He also does jug chokes, that would be another option.
calebg
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:12 pm  Reply with quote

This 31L might be one of my favorite grouse guns ever.

dap
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:10 am  Reply with quote

calebg wrote:
Agreed!

We both owe Checo a big thanks.
calebg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

dap wrote:
calebg wrote:
Agreed!

We both owe Checo a big thanks.

Absolutely. The 31 is a great gun with a really low profile.
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

I had pretty much the same idea as Caleb for this M-31L, bought through this board from Danny Pratt in early 2012. I'm not as avid a grouse hunter, probably won't hunt Minnesota grouse this season until some time in December. And I haven't used a pump gun in about 30 years, so will expect some second shot hiccups. But I couldn't be happier with the feel of this gun. I need a staighter than standard comb, and I like straight grips, so had it restocked. Mike Orlen trimmed the barrel to 26" and jug-choked it to .005. It was 5 lbs. 5 oz. when I got it, now is 5 lbs. 9 oz. and a bit less weight forward -- balance point is now a bit forward of the bottom receiver port.

Jay

strato-caster
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:53 am  Reply with quote

If you don't mind me prying, was it reasonable to have it restocked with that nice piece of walnut and who did the work for you? It is lovely...

I might have to keep an eye open for a 31L in 16. i was already planning on getting the standard 16 to keep its little 20 ga. sister company.
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:46 am  Reply with quote

strato-caster wrote:
If you don't mind me prying, was it reasonable to have it restocked with that nice piece of walnut and who did the work for you? It is lovely...

Thanks, I'm happy with how it turned out. As for cost, total I have into it isn't what I'd call reasonable, ended up costing much more than I expected. I paid for standard wood at Macon Gunstocks and lucked into this as what was available "off the shelf". I'd not use them again for shaping and installing. They assured me they'd fit to my specs at their standard install rate, but missed on almost everything and left way too much wood at the stock head and throughout -- looked like a 12 ga. stock not worked down to fit, even at the stock head. Couldn't get them to make it right, so went to Dennis Earl Smith (the Stock Doctor) to fix it, very happy with his work.

Jay
calebg
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Wow, Jay, your gun turned out beautifully! Even though I'm sure the process was frustrating, the end result is just stunning. If you ever need a good home for it, let me know. Surprised

Good luck grouse hunting with it later this fall.