16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New SxS recommendations
BayouBuck
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:24 am  Reply with quote

I am in the market for a new 16ga. I am a proud owner of a sweet 16 and love the gun. But it looks like it is going to be in the shop this dove season and I need a replacement gun. I am intrested in the Huglu SxS from one of the resalers, but would like some views on any other 16's out there. I Have never had to buy a bird gun so this is all new to me. I read alot on the net but its all Greek. I was given a light twenty and sweet 16 when I was 15 and 10 years later never had use for another shotgun, so any insight would be helpful
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Buck if I were in the market for a currently manufactured 16 gauge double I would definately go with the De Haan S2 series with 28 inch barrels and straight grip.

One heck of a lot of gun for $819.00 (plus transfer costs).

Mark De Haan has the best warantee going.
BayouBuck
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks twice barrel,

Can you tell me why 16 ga only come with fixed chokes, unlike other ga.'s
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

BB, since you already have a Browning and obviously trust the name, why not go with a 16 ga. Citori? They can be had in clean used shape for 1100 to 1200 if you shop smart, plus they have choke tubes and the backing of perhaps the best domestic gun company around. The single barrel plane of an O/U will be easier to adapt to if you've been shooting a repeater. The weight won't be much different either. The handling will be crisper and more centered between your hands though. If your present gun's stock has the modern drop to comb and heel, you will also immediately be comfortable with the Citori, fit wise. i'd shoulder any gun you intend to buy for fit though. some guns can be quite different than yours. This will ultimately determine your choice...or should.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

BayouBuck wrote:
Can you tell me why 16 ga only come with fixed chokes, unlike other ga.'s

Because most 16ga shooters don't fool with their guns; they just shoot 'em Laughing !

Fin

Last edited by fin2feather on Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

Fin's response is as good as any I can give you.

Maybe the Turks have it figured out and know that 16 gauge shooters don't need any other chokes.

Give Mark DeHaan a call and ask him why.
XVIgauge
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:56 am  Reply with quote

Go w/ the DeHaan. As for the choke tubes, I don't care for them anyway. I have heard that they may become available in the future, but don't worry about it. The I.C and Mod. chokes are all you need. I won the Bronze Medal in the Florida State Shooting Games skeet division using my DeHaan U2 w/ IC and Mod choked barrels and never felt handicapped at all.
XVI

Birdawg
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

I think the DeHaan is the best value out there. I will mention a couple of the thing that put me off slightly. The side plates are nicely done for any gun in this price range but they are bright as the gun comes from the box. It takes about 10 minutes to tone them down a bit. The other thing is the gun is a bit heavier than some 16 side by's. Mine is about the same weight as my Mdl 21 which is good company. The weight is also great for those late season pheasant or waterfowl loads. Not as nice to carry all day but I usually only walk for 3 or 4 hours a day and the extra few ounces don't really matter since the gun is well balanced. As for choke tubes. I ask Mark about this and they can be added but I have several guns with them and and several without I rarely change chokes so I opted to not bother. As for the Citori. They are ok for what they are but they are not a SXS Wink

to be considered flaws or defects.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 am  Reply with quote

I would definently go with the DeHann for the money. I've got a 20ga Huglu and a 28ga. Huglu and they are great guns for a fantastic price. If I would've known about DeHann at the time, that's what I would've gotten. My guns are the same model as the DeHann, I just don't have his warranty.
hamblin113
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:18 pm  Reply with quote

The SO has the twin triggers, english grip, and no sidplates. Why do they put fake side plates on a box lock for any way. Mine weights right at 6 lbs, 11.75 oz with 28" barrels. It is less expensive than th S2. The stock is bent for right hand shooters. The SxS is harder to hit with than my ithica pump.

Screw in chokes make the end of the barrel look straight and clunky, not curved and sexy like fixed chokes.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

Why the DeHaan, everyone? Last I looked DeHaan had a two year warranty. The same gun imported by CZ USA has a five year warranty, I believe. And from some of the postings over on Shotgunworld I would take the gun with the 5 year warranty as you may need it.

I am still very leary of Huglu shotguns.

What about the Ugartechea from Lion Country? I have no personal experience with them but they seem to have a good rep on the web.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

One reason, Clayflinythingy, may be price. Just from a quick search, it seems LCS is selling its Grade 1 Ugartechea SxS guns for $1,295. That's about $635 more than DeHaan's SO model, and $475 more than his S2 model.

Personally, like you, I'm not totally sold on the Turkish guns and would be inclined to go with a Uggie. But that's if I had the difference to spend.

If I didn't, I might try one of DeHaan's guns. If nothing else, it seems his customer service is quite good.
Chief Bob
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

The SXS and O/Us are fine, but give a used Winchester M-12 in 16ga. It is light (on a20ga frame), a natural pointer, an American classic, and reasonably priced. Get one with an IC choke and you will never be sorry!
DougK
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:51 am  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel wrote:
Fin's response is as good as any I can give you.

Maybe the Turks have it figured out and know that 16 gauge shooters don't need any other chokes.

Give Mark DeHaan a call and ask him why.

My Stoeger has fixed chokes. It is cheaper to make a gun with fixed chokes. But also, the belief is most 16ga shotguns are used for bird hunting, hence the fixed chokes which are optimum for birds.

If I where to do the 16 ga purchase over again I would look for a good condition LeFever.

Maybe I should do that anyway. Shocked Oh I should not Confused Given we just had a lovely baby and I am purchasing another combo. Maybe I should Twisted Evil Nah. I will wait... Shocked

Doug
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:27 am  Reply with quote

call me simlpe but why not another Sweet 16? You're familiar with it in all respects and it would never surpass in favor the one you were gifted - once you get your browning back you could sell it off or keep it as you choose.

Now if you're set on getting a double, well - these guys are doing a fine job of it and I'll just sit back and take notes.

good luck