16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New SxS recommendations
ioannes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Chief Bob wrote:
The SXS and O/Us are fine, but give a used Winchester M-12 in 16ga. It is light (on a20ga frame), a natural pointer, an American classic, and reasonably priced. Get one with an IC choke and you will never be sorry!

I agree Chief Bob!!!!

ioannes
drake
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:05 am  Reply with quote

I have owned Uggies in all guages for the past 15 years and shot them hard. Never a malfunction.
For the money, it is the best "Spanish" SXS out there.
Durable, light, well balanced. Entry models start at $1295

drake
GSPSPINONE
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

I own a CZ/Huglu Ringneck, .28 GA (I know, I know) and the fit and finish is excellent, engraving is minimal but nice. I have had no major malfuntions but the gun is a bit too tight and the lever sometimes sticks to the right so the gun won't lock up without a bit of manual adjustment.

I also own an plain as can be Ugartechea Grade 1 in 20 GA (yeah, yeah, yeah...) and the gun is extremely well built, feels great, points great and operates flawlessly. Plus, if you site down the Uggie barrels there isn't a hint of a ripple or soft line, they are struck straight as a laser. Doing the same to the CZ's barrels gives one the effect of looking down a rippling creek. Clearly, the Uggie is a better contructed picece of equiptment. It's also about $500.00 more but this might fall under the "you get what you pay for" argument. Save up your money and go for the Uggie in 16 GA.

And, Oh Yeah, I also have a 1927 Ithaca NID in 16 GAUGE that I'm redoing completely. I'm currently fitting a new stock and fore end (Grade 5 wood), had the barrels re-blued and am about to send the reciever out for a re-do on the case hardening. When all is said and done the Uggie and the CZ won't be seeing too much action.
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

GSP: Finally nice to know you own at least one 16 ga! Laughing
GL Shooter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:42 am  Reply with quote

welll, the DH, CZ and H are all good guns to an extent. However I've owned a ruger Gold Label for over a Year and had no problems. I luckly paid $1,800. it was a great buy. Hopefully you can get your AMERICAN MADE SXS for that too.
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:10 pm  Reply with quote

if ruger made the gold lable in a 16gauge i would grab it up in a minuet. i love my ruger red labels.
Ben
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:47 am  Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more Ben-we had a thread going about a 16g Ruger about the time of the SHOT show and the word was not much chance. And now the GLs are out of production until Ruger gets some quality control issues resolved Confused

Fluesy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:10 am  Reply with quote

Good Morning BB-I would make the decision about what action type I wanted first, i.e. auto, o/u, pump, SxS etc. Then make the decision on what brand I wanted. Then you have to complicate the decision with New vs. used. I recently got a new/used Citori 16, very happy with the gun, would buy it again in a blink. Also have a Huglu/CZ 20 Gauge Ringneck w/tubes, I used it this year for Doves and last year for quail, it is a nice little gun and I haven't had a minutes trouble with it. I made a double on Doves with it at what had to be 50 yds if it was an inch, I guess the planets must have aligned right or I held my mouth just so. What I found is a very crisp handling gun and with choke tubes it gives you some choices, I would buy it again in a blink. Now fixed chokes, aren't a problem either, my 16 Gauge Flues is choked I/C and Imp Mod, it hasn't been a handicap at all. I like them all, but am finding myself drawn to the SxS's they are just Cool !!!! Depending on a person's budget another choice are the Remington/Baikal Spartans, not sure if the 16 Gauge comes with choke tubes or not. I own a 410 & a 28 Gauge, one a Remington, one a Baikal. Not the prettiest guns in the safe but, when I do my stuff right they back it up. May not be the best looking girls at the dance but they know how to dance to any music the band will play. Glad to be able to throw my $.02 in and confuse the issue.
Goo dLuck
Chet
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:59 am  Reply with quote

You don't mention price anywhere in your orig post so why not consider the Merkel 1620? Great gun, well made, will last forever and if you are so inclined you can have Briley do choke tubes for you.

A Citori would not be a bad choice either. I prefer the Feather but the standard Citori is a nice gun also.

Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:28 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew, what issues are ruger having with the gold lables? this is the first i have heard of this.
Ben[/quote]