16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Browning 16GA Advice
Swiftmotoring
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:54 am  Reply with quote

I have been looking to add a Sweet Sixteen to my A5 Light Twelve for some time now and have determined that the Sweet Sixteen is out of my price range. While shopping for the Sweet Sixteen I have come across a very nice standard A5 Belgian, 1961, that I am seriously considering. The gun is a 7 out of 10, no issues and no modification gun. This gun will not see a tremendous amount of use as I enjoy my Citori's for most shooting I do. My question is; how does the standard A5 stack up against the Sweet Sixteen and will I be sorry in the long run that I didn't hold out for a Sweet Sixteen? The price on the standard A5 is $575.
Thanks

popplecop
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:41 am  Reply with quote

I think that there is only 6 07 0z. different between my 1932 Standard 16 and my Sweet from 62 with the 28 VR barrel.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

what I like about the Sweet Sixteen is the name. The first time I saw one a friend was showing it to me. when he called it that I thought he was making it up. But there it was right in front of me cut in steel. It has a lot of connections for me. Mostly it is something you got to love.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Flues16
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:05 pm  Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with a standard A5 16ga for $575, but I picked up a decent Sweet 16 for $650 plus shipping on Gunbroker last winter. Made in 1951, 26" IC barrel.

Many sellers want more than that for a Sweet, but I think there are still some good deals out there. As byrdog said, the name is what sold me - I saw my first one in 1967 and I never forgot how pretty it looked to me as a young man. It was way out of my price range then, but I always wanted one!

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

It sounds much better to say"I have a sweet 16"---Hold out save your pennies and keep looking.
kgb
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

If you don't have it in mind that the gun must say Sweet on it, a standard gun should suit just fine. If the standard you are considering is choked as you wish, along with being sound and functioning properly, it sounds like a good deal that I think would make you happy. If possible, see if you can shoot it first.

If you're not going to shoot it much anyhow, what's the good of being able to say "I have a Sweet Sixteen.....at home" ? Smile

For several years I used a standard 16 then last year bought an unmarked lightweight 16. The standard gun had a lot of choke in its Full barrel, useful for some shooting and not so useful for other, and I traded it while keeping the Modified-choked lightweight. The only thing I wish my gun had was speed loading. A 1961 gun would have that.

Kirk
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

According the chart that I have posted below there is a 9 oz. difference between the Standard and the Sweet.

Browning BPS Upland Special
gunsrus
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:21 am  Reply with quote

I'd save for the ''SWEET'' .
Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Swiftmotoring wrote:
I have been looking to add a Sweet Sixteen to my A5 Light Twelve for some time now and have determined that the Sweet Sixteen is out of my price range. While shopping for the Sweet Sixteen I have come across a very nice standard A5 Belgian, 1961, that I am seriously considering. The gun is a 7 out of 10, no issues and no modification gun. This gun will not see a tremendous amount of use as I enjoy my Citori's for most shooting I do. My question is; how does the standard A5 stack up against the Sweet Sixteen and will I be sorry in the long run that I didn't hold out for a Sweet Sixteen? The price on the standard A5 is $575.
Thanks

I'd hold out for the Sweet also. You may find, as I did, that you will be shooting the Sweet more than your Citori's. I only use my 16 ga. Citori for field trials any more.

You can probably expect to pay double what the Standard costs for a Sweet. But if you are patient and keep looking you will come across a good deal. I wanted a 26" Vent Rib barrel with IC choke and eventually found one at a good price. I paid under $900. Gun has been used but in real nice condition. Reason I got it for less is that the stock had been cut and an ugly brown white line recoil pad installed. I bought a black Browning recoil pad and had it installed. Looks much better.

Let us know what you are looking for and maybe we can help find it. Condition, vent rib or plain, choke, etc.

Browning BPS Upland Special
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:04 am  Reply with quote

If money is a concern, consider the Savage 720 or the Rem 11, both A5 designs. My 26 inch plain barrel 720 weighs 7 lbs 4oz, virtually the same as the chart shows for a standard weight browning.

sneem
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:18 am  Reply with quote

In the same area are the early Rem 11-48's. Basically an A5 action but much cheaper. Usually in the $250-$300 range. I shot mine in SD last week and its a keeper.

rudolph31
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Art's Gun Shop has a selection of Auto-5s. Here is a good deal on a Sweet Sixteen.

http://artsgunshop.com/site_map_Gunroom_Shotguns_Detail.php?recordID=717
Swiftmotoring
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the great advice. I have decided to stick with my original plan which is: Light Twelve, Sweet Sixteen, Light Twenty. In my opinion, these 3 are Holy Grail, no excuse Brownings and at the end of the day...why not wait until the right deal comes along for Holy Grail! If anyone knows of or has a Sweet Sixteen or Light Twenty that is reasonable...please pass along the information.
Marvin

sl93z
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:06 pm  Reply with quote

Good call Swift. For me it was worth the extra dollars for the Sweet Sixteen. Pay once, cry once.
sl93z
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:20 pm  Reply with quote

Here you go

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2334818/myrtle-beach-south-carolina-shotguns-for-sale--browning-sweet-sixteen-16ga-shotgun