16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite Gun Games
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry Mike! Forgot about your heritage, just want to invite you up for the next peak in grouse numbers. You'd enjoy that. Reno

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Very Happy
pbeaver
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

For "gun games" I use rifles, high power service rifle and some smallbore. I practice with my shotguns for bird hunting, which resembles a religion more than a game.

Phil
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:58 am  Reply with quote

1) Sporting Clays
2) 5 Stand
3) FITASC
4) Skeet

I shoot a mixture of 12 ga and 16 ga on all except FITASC, I reserve the 12 ga for FITASC since I don't get chance to shoot it often and it is always a competition. I have to use the gun I shoot the best with for FITASC.

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 am  Reply with quote

I notice a distinct tendency of this forum's shooters to favor games with shots of variety and gun movement -- not surprising for enthusiasts of a gauge most suitable for upland bird hunting. Yes, some of us shoot a variety of interesting shots at waterfowl, too, but the 16 shines best when you have to carry it and react very quickly -- that's the case with upland shooting. Though trap is a good game, it is gratifying to see trap at or near the bottom of the list of most respondents, as it can ingrain habits ill suited to game shooting, and the techniques of some serious trapshooters (not all, not all....but a lot) are fundamentally wrong for game shooting. Now, international trap -- that counts in my book. Skeet is my favorite, but in its gun-mounted present form for US registered shooting, it can be subject to some of the same criticisms of relevancy to game shooting as is trap. Frankly, sporties has become that way, too. But at least skeet contains considerable gun movement, and it is so interesting to see how many respondents use the skeet field in creative ways to sharpen their gameshooting skills. It's the field; that's what's good about skeet. The skeet field is a compact way to quickly create a variety of shots that can foster good gameshooting habits -- just as it originators planned. It's the original "sporting clays" game. Of course now, modern sporties can offer greater variety depending on the course, and it often has the benefit of more pulchritudinous surroundings. Still, for a quick game, most relevant to upland game shooting, gun-down skeet's the one for me.
BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:44 am  Reply with quote

shootingsioux wrote:
Still, for a quick game, most relevant to upland game shooting, gun-down skeet's the one for me.

Your points regarding gun down skeet are well taken; but, for me, shooting the wobble clays set up (gun down) at my local club is better practice for hunting upland birds with pointing and flushing dogs.

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 am  Reply with quote

I like sporting clays for pre-bird season practice. Unfortunately, before the 2007 financial malady, we had two ranges within 20 miles of my house. Now we are down to one. Years ago, I shot Registered Trap and League Trap, but sold the gun and bought an NRA High Power bolt gun. I shoot trap about once a year with a group of hunters who go to Western Kansas for a pheasant hunt. Tradition dictates we stop at Oakley and shoot a few rounds.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:22 am  Reply with quote

The only gun game I play is some pasture clays to warm up for bird season. I bought an electric trap this year but haven't tried it out yet. However, if the bird numbers don't some back soon that may change Crying or Very sad .

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 am  Reply with quote

I'm fortunate to have had the chance to shoot live trap in Pennsylvania in 1980 at a private rod and gun club. This is the sport that made it to the Olympics for one year before it was banned. I'm going to gear up for pigeon shooting this year in the farmyard setting using the windshield wiper motor driven twirling decoys on dairy farms. There are tons of birds that leave the cities and graze in the country and the farmers are happy to have the numbers thinned.

Helice or ZZ bird setups look fun. I've seen YouTube videos of that game and it seems to be based upon the live trap format; you have a puller that pulls targets in unknown order and you have to drop them inside a short fence beyond the launch site. They are plastic looking targets that have props and are unpredictable when they launch. They seem to be more popular than argentina clays so I think I will have a better chance to experience that one day.

This winter I am shooting 5 stand from a heated tractor trailer that has five windows. There is no league so you compete against yourself and the targets are not too difficult so the 28 gauge SxS with 9's has been a lot of fun.

I have to also mention the jackelope shoot in Bismarck that is a sporting tournament composed of rabbit targets only each year. There are ten stations for a round with a five stand set up as another game that bounces rabbits off of a trampoline for some goofy shooting.

I love to shoot, watch others shoot, and teach kids and wives how to shoot. Games add fun, target variety, and comraderie to the sport and I have a great time as long as I pay attention to applying the fundamentals to each game.

Reno

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:46 am  Reply with quote

I hates wabbits! Laughing

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

Jag - on the other hand Molly loves em !

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:02 pm  Reply with quote

Good for her. Stubby and Lottie don't hunt fur. They would rather hunt birds (equal opportunity for all species) but make an exception to the no fur policy for mice. They are not very good at catching mice, though.

Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:54 am  Reply with quote

Skeet and the other clay target games. Can't hunt any more. I used to love chasing bunnies with my beagles. Something about a beagle baying on a track is good for the soul.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:58 am  Reply with quote

I prefer wobble skrap above all others. It's shot from the walkway behind the skeet stations from 1 through 7; station 8 isn't used. Normally the shooter gets three tries at each station, meaning hitting with the first shot saves shells. The shooter who ends up with the last unfired shell is the winner. If scores are kept, as in a tournament, the most hits is the winner.

Dan
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:09 am  Reply with quote

I haven't shot a wobble trap in a very long time and I know that I would enjoy it. The last time was on a dock over water and the birds came from under you feet. When you missed, you saw your pattern on the water.

Reno