16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite Gun Games
Richtrashman
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:35 am  Reply with quote

My favorite game is blasting an unexpecting feathered creature out of the sky, or a furry creature out of a tree or briar patch. After that I will powder some orange and black featherless birds if I get bored.

rudolph31
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:06 am  Reply with quote

My friends and I tried "Crazy" last night. "Easier than Skeet" one said. None of us broke 20, and none of us hit both targets sitting in the ref's chair. FUN!
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:46 am  Reply with quote

He he he
You can see how crazy (shooting skeet from the trap stations +) will prime you for fast action.
Very few folks can shoot 25 straight.
Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:28 am  Reply with quote

walk up trap with a small bore can be great bird practice also . I just put a speaker 1/2 way to the house and call for birds anytime . Backwards , forwards , wrong foot forward etc .Close , back - you get it .

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:43 am  Reply with quote

I'd like to try walk up trap, that sounds like quite a challenge. Reno

pudelpointer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

I organize a local Ruffed Grouse Society shoot every year here in PA. It's called the Grouse Challenge 15 sporting clays stations in the woods but you call (walking) to the trapper and begin walking. Then he sends you his choice of targets at any point he wants in the walkway. 75 total targets very tough and I set up most of the shots like you would find in the grouse woods lots of obstacles and short window's. Everybody has a blast last year we had 118 shooters high score was 59 and he wins quite a few tournaments on the east coast. I think the fact that it is so different from other clay games is the big attraction of course some guys that shoot a lot get upset because the there score is a whole lot worse than when they shoot regular sporting clays. March 29th Elstoneville sportsman club.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

That sounds even better! What a great tune-up for rocket birds. Reno

putz463
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:20 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
walk up trap with a small bore can be great bird practice also . I just put a speaker 1/2 way to the house and call for birds anytime . Backwards , forwards , wrong foot forward etc .Close , back - you get it .

sounds familiar, maybe rename that game; Brush Busting Grouse Very Happy

Enjoying garden variety trap and 5 stand these days. Wish the club would fire up the one thrower that can do wobble, I've heard it's a frustrating hoot.

Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 am  Reply with quote

A club where I use to shoot enlarged the windows in the houses of one of their skeet fields and installed two international wooble traps. Now that is a game!! True pairs can be impossible, but shooting report pairs where your first bird comes from the trap in the house you can't see into from a given station can be great fun. Breaking a screaming grass burner from the low house going straight out at about 65 yards can be quite satisfying from station one or two!!

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Wobble Skeet, now that sounds like a lightweight sub-gauge game. So far, this is my favorite because you combine changes in windage and elevation for each target origin. Does it forfeit stations 1,7, and 8?

Reno

Rking22
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Well this topic, or rather the responses, have motivated me to join the forum. I been lurking for quite a while and liked what I saw.
So , I am hooked on international skeet. I shoot it for fun but get the biggist kick from eaching young people to shoot the game.
I also love vintage skeet and sporting clays. We shoot some wobble trap as well.
I did't know what to call the game we invented (I thought) of skeet doubles from the trap stations. now I know it's Crazy! We just called it trap doubles Smile
Five stand is too repetitive for me , so shoot it rarely. We used to shoot Scrap with the wooble trap opened to 45 degrees and max speed... now thats a trip.
The walkup sounds fun , we used to have a VFW fundraiser like that inthe 70s ,was a ball .
When I go to a trap field it is to shoot 1 bird from each station twice (10 shots is all my ADD nature can take). Helps me to slow down ,calm down when I get "jerky" with my mount. Bunker is FUN , we just got one up and running in Nashville. Thats he extent of my trap shooting.
I really like the idea of international speed wobble skeet !!! We love to shoot in the wind , and that would make it windy ALL the time.
All of the above ,except Bunker ,with a pump gun and low gun. The 16ga model 12 gets to play at everything. 410s and 28s get lottsa time too. I love to play ,but going to a 300 bird competition has become just a chore.
Gonna be at Gator for the festivities next month. That should be a blast.
I have a friend with a preserve so been shooting some quail recently. Like most everyone else to post on this thread , I like for my games to make me a better game shot.
Any thanks for leting me visit!
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

Rking22
WELCOME to the site on your FIRST posting
I also enjoy the clay target games.

One of my old back of the vest patches Smile
From when I was TALLER Shocked

Last edited by skeettx on Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rking22
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm glad to be here. Texas has some excelent international shooters.I feel that the inernational games are the most difficult to master . Thats the fascination of it. I hardly ever get thru a round without dropping a target I know I should have broken. THe speed is beyond anything with feathers but it sure teaches you to make a good initial move to the bird !
Sporting clays is probably better game practice but presently here are no Olympic Medals for sporting or Fitask. Hopefully that may change in the near future.
The kids I coach most all started with SCTP trap and moved to NSSA skeet then sporting . Some stayed with sporting , others continue to seek more challenges. I just love it when they can beat me every round! Truth be told ,I look at so many targets over their shoulders I don't need to shoot many of my own.
We have had some success amoung Tenessee shooters ,several making USA teams and one now at the USAMU. Hope to continue for many more years.
Hope to see you at Gator.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Rking22

Welcome and thanks for joining the society. I have yet to shoot international skeet, but hope to this spring when the weather warms a bit. Still shooting five stand in the snow from a heated tractor-less trailor. The course manager changes the targets weekly, targets 1-6, so it's okay and fun for small gauge. Took my 28 gauge SxS and had two nineteens, I'm always happy with better than 70%.

Thanks again and enjoy your membership.

Reno

Roadkill
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Rking22,
Welcome to our group. Lots of good info here as well as great people.
If you or any of your fellow int'l shooters are interested, my home club is hosting the NSSA International 'World' shoot again this year. Vinnie Hancock will be here, in fact he is giving a clinic on (I think) Wed and Thu prior to the shoot. the program is here : http://ccfsashotgun.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/nssa-world-intl-14.pdf
Bill