16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite Gun Games
rudolph31
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:18 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
Crazy is an tough easy game.
Straights are rare. Misses are often caused by mental lapses.
Why sometime it does appear that I am not even
in the same state as the clay !

That’s funny! And true. I don’t know how many times I’ve been clean and then missed all four at station 4 or 5. Since we award double points for hitting “Four from the chair” it’s become the last hope of the low scoring shooter.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:53 pm  Reply with quote

two pipe,

Gave up trap long ago, it just got boring for me. Still shoot Clays although I gave up my Corp Membership at Nemacolin Shooting Academy when the management changed.

Sporting Clays set up in the woods for teaching Grouse gunning is still a great way to keep sharp for Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasant hunting here in Pa.

Still shoot clays now and then to keep my muscle memory in tack, nothing else comes close for realism gunning of wild birds, especially true doubles. Only shoot skeet every once in a while now, usually in good weather.

I spend more time in the woods training Grouse dogs the I do shooting Clays for sure.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Mainly trap games for money or meat. If skeet shooters would have payback and different style games for money I would love to play. But just to shoot to watch a target shatter in the air just don't do it for me.
It's just my thing.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot pasture trap at a friends for money, get between 20 and 30 shooters, the shooter to the right of the thrower shoots first, if misses he sit out, if he hits and the shooter on the left hits one of his chips, he is out, last man or woman standing wins the pot.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

When we were having the side by side shoots at Columbia, Mo we had fun with the wobble skeet games. We shot similar to normal rounds of skeet except on stations 1,2,6 & 7 the singles were shot with the second bird released on report. On station 8 the high house target was shot as a single but then we turned to the low house and got a true pair of doubles. In that situation you bever knew if the high house target was going to be right over your head or way up in the sky ! Shocked

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:20 am  Reply with quote

1. Sporting Clays
2. Misc oddball games
3. 5 Stand
4. Continental
5. Handicap Trap
6. Skeet
7. 16 yd Trap

HOWEVER
My frequency of actual shooting is the exact REVERSE ORDER because of need for disciplined practice, lack of time, and scarcity of funds (and ammo).

One thing I would like to try is bunker trap. We have many new shooters here from Asia (very heartening to see) and they shoot a lot of bunker. They may be on to something. It looks very cool.

B.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

I realize this topic is primarily for shooting 16s but a "game" that I have found that improves eye-hand coordination involves a rifle, a soda/beer can a body of water and an elevated position above the water. The can is emptied of contents then thrown into the water. the shooter shoots the can which causes it to fly up into the air. It then falls to the water. the shooter shoots again and if hit, the can repeats its flight. As the can get ventilated its time afloat becomes less, so that after about the third shot the can must be hit immediately upon it getting to the water. Usually about the fifth shot, even if hit, the can sinks. Score is kept on who can get the most shots on target before a can sinks.

The problem with this game is that finding suitable locations has become a challenge because of ever increasing building/progress as well as environmental restrictions regarding improper disposal of cans.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:54 am  Reply with quote

Sporting clays , preferably in realistic woods settings.
Skeet
Discovered my 5 year old grandson like to push the buttons for the electric traps I have , so that might become my new favorite.
Don't care to shoot trap at all
PIOBill
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:53 pm  Reply with quote

While I like skeet, trap, sporting clays and 5 stand my favorite game has always been 4 position 50' indoor. I also enjoyed shooting NRA High Power. somewhere down the list is bullseye pistol. Looking at this I must be one of those gun nuts. Very Happy

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

PIOBill
I really like my Martini Mk III
What a pleasure to shoot
Mike
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:46 am  Reply with quote

Trap bores me to tears, but there's a range a few miles from my house, so I end up going there a lot. Since I'm constantly buying and selling, it's a great way to quickly test a gun to see how it fits and see if you can hit with it. I end up testing a lot of different guns, including customer guns that I work on, and that's a lot of fun by itself. They have a patterning board too, which I use constantly. All that said, I much prefer skeet, then clays, then trap.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDan,

I agree that trap became real boring, no matter how good you got, however we differ in the Skeet and Clays. When Clays are set up thru the woods it is great practice for Grouse and Woodcock hunting, even the clays set up as rabbits are great fun shooting.
Although I like the challenge of Skeet, IMO a well set up Clays course is about the best practice for gunning Grouse, especially if you are shooting true doubles.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

BUT for all games, you should be using your hunting guns and not dedicated targets guns that weight 9, 10 or 11 pounds.

Well. I do have a heavy gun I do use for clay games,
It is an Ithaca NID 10 gauge Smile

Tuesday I was using an L.C. Smith Trap grade, double triggers, ejectors, for shooting CRAZY

Mike

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:47 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

Good gun for sure, I use my #5 gun with SST and my Pigeon Gun with DT on the clays course quite a bit, to keep my muscle memory in tact. Then when I am hunting grouse with the L.C. Smith 16 Silver Breech everything just works quicker because the 16 only weighs 6.0lb.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:43 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
[Trap] it's a great way to quickly test a gun to see how it fits and see if you can hit with it

Excellent insight Mark and I totally agree. I’ll go further and suggest the same is true for testing different loads and even components and shot. Trap will expose and magnify subtle differences.

B.