16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  8 point Remington hulls
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:58 am  Reply with quote

I was given a supply of some older,Black,Remington 8 pt "high brass" 16's this morning.They are marked Remington-Peters and a few even have a copper look to the metal.After switching crimp starters on the ol' Grabber they flew thru like there were greased!!!!Only real difference is they seem to have a slightly lager internal capacity--no problem as I use cardboard spacers for most loads anyway to cut back on the shot.Probably have to run a few thru the 1100 Sunday while running skeet for no other reason than to have something even more different--I am the only one who even owns a 16-let alone shoot one Shocked Confused Rolling Eyes
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

The early Black Promo Remingtons had 8 point crimps and were 2 9/16th inches long. Great loading shell that seemed to last better than the current 6point shell.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Agree that the old 8 point Rems were better than the current ones. hoashooter, someone gave me a bunch of those with the copper-colored heads a few years back, and I discovered that they took the old Rem 57 primers--which they have not made for a long time. Sounds like you lucked out.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Larry-never even gave that a thought Embarassed --I know better just didn't have brain in gear after getting so many freebies Twisted Evil I put a W209 in no problem-will shoot some Sunday Wink
bigric
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:14 am  Reply with quote

FWIW, the 8-point black Remington promo hulls that I've had took 209 primers just fine; they were from the early 90s.