16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Member
RPnKC
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:00 pm  Reply with quote

Hello to all. I am guilty of lurking here sometime ago. But have redeemed myself but becoming a member. This is a GREAT website/forum. NE Kansas resident, GSP and Elhew Pointer owner, and hunt wild birds exclusively.
Brad6260
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:50 am  Reply with quote

Welcome !

I agree you have found a great site .

If you have been lurking for a while I imagine you are aware of our upcoming get together hunt this fall starting around Dodge City and ending up in the Beloit area.

We know all too well how severe the drought conditions are. I've gotten some feedback that the N. Central areas are not too bad.

Any updates??

Once again welcome aboard.

Brad
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Welcome RPnKC (and what's the handle mean? urping in Kansas City Very Happy )
We can always use more Jayhawkers and Twice Barrel and Rabbit Dog are near you. You're not one of those Kansbraskans like Fin are you? Confused And what's your 16g?

RPnKC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Roots in Iowa, but heart and soles of my aching feet belong to the great state of Kansas.
Brad, Saw that post for the get-together, sounds like fun. Just got a farmers report today from Russell, not good as far as pheasants are concerned. As the season draws closer I will have farmers reports from multiple areas. Beloit area is a great area, love the terrain and cover up there. However, with the drought conditions there may be "better quality" cover available compared to propserous farming seasons. That's my hope at least.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

RPnKC---At least you still have pheasants here in Southeastern Illinois they are far and few inbetween anymore Embarassed
JesseJames
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

RPnKC,
I just joined as well. I respect that you only hunt wild birds. I'm afraid if I got the chance to hunt pheasants they would be plantaion birds. However I will be looking for an opportunity to hunt quail nearby. I'm close to waynesboro "bird dog capital of the world" so it shouldn't be too hard. right now looking forward to trying out my 16 on some doves come opening day.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:14 pm  Reply with quote

RP,

My heart, my soul and my life are tied to Kansas soil. But Nebraska...what can I say? 'Tis God's country; no way around it. Besides, Kansas soil is probably mostly Nebraska soil that blew down here anyway! Welcome, and please tell us how you came to be a 16-er!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
bustingclays
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Spoke with my friend in Russell KS tonight. They got 3 inches of rain over the weekend and are still reporting seeing lots of birds amongst the green grasses in the CRP on the lands we will hunt. Saw a pair of quail at one spot yesterday with a clutch of 12 little ones. Interesting contrasts in reports. My friend did say that they burned their crp this last spring and that it has been VERY successful - re-greening nicely with rains at exactly the right time. Beans and Milo look good - on target for harvest and wheat harvest was Ok with many young birds seen.

Of course, I have not seen them so..... I will have to report after I get back in December and January! Very Happy

Dr. 16 Gauge
RPnKC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:42 pm  Reply with quote

Fin- Natures boundaries weren't established by a surveyer. One of the best auto drives I can remember was in the panhandle, hwy 20 in June half a dozen years ago. Found memories of miles were there was grass growing out of the cracks in the pavement, my kind of place.
The weather sure can be funny how it misses one spot and hits another. Russell county is 869 square miles, that puts it in another perspective. The effects of burning CRP is unbelievable. First year after burn is most productive for birds in my experience with farms NW of Hays. The bluestem will hold quail while there is still bare dirt exposed. After a couple of years the density can chokes the bobs out, but is ideal for roosters and high ground can be used succesfully by Prairie Chickens if it's not too thick & tall. Hope you do well there in Russell. I'll still be there twice in Nov. regardless of what they tell me.
Jesse I hunt wild birds exclusively because I know the difference, but MOST importantly my dogs know the difference. It is only hunting if the birds have a chance to illude, outsmart, outfly, run in circles, flush on the other side of the hedgerow, and basically really frustrate us at least ocassionally.

RPnKC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:13 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
RP,

My heart, my soul and my life are tied to Kansas soil. But Nebraska...what can I say? 'Tis God's country; no way around it. Besides, Kansas soil is probably mostly Nebraska soil that blew down here anyway! Welcome, and please tell us how you came to be a 16-er!

Fin

Quail poulations are really down in KS, so spending more days afield chasing green-headed ditch devils. Carrying most 12's is more frustrating than pleasure for me. With time and experience my shooting distances have been reduced, no interest at all in 40+yard shots. I don't shoot at wild flushed birds with my pointing dogs, well sometimes I have too. Wink My natural ability is for reactionary(ie low-gun skeet) rather than trap style shooting. Finally figured out that the dynamic qualities of the gun coupled with sufficient payload(1oz.) is the right choice for me. 6.5-7 lbs with good balance is comfortable from sunrise to sunset in the field. So it's not necesssarily "the guage" as it is the qualities and capability of the tools offered in 16ga.
Also, oddly drawn towards ideas that are not appealing to the "masses".

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:44 am  Reply with quote

"...oddly drawn towards ideas that are not appealing to the "masses"."

Ah, a man after our own hearts Very Happy Also afflicted with the 16 GODD-16 Gauge Oppositional Defiance Disorder. See http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=849
Common Kansan trait-likely something to do with our New England/Weslyan heritage Rolling Eyes

So what does RPnKC mean???

RPnKC
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:16 am  Reply with quote

Rick Porter in Kansas City[/b]