16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  opinion requested!
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:59 am  Reply with quote

Just found this - it's in my backyard...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=55834602

I was thinking it may have fallen in my lap.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:16 am  Reply with quote

IMO the price is high for a Floosie.

Can you handle the drop in the stock? Most of these had a ton and if you notice the pics were shot to minimize the apparent drop.

Key problem areas on these are frames prone to cracking where the water table meets the breech. Early ones had a square joint there. This on is radiused so it is a later gun and this is probably not a problem.

The other issue is the cocking arm which was poorly designed and prone to breakage. Make sure you check it over carefully before deciding to keep the gun.

26" barrels were not that common, check closely to confirm they were not cut.

Jeff

Jeff
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:18 am  Reply with quote

Honest looking Flues model made in 1911. You will be limited to light loads, but plenty are available. Unless lengthened, the chambers are sure to be 2 and 9/16. Probably shouldn't be your duck gun or pheasant whacker but with some choke opening, say Sk 1/ Sk2, could be a fun all around clays, preserve bird, grouse, dove gun. I'm a little concerned about the pic of the R side of the gun-it looks like the trigger guard is sprung out of the inletting and there looks to be an odd gap where the head of the stock meets the action but it could only be the angle. The 'minimum bid' is certainly the high end of price and ANY 95 year old gun (even a STERLY Wink ) is a bit of a crap shoot. *Also note the seller refuses return*-that is a real concern and I personally would not buy a gun without a 3 day inspection and return.

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:28 am  Reply with quote

Rev's got that right; I'd never buy from a seller without an inspection period unless I intended to rebuild the gun and didn't care if it was in a basket. Even then it's risky.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
hunshatt
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:22 am  Reply with quote

why don't you take a ride and make sure it's tight and on face? that repair could run 250-500 alone If the guy won't agree to that, I'd pass. . And it's getting more difficult to fing someone to bend stocks, if the drop is to much.
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Thank you all Gents - Lots of info in your replies.

"Water table" - It hasn't rained that much lately...

inspection period, mechanics, drop, etc.

I've got a lot of homework ahead of me Smile

I think I need to get a "fitting" done so I'll know what might fit me based on numbers - to date I just mount it on my shoulder with eyes closed, then open them and say yay or nay based on feel & where I'm looking when I open my eyes...
offhand35
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:42 pm  Reply with quote

Be glad that this guy at least states outright "no inspection or return" !
I got a very nice A-5, with what seemed to show in the photo as flash glare on the plain sided receiver......it wasn't, someone, for whatever reason had buffed a small area damaging the finish.
The fellow had not stated an inspection or return policy in the auction, I did not clarify before bidding. When I wanted to return it for that reason, the phone call did not go well, so I was just plain SOL. Outside of that, I did get a very nice Auto-5, and it shoots well for me.......

Back on thread.....The Ithaca photos look pretty detailed, but you may want to see more views.

If the seller won't help you make your decision, it is not worth the potential trouble! Evil or Very Mad

Brad6260
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:53 am  Reply with quote

For just a bit more money you can find a nice Field grade NID Ithaca that is IMHO three times the gun!

Regards,
Brad
nhdblfan
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

I would be very skeptical of anyone who would not give a review or inspection period and not bid on anything from a seller like that.I suspect others would feel the same."If" he will allow you to look at it hands on and "if" he will allow you to measure both bores and choke (and not with a pocket gauge-a real one) you might want to take a ride and see."If" it passes inspection make an low offer as I doubt he will get many bidders with the no inspection period.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Agree with nhdblfan. If an internet seller says "as is" or "no return" or anything close, it's an automatic pass. They're hiding something, period.

I'll still watch the auction to see what happens and make a note of the seller for future reference.

Oh, another good one is "the pictures tell it all." Translation: See if you can find the horrendous problems I'm hiding. The story of the A-5 above being one example. Or the stocks with an obvious bolt through the wrist with no mention in the written description.

I'll stop now, or I'll end up on blood pressure meds again.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:51 am  Reply with quote

Take to heart what all the other's are telling you! The starting price on this gun is in the value range of this model in great condition and from what I see in the photos this one is fair at best.

I'd pass on it and keep looking!