16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading the Remington GL
flyline
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:12 pm  Reply with quote

With all of the attention to the great prices on the Remington Game Loads, I was able to pick a few flats up at the local BPS. Now that I've fired a few, it's time to reload. Looking for a good recipe, but the Sixteen Gauge Manual shows only the Remington SP hull. The Game Load hull has the plastic powder cup, so I'm assuming it's the same? Any recommendations? These loads will mostly be used as target loads out of my Lightning Feather.

Thanks.
TerryS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

Remington only makes one 16 gauge hull. The black Game Load hull you have is the SP. Regardless of the color (early on, some were green) the internal structure is the same.

I like Universal Clays and use a Hodgdon recipe: 1 oz. shot, WW209, 18.5 gr. of Universal, and either the SP-16 or the WWA16 (I wish!) wad. I tend to download them to 18.3 or slightly less. Published velocity is 1165 and pressure is 8800 with the Rem wad and 9000psi with the Winchester wad.

I used a Cherrio in the bottom of the SP16 wad to take up the slack. I now use the R16 with the Remington recipe and use no filler.

I've loaded and shot about 3000 of these and they work fine for clay games and live birds.

I've always wondered what SP stands for... special purpose?

TerryS
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

I found that Universal is more clean burning than some other powders, like SR4756. I was lucky enough to win a bid on ebay last month for 2K of the Rem R16 wads. I use 18.5 grains with a WW209 primer. Hodgdon annual manual '06.
flyline
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Just the information I was looking for, gents. I already have all of the components, so will give 'er a try and let you know how they work out. I appreciate your feedback.