16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  800x?
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:38 am  Reply with quote

Local shop has a few cans of 800x, but I've never used it and am not sure what I would use it for. The few recipes I see are pretty hot. Is this a magnum powder primarily?

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:48 am  Reply with quote

800-x is a large disk powder. The circular flakes do not meter well. All charges shoud be weighed. It is slower burning.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
gjw
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:58 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Mark, I use 800-X for all my low pressure loads. Good powder in cold weather, but it is hard to meter. I got this method from a gent on SGW, it works. If you read this post it will give you step by step instructions.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=369862&start=0

The guy who came up with the method is Spydyr, so look close at his posts.

I'm using this recipe for my low pressure hunting loads (12ga):

2 3/4" Remington STS HUll

WJ-12-RPL Wad (Downrange wads)

Rio G-600 Primer

23grs 800-X

1 1/8oz shot

7000psi

1200fps

Even given a 25% increase in pressure (8750psi) if used in short chambers, it falls within 8938psi for guns proofed at 3 tons psi

There are a bunch of 800-X recipes on the 16ga Yahoo Group

Good luck my friend!

Best,

Greg
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Spydyr's method does work just fine.

800-X is a good powder for 1 oz.loads and a great powder for 1 1/8 oz. loads in the 16.

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

i weigh each charge with a Lyman 1200 DPS automatic scale i set up the primed shells in a block then as each charge comes of the machine it goes into each hull. 25 rnds = 10 Min

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, regarding 800x, I use it as my go to powder in my .45 Colt, works great for that, as far as shotguns, I don't have a clue.

BTW, my Redding powder measure seems to meter 800x just fine, but I do weigh every charge.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
3crosses
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

It isn't bench rest.
My drops with 800x vary by about .2 grs. Which according to my chrono is a variance of 35 fps. It is shotgunning- 35 fsp second is about 4 inches at 60 yards with target traveling at 30mph.

With a 40 inch pattern-means no difference in lead.
rdja
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:54 am  Reply with quote

When I loaded some Wingmaster HD for waterfowl this past year, I used STEEL powder. Used a UCB on a MEC Jr to measure powder. Then weighed it and added more to reach the desired weight, Then finished the load in my 366 progressive.

I found that if I cycled the Jr 5 times to settle the powder I got fairly consistent drops. But still an occasional one that was well under so glad I measured each load. Next time I will try Spydyr's method and see if it works with STEEL.

However, it may be a while as that stash of Wingmaster HD was a rare find. BassPro was closing them out at $10 a box of 5, but they were 3.5 inch shells with 1.75oz of shot. I made 2 3/4 loads with 1 1/8oz. Ended up with 200 loads. Had to hand trim the wads, so those were really time extensive shells.

Nate
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:55 am  Reply with quote

While Spydyr's method works, by the time you get through with the whole process it is better to throw a slightly light powder charge, weigh it and then trickle in the last few tenths of a grain.

There is no real time savings with any of these methods, nor are any fool proof.

If I had a good powder measure, that is the way I would go, instead of splitting up a reloading process.

BTW perfect powder drops have little to do with a load that performs consistently.

rdja
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:32 am  Reply with quote

Mark,
That is exactly what I did. I would measure powder out several primed hulls, measure the shot for same number in off colored hulls, then finish the shells in the progressive hand pouring the powder and shot for each shells. I just get the best crimps with that reloader.
Shells seemed to kill ducks fine this past year and I have 100 shells left for next year.

Performance seems more dependent on a consistent column height and a good crimp.

Nate
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 am  Reply with quote

While going through so old American Hunter magazines (on the way to the trash) I came across an article by Ed Matunas in the Sept '88 issue on Loading the 16 Ga. He lists14 loads, but claims that the only wad available at the time was the SP16 and "filler wads" were so scarce as to not be an alternative- so all of the loads are either 1 1/8 or 1 1/4- so they are all pretty heavy loads for those of us that appreciate a lighter load. But to the point, he listed 4 800X loads all with 1 1/8 oz: WW CF hull, W209, 20.0 gr 1175fps @9k; 21.5 gr 1235 fps @ 10k; Rem Exp fiber base hull w/57, 19.5 gr 1190 fps @10.5k & Fed HiPower hull, Fed209(not noted as 209A) 23.5 gr 1300 fps @ 10k.
Except for the SP16 wads, the W209 primers and the 800X powder the components that he mentioned are all virtually non-existent 25 years after it was written; but with the exception of the WWCF hull things now are so much better for the 16 ga than they were in '88. Powders have been improved and are occasionally available, Same with primers. Availability of hulls and wads is the area that has significantly improved, so the Queen of the Uplands can rightfully remain on her throne.
The 800X is useful, given the metering limitations, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to buy it.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:14 am  Reply with quote

I have kind of setup certain powders for certain uses just like I have setup certain color hulls or wads for certain loads:

Steel - Steel shot
Longshot or Steel - lead 1 1/4 or larger
800x or Longshot - 1 1/8 oz lead or Bismuth/Niceshot/ITX/Hevi
800x or Herco - 1 1/16 oz lead
Herco or Unique or Universal or Green Dot - 1 oz lead
PB or International or American Select or Green Dot - 7/8 oz lead

CB100 or SG16 - 1 oz lead
DR16 or CB075 - 7/8 oz lead
Z16 - 1 1/16 oz lead
SP16 - 1 1/8 oz lead
VP80 - steel

Black - 1 oz lead #6 through #8 game loads
Blue - 7/8 oz steel #4 loads
Green - 7/8 oz lead #7.5 or #8 small game or sporting loads
Red - 3/4 oz steel #6 loads
Purple - 1 1/16 to 1 1/8 oz lead #5 or #6 pheasant and turkey loads

God, not sure what this had to do with the topic now that I wrote it. I will say that I do not shoot enough sporting loads to worry about it. I hand measure each load of shot and powder.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Charlie, you have yourself a nice color-coded system. Did you mean the CB0078-16 wad rather than the 0075?
Winchester21
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:28 pm  Reply with quote

While is not my first choice of powder for reloading shotgun shells, I have used it for 12, 16, 20 & 28 ga loads. Yes, it does not always meter consistently with my MEC 650 and Grabber bushings but most of my shooting nowadays is informal skeet or 5-stand so I am not too concerned about the powder loading being a bit under. It is noticeable when a light load fires but it hasn't caused any misfires and still breaks the target if I'm on it.
I've also used it for pistol loads and I throw them with an RCBS powder measure with no real problems noted.
All of my 800X loads are midrange so even if a bit light or a bit heavy they are still within safe pressure limits. I had taken the time to weigh each powder charge as they come from the MEC bushngs and the RCBS measure but since I found the inconsistency to be not that often and when they do occur still in a safe range I stopped worrying about it and just "take it as it comes".
But for precision rifle or pistol shooting I do weigh my powder charges, throwing light and trickling in to meet spec. And no, 800X is not used in my rifle loads.