16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  reloadin' fer dumbies
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:16 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask...

Could you all point me to a/the/several links/sites discussing reloads for those brandy new to refilling the plastic hunks normally discarded by "those ignorant bastids that don't know no bettah" - including me.

The quantity of 16 ga. shels I've shot vs. the targets I've hit make me want to just step away from the gun - but...

BUT

I seem to have gotten bit by a very toxic bug that is "the perfect" or maybe "the sporting" or maybe "the gentlemen's" gauge - in any case If Ima gonna feed vintage iron on a regular basis, I'd better know what not to do so as to avoid bulges, burst and especially busted barrels.

So plaese, Gentlemen of the 16 GA. Society, point me in the correct direction - even though I miss-spelt "please" so many words ago - I swear, it were the high quality whiskey that done it, not me.

I mean I'm at ground zero - no bench, no red lever thingie, no fricken clue as to the very start of "reloads" what so ever...

And so - thank you all in advance for the instruction/direction/addiction that is food for vintage "boom"'s. I hope this request is viewed by those that inquire after me and say, "Yep, that's what I'm saying" - Accept - "maybe without the bad spelling though..."

TIA
fred lauer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:20 pm  Reply with quote

Check out the LEE LoadAll. Although it's not a heavy duty machine, it stands up real well and produces a nice shell. If you want something a bit more substantial, check Ebay for used MEC 600jr. models.That's a place to start and you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure either of them out.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:29 pm  Reply with quote

Sprocket - pick up a copy of Lyman's Shotshell Manual. It is a good place to start.

nossman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

OK, I'll step up. I'm curious about & interested in reloading, myself.
I'm still a newbie to the 16ga world, and am loving the gauge. I don't own a "vintage" gun, but maybe my next one will be an "American Classic". Wink I am keeping my spent hulls, for future reloading.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:11 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Gents - I'm fighting a cold and I wrote the above post after hot whiskey #3...needless to say I was feeling better at the time.
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:38 pm  Reply with quote

First decide what loader you are going to buy. Both recommendations are good. If you are going to be loading several hundred rounds per week then you will probably be best off with a progressive like a MEC or Hornaday 366.

For load data contact Russ Gray. His contact information is at the top of this forum under announcements. Although the "Group" specializes in developing low pressure loads there are loads for all ranges of pressure and velocity. When you join the Low Pressure Group you have accesses to hundreds of years of expierence of the members who are quite happy to answer any of your questions.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

I second the advice on joining the Low Pressure Group. Hundreds of loads in all different configurations to try. As for a loader, if you're primarily loading for the field, look for a used MEC 600Jr (they're on Ebay all the time); they work great and last forever. If loading for the target range, you might want to step up to a progressive machine.
nossman
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

I've done a little reading here and on Ballistic Products & MidwayUSA. I have not committed to reloading just yet, but it does seem to be in my near future. The Low Pressure group does seem like the right place to go, for assistance. Over 100yrs worth of knowlege...Now that's what I'm talking about!

As for a press/loader. For me, a single stage press will be just fine. There is quite a bit of difference in price between the Lee Load-All & MEC. Usually, there is a good reason for such a differance of price in similar products. However, every so often, you are just paying for name recognition. Is the quality of the MEC 600 Jr. V, or Sizemaster worth the additional $, or is the Lee Load-ALL II an equivelant, quality product, for far less $? I would like the purchase of a press/loader, to be a one-time purchase. Please give me your opinions of the best press/loader for the $.

Thanks
Rob
fred lauer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

I have MEC 600 and 650, both are worth the money, also have Load alls in 16,12,20 ga. The Load Alls don't look like much but I've put about 5000 rounds thru the 16ga. and it still works like new. Best $25 I ever spent. Also, nothing extra to buy for the Load All, has complete set of shotand powder bushings. You have to buy bars and bushings for the MEC's. The MEC is faster. For the price you can set a different Load All up for a specific load and another one for a different load. Mostly it will depend on how much time you want to spend loading vs how much cash you want to part with.

Chukarman
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I have done quite a bit of reloading, and a lot of it is for the 16 gauge - feeding my guns the right stuff. I reccommmend a couple of intial steps...

1. Buy the Lymans Fourth edition "Reloading for Shotguns" and read the introduction. It is really very good and will answer all the procedural issues quite well.

2. Estimate your volume requirements. Personally, I don't use progressive presses because I started on single stage loader, and am very comfortable with control that the single stage loaders provide. I load by the flat (10 boxes).

3. IMO, the best (money versus capability) press is the MEC Sizemaster 77. This press costs about $165 new, and is commonly for sale used. I have three - 12, 16, and 20 gauge. It is very like the MEC 600 Jr., but with refinements for faster and better loading, 1.) it has a collet type head resizer which is very consistent, and fast. The 600 Jr. does not have this feature, and can get sticky on the resize stroke. 2. It has a standard primer feed tray - much better and safer than the 600 Jr. which is supplied without a primer feed (standard model) there is a primer feed for the 600 Jr. but it is a tube, and requires a lot of primer handling to load and maintain.

4. MEC has the largest and least expensive array of powder bushings and shot bars available.

5. Start with one load and get the components, this way you will not get components mixed up during your initial learning process. Add more components and loads later, and you begin to load for specific requirements.

I think you will find reloading shotshells economical and worthwhile as a extension of your shooting hobby.

C Man

brdhnt
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

Sprocket,

Excellent advice so far. Let me jump in with some more.

Buy a copy of "Reloading for Shotgunners" in addition to the Lyman book. Lots of great information in both books and not complete duplicates.

The advice on presses so far is very correct. I have used them all and currently have all but the Load Alls. I used Lee load alls for years but sold mine ot a hunting buddy who like you wanted to get started in reloading a small number of cases.

The Load-Alls are good to start with. My two complaints about them is that they are a pain to unload shot and powder from and the crimping system does not have adjustments on it which can cause problems with different cases. A rep from Lee once told me that they are factory set for target cases such as Winchester AA / Remington STS.

I would second the recommendation for a Sizemaster over a 600 or 650. The vast majority of 16 gauge cases currently available are steel case heads. With the sizer on the Load All or the 600 series, every once in a while you will get a case that hangs up in the sizer. The collet system in the Sizemaster eliminates this. The primer feed also speeds up reloading and eliminates one more hand movement.

Buy and read the manuals before you buy a reloader. I would also recommend reading the Hodgdon and Alliant Reloading manuals to get an idea of what cases/primers/powder/wads you want to use.

Buy a good quality reloading scale and use it. Powder bushngs normally run to the light size so to get the exact reload you may have to experiment with bushing size. Only a good scale can tell you exactly what the weight is.

Another handy but not absolutely essential accessory is one of the Universal Adjsutable charge bars. For probably 80% of my reloading the standard bars and bushings work best, but when I'm doing true custom reloads or making up special test loads, I like the exactness of the Universal bar that is fully adjustable for shot and powder. One old Fox I reload for originally had 2 1/2" chambers that have been lengthened to 2 3/4". Modern factory 1 1/8th ounce loads still want to stick in the chambers though. One ounce loads work fine for quail and chukars but are a little light with # 5's in pellet density. Adjusting the Universal bar to throw 1 1/16th ounce at 1200 FPS (8000 psi) works just great for pheasants.

Reloading is great for a number of reasons. You'll find that it really enhances your shooting enjoyment.

Good Luck!

TMB
________
RHODE ISLAND MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by brdhnt on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:11 am  Reply with quote

Just reviewing this and starting some homework on presses & equipment.

some Q's on presses:

The Lee, at approx. $60 total new, looks to be a low-dollar solution for small volume production - this is fitting with my current needs - however it sounds like it has "peculularities" that may be worth avoiding and going up to the MEC Jr.

The MEC Jr. has it's own peculularities and the cost is about double the Lee.

Everything above that is currently out of my capabilites and means in new condition.

Can anyone tell me the going rates for a used MEC and/or Lee Load All?

As I cruise around and stop into various shops, I like to keep my eyes open for various finds...it seems I'm adding a new one to the list. Smile

My intention is to be able to load 100 rds or so at a time - most likely for target purposes - so once the recipie is chosen I can just get cooking.

Thanks all for responding - now I need to get to the book store...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:01 am  Reply with quote

As has already been suggested, the latest Lyman's Shotgun reloading handbook is well worth the price for a newbie. I'd also suggest getting the names of the various powder manufactures off the web and asking for their latest reloading guide. Most are free for the asking and are a wealth of info.

I'd also try to locate as many pre-1990 powder guides as possible. There is a wealth of info in them for the 16 ga reloader, especially dealing with old componants, some of which aren't made anymore but commonly available or have been recently made available again like the R16 wad. any of the pre 1990 Lyman hanbooks woulsd be good too. Haunt the local gun show book tables for them and ask around your gun club. a lot of oldtimers have stuff hoarded for someone with enough smarts to ask for it. They usually will be more than glad to share these old references with someon e interested enough to ask.

I would strongly suggest getting at least a MEC 16 ga. Grabber. You can do anthing on it you can on a single stage and a bunch more. Once its set up, you will find it both faster and easier to use. In fact, you will shoot more, because you can reload target fodder in about 1/5th the time. Whipping up 100 or so rounds for a weekend takes about 12 minutes tops. it would take well over an hour on a single stage press. that might not seem like much, put reloading is repetative and can get boring in no time if you are pumping out mundane loads for weekly use.

You can always pick up a cheap used single stage later for specialty loads of very small batches like one or two boxes once or twice a year. I've been given a whole collection of them over the years by folks who finally bought progressive presses. I have them set up for job specific tasks like loading sabotted round ball deer loads for the shotgun season. (You would not believe how accurate and deadly a .69 caliber lead round ball is out of either a 12 ga. rifled barrel or a smooth bore if its loaded into the right plastic wad first . Who needs $3.00 a shot sabot slugs. I make my own for pennies. So I get lots of affordable practice with them too prior to the season. Same goes for a .58-.60 caliber ball in a 16 ga wad.)

Also, you will need the adjustable collet resizer on the Grabber. Virtually all 16 ga ammo now has steel rims. These rims just will not resize down easily or properly in a ring type resizer. Finally, if you decide to sell it, you will a higher percentage of your investment back. Used single stage presses are a dime a dozen. Progressive 16 ga units are rare. Most ood used ones on Ebay bring very close to the discount new price. So shop around before buying one.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

Sprocket --the only problem is finding a used loader in 16ga.Even when avaliable they demand a premium and often exceed or equal the cost of a new one.IMO--the Lee should be avoided--get yourself a MEC Sizemaster,learn it and as time goes on you can always upgrade to a Grabber-but keep that single stage as it be useful for specialized loads Very Happy Very Happy
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

So after doing some research and poking around I've come to the conclusion that reload presses are exactly like slot machines:
    You put large amounts of $$ into one
    pull the handle
    some noise and motion happens
    a little shiney thing drops out

So maybe if I put a glittery box over it and convince my Mom that it really is a slot machine, she can work the handle for me...

Oh crap - I've just spilled a million dollar idea...:banghead: