16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  reloadin' fer dumbies
Equismith
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I ahven't bought one yet, but the Sizemaster is going to be my 16ga reloader. I have four 600Jrs and they are fine. I just want the collet resizer for the 16 to make the shells better able to be digested by my LC Smith.

My vote is for the Sizemaster.

Miss Libby
pezman1963
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:07 pm  Reply with quote

fred lauer wrote:
Check out the LEE LoadAll. Although it's not a heavy duty machine, it stands up real well and produces a nice shell. If you want something a bit more substantial, check Ebay for used MEC 600jr. models.That's a place to start and you don't have to be a brain surgeon to figure either of them out.

The Lee is thw way to go.
Super easy!
Between 12, 16, & 20 ga conversions
I have loaded 40,000 rounds on my Lee Load-all II
You buy it new $35 if you price shop the net.
Also Federal Hi-Power, and Fiocchi are the longest lasting hulls.
Federal Game Loads are cheap enough.
Fiocchi primed hulll are 12.00 a 100 at bpi

sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:24 pm  Reply with quote

some thoughts for comment:

tonight I went to a well know store in Maine - not that one, the lesser well known one, KTP...

Anyway, it's loaded with second hand guns and reloading equipment...I passed up on a Lee Laod-all in 16 for $25 (a brandy new 12 ga was $37)

There were a few adjuastable powder bars, a couple MEC 600/650 in 12 & 20, a 410 sizemaster, etc, etc.

On the way home I was thinking how I passed up on the Lee for $25 and wish I had the $$ to buy a 600/650/sizemaster and a set of 16 dies...

Then I though I shoulda got the Lee - I mean, would it be that bad to piss away $25 to find out I need something more and then give it away later?

There's a certain amount of $$ that I expect to burn in getting set up, part of the learning curve so to speak.

And I'm sure if I posted up a free press, somebody here would be nice enough to take off my hands...
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:33 am  Reply with quote

Sprocket, here's a little tip. MEC often has reconditioned presses for sale direct. Their prices can be excellent. give them a call. They are on the web. If you can get a grabber, grab it. If not, a Mec Sizemaster.

I'd pass on any 16 ga press that does not have a collet type resizer, because steel rims don't resize easily or always well in a ring type resizer. The Lee unit is plastic and won't take the added strain of resizing steel rims for long. They were a good cheap unit in their day when most shotshell rims were made of brass. That time has passed. You did the right thing.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Sprocket,

When I first got into reloading, everyone told me to start with the MEC Sizemaster. A single stage unit. This is a great unit for a couple hundred shells a month. I sat down one night to load up about 750 shells to take to the Mich. U. P. shoot. You have to pull that stupid lever 6 times for every loaded shell. So, after countless hours and about 4500 pulls of the lever I was done. Never again! I went and bought the Grabber the following weekend. These units can be set to act like a single stage unit until you get the hang of loading. Then flip a little switch and it becomes a progressive press. I loaded shell for every pull of the lever. The only thing I load on a single stage press now, is 10 gauge.
pezman1963
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:15 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
Sprocket, here's a little tip. MEC often has reconditioned presses for sale direct. Their prices can be excellent. give them a call. They are on the web. If you can get a grabber, grab it. If not, a Mec Sizemaster.

I'd pass on any 16 ga press that does not have a collet type resizer, because steel rims don't resize easily or always well in a ring type resizer. The Lee unit is plastic and won't take the added strain of resizing steel rims for long. They were a good cheap unit in their day when most shotshell rims were made of brass. That time has passed. You did the right thing.

Actually there no problem with ring sizer Lee uses.
Nor is there additional were on the reloader.
Unless your getting a progresive reloader then there no advantage to the more expensive Mec.

pezman1963
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:26 am  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
some thoughts for comment:

tonight I went to a well know store in Maine - not that one, the lesser well known one, KTP...

Anyway, it's loaded with second hand guns and reloading equipment...I passed up on a Lee Laod-all in 16 for $25 (a brandy new 12 ga was $37)

There were a few adjuastable powder bars, a couple MEC 600/650 in 12 & 20, a 410 sizemaster, etc, etc.

On the way home I was thinking how I passed up on the Lee for $25 and wish I had the $$ to buy a 600/650/sizemaster and a set of 16 dies...

Then I though I shoulda got the Lee - I mean, would it be that bad to piss away $25 to find out I need something more and then give it away later?

There's a certain amount of $$ that I expect to burn in getting set up, part of the learning curve so to speak.

And I'm sure if I posted up a free press, somebody here would be nice enough to take off my hands...

KTP will mail it too ya if its still there.
I'd Grab the used lee.
Its almost impossible to wear it out.

sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:24 am  Reply with quote

thanks All for the continued input - seems like the MEC/Lee debate is almost as fun to watch as the Elsie/Sterly/Citori banter...

I'm heading up that way again soon - it's the Lee is there, I'll get it and if it's a failed experiment it will be my own fault for not listening - think of it as the inner teenager in me acting out - stamps foot spins, buys a Lee load-all press screaming "All I want is to be accepted!" - (WHAO, my inner teenager is a girl voice? WTF? pass the bourbon please).

I'll at least get the right book too, now that I know the title...

I'm a little sleep depraved right now.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:35 am  Reply with quote

Dave M. wrote:
Sprocket,

When I first got into reloading, everyone told me to start with the MEC Sizemaster. A single stage unit. This is a great unit for a couple hundred shells a month. I sat down one night to load up about 750 shells to take to the Mich. U. P. shoot. You have to pull that stupid lever 6 times for every loaded shell. So, after countless hours and about 4500 pulls of the lever I was done. Never again! I went and bought the Grabber the following weekend. These units can be set to act like a single stage unit until you get the hang of loading. Then flip a little switch and it becomes a progressive press. I loaded shell for every pull of the lever. The only thing I load on a single stage press now, is 10 gauge.

wait - is the basic difference between a progressive and single-stage the fact that I can only load one shell at a time? Can't you put a shell in each "station" to receive the respective process?

Forgive the nooberific question that may be answered by reading any of the above mentioned books...
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:56 am  Reply with quote

With a single stage, you have to pull the handle 6 times for each shell.
You manually move the shell from one station to the next, and pull the handle again. and again, and again. Wink
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:43 pm  Reply with quote

And again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.... Laughing
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

So I get you have to move the shell manually to each position.

Can you have multiple shells on the press at one time - even if you place them by hand?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Nope. Doing so will screw up the different height adjustments. These presses are designed for one at a time and have enough leverage only for that operation.

If you are at all time challanged---and who isn't, get the Grabber. You will not regret it. you will load em quicker and easier, and will shoot more--always a good thing. Just shop for the best price.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

Oooh - oh.

I get it. Volume is a factor...by six or so.

Thanks 16GG - and All

Maybe I should change the title to "FAQ's for the Uber Noob"

(Why do I think that reading the dang book would have prevented many of these Q's?)
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Because you are a typical American male type person. Our creedo: "When all else fails, read the damned directions." Laughing