16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Pipe while hunting
DougK
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:55 pm  Reply with quote

Does any one carry a pipe while hunting? I am thinking about it. I dont smoke but I believe the look will improve my shooting. Rolling Eyes

Doug
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe you'll get some more rational responses this time http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1062 Rolling Eyes

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Doug,

I wouldn't bother. Probably won't improve your shooting, and unless there's a photo-op after, probably won't improve your posing either Laughing .

All in fun,

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

If you think coughing your guts out, your toung burning like you just bit into a habanaro and your eyes watering until you can't see will improve your shooting I say go for it.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:27 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Twice,

Do you still owe me a beer at the Chisholm Trail show, or is it the other way around?

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:44 am  Reply with quote

I'll spring for the first one if you will pick up the rest.
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:02 am  Reply with quote

I say skip the pipe and invest in some fine Donegal tweed - a hat and vest combo is more practical and will make you look like you know what you're about.

and if we meet I'll gladly trade pints with you
hunshatt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:36 am  Reply with quote

If your looking for something useless, that you won't use, just to make your pic's look better, instead of a pipe, I'd just borrow the Rev's kat/dog and one of his worlingworths. Kat/dog don't listen, fetch or point(it was a very bad dog) and the worlys not been shot, well probably since the guy that had it before the rev acctually used it to shoot live things(that guy didn't have some moral delima about killin stuff) On the upside I've heard(not givin you up fin, as my source) that the rev's come up with a really good reciept for tofu and clay bird, supposed to taste a little better than gruel(with enough chili peppers)
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:16 am  Reply with quote

I was thinking of this on my rinde into work today - I thnik a pipe would be handy to have in the field, especially if it had a porcelean bowl on it - I mean, trees are handy enough but sometimes you just need to sit and relax...the weight might be prohibitive though.
DougK
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
Maybe you'll get some more rational responses this time http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1062 Rolling Eyes

This time was not to smoke, just to carry and look Orvistinian... Laughing
henrik
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:43 am  Reply with quote

I've heard a saying, that all that a man needs to be happy, is a gun, a dog and a pipe. Probaby in that order too. Seriously, I don't smoke much nowadays, but if you are going to smoke a pipe, it almost has to be indoors. The aroma will disappear if you try it outdoors, especially if it is windy.
curtiskacin
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:55 pm  Reply with quote

yeah, the smell of smoke puts the birds in flight thinking there's a fire! Laughing
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:59 pm  Reply with quote

Some folks do not drink. I respect their decision, but I pity them also. Do not compare the love of good wine and fine spirits with what you see from the drunkard; that person has neither taste nor descretion, and drinks only from habit. A fine wine to complement a good meal is a pleasure that should not be missed. And then there's whisky. Make mine scotch - single malt, if possible - but I won't turn down a fine bourbon, either, especially when there's a dash of good bitters to be added.

Some folks do not smoke. I respect their decision, but I pity them also. Do not confuse the love of fine tobacco with what you see from the cigarette chain smoker; that person has neither taste nor descretion, and smokes only from habit. A fine cigar after a good meal is a pleasure that should not be missed. An old, well-seasoned briar pipe filled with a good blend (Virginia with a touch of Latakia, for me) mixed with the smells and tastes of autumn on a day afield is a pleasure that should not be missed. If you are not the smoker, then just let your olfactory senses take it in. You will not be disappointed.

And let us not forget: Moderation in all things (mostly).

Fin

MGF
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:00 am  Reply with quote

Fin, want to try something hard? Trying being an addict with taste. It's a b*tch.

As a clean & sober friend of Bill's (Wilson, not Clinton) for the past 11 years, I can safely tell you some drunkards did indeed like the good stuff. Its been a decade plus, but I can still well recall Maker's Mark, the MacAllen, even the crisp taste of Bombay Saphire. Which is not to say there weren't a lot of PBRs and Buds, 'cause there were ... and some darned strange times. Crap, I think I'd better call my sponsor. Smile

And, as a guy who still hits too many Marlboro Lights, I still love a good cigar -- anything from a light Mac to a tangy Punch to a smooth Ashton or Diana Silvus to a medium-full bodied Hoyo Excalibur. I've got a Fuente Fuente Opus X I'm saving for a special occasion.

I doubt you'd share my taste in pipe tobacco, though. I actually like nougat. A shop blend called North Star is one of my faves. For hunting, I'd probaly carry a sandblast or two-tone Stanwell or an unfinished (matte) Eric Nording, though I do have some firsts, including some from Brebbia, Savinelli, DunHill, and Peterson.

I still love a good drink and a smoke ... these days, though, my drink is coffee.

Toss one back for me, lads.
TJC
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:58 am  Reply with quote

Leave the pipe home, you'll probably just drop it in the field anyway. Wink