16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Pipe while hunting
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:18 am  Reply with quote

MGF,

I hope you know my post was all in fun. I commend you for dealing with your problem. I probably wouldn't care for the North Star, but I've got a good friend who would love it! I'm not an every day smoker any more, but still enjoy it: McClelland's British Woods is my standard, usually in one of my Peterson's, or an H. Upmann. I had an Opus X recently; you'll love yours when you get around to it! Best to you..

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:40 am  Reply with quote

Geez, I can think of half a dozen things that would or could improve my hunt more than a pipe. How about a good mapping GPS? A real, brass and nickle plated match safe? A genuine "Acme Thunderer" whistle, on a lanyard, for the dog? A Randall Knife, ANY Randall knife? A genuine Pendleton, or Oyster Bay wool shirt?
Whenever someone asks "mind if I smoke?" I remember Steve Martin's answer to the same-most appropriate!
Best,
Ted
fin2feather
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Ted,

Never owned a GPS, but out in west Kansas you can usually see as far as you want in most directions; never really needed one. I normally don't even have my brass pin-on compass on my LL Bean field coat! Got a good old Marble's match safe like you describe (handy for lighting my pipe Wink ) and several Acme Thunderers.

Never owned a Randall knife but always wanted one, moreso after I heard Guy Clark's song of the same name. I narrowed my preferences down to the #8 Trout and Bird (old style) or the model 26 Pathfinder, either with a stag handle, but I don't want to wait for one and refuse to pay the aftermarket prices; my two old Marble's will have to do.

Must admit, though, that at the prices Pendleton, et al, get these days, my hunting shirts come from the Dollar Store; good old fashioned flannel for $5.99.

A good camp ax (usless in Kansas, since we have no trees), a pair of Maine Guide boots, a Stetson Gun Club hat (the old one without the fancy leather band), a Big Ben pocket watch on a leather strap...

That's one good thing about the outdoors: There's room for us all Very Happy !

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I recently picked up one of these - I'm hoping to get 50 years out of it if I don't loose it first.

My LURB's (aka Leather Uppers Rubber Bottoms) are Beans - tough on the soles but great in snow - keep the leather waterproofed...

the brass lensatic compass - or the generic one the size of a silver dollar without a cover my Dad gave me teathered with a random shoe lace.

I would say I'm a "traditionalist" - that is I prefer things that are or have tradition.
The way my Dad used to say, "Well, by the time we get dressed and walk out to the blind it'll be shooting time."
20 years later he's whittled it down to just taking a big breath in a particular tone and opening the car door. I always wait for him to be ready (he's 78 with mileage like 90)

Or hunting in NH on Columbus weekend - year 3 will be this year - not all traditions are old at first. Smile

wool sweaters/hat, wooden duck calls, appropriate brass and leather over nylon and techoplastic. OK Gore tex is some pretty cool stuff - I don't mind it on the marsh...

Some may call them habits or superstitions - like whisting "Andy Griffith" on the way down to the fishing hole (the rock throw is key) - but some are just plain nice traditions to have.

tobacco & drink are very key in this equation and although I try not to smoke cigarettes, the cigars always get some of my time - I resist smokeless at every turn even though I crave it when I see it. nicotine is very addictive indeed.

from the coffee that starts the morning to the beer with dinner to the single malt or bourbon (with 2 cubes) that finishes the day, there's just something not quite complete about a good day in the woods with out them.

Until last year I didn't venture into the woods much accept to get to the trout water - the last few years have given me the urge to hunt for upland & rabbit - just walking in the woods - Hikes are nice but there's always something missing - the heft of the shotgun mostly. Smile

I can't wait to get out again.

And to come back to the question, wuold I be nuts to ask my Dad for the pipes he still has in the dresser?
mod11rem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:14 pm  Reply with quote

when I got my Model 11 from my Uncle, he threw in his old Redhead hunting vest for good measure. Ripped, torn, and a lot of dried blood in the game pocket, it looked like a serious hunting vest. When I got it home, nestled in the upper right chest pocket was a box of matches that must have been 40 years old (they still would light). These were for firing up that old briar pipe with Sir Walter Raleigh. The vest even after the 30 years I've had it still has a faint odor of Sir Walter R. It takes me back to another day and time every time I put it on. So, I guess I don't have to smoke to experience the feeling. I still have the matches.

MGF
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:21 am  Reply with quote

No worries at all, Fin. Smile
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:27 am  Reply with quote

At one time, I had quite a Randall collection....probably more than 40 with some dating back to the late 1940's. I sold them off over time. Now, with Ebay driving the prices through the roof, they would sell for 3 to 4 times as much, but it just isn't as much fun. I keep only the ones I use now (a Model 3, Model 7 and a Model 1 that was my first), and a few interesting bowies.

Fin2feather, if you are ever after one, I still have my contacts and can get most models with no (or minimal) wait, and at factory price. If you guys are ever in Orlando, visit the Randall shop, there are some real nice blades there.

As to the other consumables mentioned, believe I enjoy most of them....pipe, cigars, but will take Scotch over Bourbon, thanks. Here's to putting together whatever works! Cheers....... Wink
Engstfeld
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:48 am  Reply with quote

DougK wrote:
Does any one carry a pipe while hunting? I am thinking about it. I dont smoke but I believe the look will improve my shooting. Rolling Eyes

Doug

Depends. What you got to put in that pipe? It's a joke, it's a joke........