16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Making the WAA-16 wad BIGGER-an interesting solution!
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:29 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar, it is better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm it.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

But he does hail from Wyoming and that make him a good buy, right?

Let he who has not sinned, chunk Shocked

You know I once made a mistake, NO, I must be wrong about that Very Happy

T'is good to dream and try, You know I am making rifle cases from 32 and 24 gauge brass shotshells.

Mike

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

So much for stimulating intelligent conversation. Let me see here. The same group that has come up with solutions such as using 20 ga. wads in 16 ga. guns is now saying "use the right wad". Fine. I have no problem with that.
Anybody care to be so useful as to tell which wad will both fit the straight walled cases properly and hold an entire 1 1/8 ounce of shot without using fillers and a steel shot wad? After all the conversation was originally about wads.
Physics class? Hate to burst your bubble, but I aced my physics classes. When energy is released it takes the path of least resistance. I shall now offer a rudimentary question. Hopefully some genius will actually provide a plausible answer. If not, then have the sense to ponder it objectively rather than come up with some means of belittlement.
When additional pressure is developed, where does it go and upon what does it react?
Remember, clear back to the 4th grade, "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"-Sir Isaac Newton.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
But he does hail from Wyoming and that make him a good buy, right?

Let he who has not sinned, chunk Shocked

You know I once made a mistake, NO, I must be wrong about that Very Happy

T'is good to dream and try, You know I am making rifle cases from 32 and 24 gauge brass shotshells.

Mike

Mike, I have no clue if that makes him a good "buy".

I have sinned.

No, you did make a mistake.

Glad that you are making rifle cases out of 32 and 24 gauge shot shells.

Keep up the great work.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
byrdog
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 pm  Reply with quote

you miss quote Sir Isaac as most people do even text books do. the math involved proves that pressure and velocity are not associated .you can imagine any scenario you like. the mathematical proof is is the standard in physics. Not your imagination.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:05 pm  Reply with quote

Dale
SOOOOOOOOOOO you caught me boo-boo Very Happy
You are a joy to this site Embarassed

WyoChukar you are blessed to be able to hunt in Wyoming, I have hunted there in the past. Teton Wilderness and Togwotee pass area for elk and below Rawlins for deer.
SWEET!!!

Pleased to have you on the site.

Wondering, Dale and I are old farts, how many orbits you been on this planet?
I am 66.

Mike

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

I figure coming to hunting and reloading in my late 30's I have to accept that I am going to make tons of mistakes, ask bad questions, and develop unfounded theories. I believe it is the price of trying to get past 20 years of missed experience.

This Fall/Winter I get to add caliber reloading, quail hunting, and rail hunting to the adventure! I may even attend a cowboy shoot event. I found out they have a pretty good size group of guys with a nice setup on the Iowa side of Omaha, NE.

WyoChukar, I will test the Ched 1628 to see if the shot stays in the wad. I know I stuff 1-1/4 oz in it for turkey loads and I believe it is a bit over, but I would bet a bit less will fit.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar,

The answer to your question is none.

I currently have a supply of every 16 gauge plastic wad offered here in the states and the only ones that fully hold 1-1/8 oz of lead violate at least 1 of your rules:

Rem SP-16 (not ideal for straight wall)
CB100 (not ideal for straight wall)
VP-80 (designed for nontoxic)
CSD-16 (designed for nontoxic)

I just checked using #6 magnum lead shot with every wad in a Cheddite hull.

I personally use SP-16 and CB100 in Cheddite hulls, but I limit what powders I use with it (more to prevent migration than any concern about my ammo having gas). I suppose you could rub a bit of beano on the wad or just not feed your ammo such spicy loads!!! Laughing

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:03 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Mike,

What kind of PSI are you getting out of that DR16 load?

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog, I think you are confused as to my argument. I NEVER wrote anything about pressure vs. velocity. I know better, plain and simple. My correlation was pressure vs. setback and thus deformation of pellets. To take Newtons 2nd law of motion a little deeper, every impulse experiences an impulse of equal magnitude in the opposite direction. The law of conservation of energy states that energy can neither created or destroyed in any isolated system, it only changes form. When more energy is available in a closed system it is transferred. This is why I see a correlation between pressure (a measurement of energy) and setback. Anyway, if you can answer my question, I will respectfully consider your reply.
Charlie and Mike, thank you for the useful information. The original question concerning gas leakage was specifically to determine whether pressures with a now larger gas seal would raise or not. I made the mistake of mentioning that I prefer pressures a little below the max anyway and got tag teamed!
Cheyenne, rather than offer a rational statement you attempted to elevate yourself with an insult. Kinda chicken s**t for a guy with a signature about courage. That won't help anyone here. Please stick to the topics as best you understand them, then I am sure you will have something worth reading.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:40 am  Reply with quote

WYO - the only wad mad in the past that does 11/8 (maybe ) is the old Herters wad - that'll hold that volumn . The newest wads that'll do what you want is the Multi Metal types for bIZZ/Heavy shot etc . They should be made for Chedd type cases , but they could work in RGL's .

byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:09 am  Reply with quote

You referred to"set back" as acceleration . "Acceleration is a change in Velocity" since velocity and pressure are not related then pressure and acceleration are not related.What I mean by Not related is that they are not relatively quantifiable. All cars have two accelerators, a gas pedal and a brake.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:48 am  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
Charlie16ga wrote:
Mike,

What kind of PSI are you getting out of that DR16 load?

My one and only interest in pressure is that the peak be less than the SAAMI max of 11,800 psi.

I had this recipe tested:

16ga Remington Black hull
24 gm shot (~ 7/8 ounce)
F209A primer (considered the "hottest")
DR16 wad
16.0 grains Green Dot
1241 fps
11,600 psi

With that benchmark I can tip-toe thru the tulips unconcerned with pressures as long as I make only substitutions that can reasonably be expected to lower pressures. In this case, I've reduced the payload from 7/8 to 5/8 ounce (certain to lower pressure) reduced the powder charge by 0.5 grain (certain to lower pressure) and substituted the R209 primer (likely to lower pressure, but of no concern if not).

If I knew only the peak pressure of that 5/8 load I'd probably be concerned that it was low enough that I could expect poor consistency and avoid it like the plague. But the chronograph shows I would have guessed wrong.

I have only an academic interest in light payloads and none in "low" pressure loads, but 16gaDavis has lots of experience with xtralite 16's.

Mike, your "benchmark" data load is one of the more useful bits of reloading information shared on this site. As a MEC "bushing guy" another pressure-lowering item that I factor in is a "typical" (I always check) MEC bar throws a light shot charge.

Last edited by double vision on Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total