16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16ga Citori Recoil Pad?
granitecityminnesota
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:57 am  Reply with quote

I have decided to put just a recoil pad on my 16 gauge Browning Lightning Citori made in 2004.

I am looking for anyone who has put a recoil pad on one. Where they got it, kind it was, model # and the work involved to put it on. I am not interested in slip on or leather ones.

Any specific info so I can get one ordered and on my gun ASAP.

Thanks in advance for anyresponses. Smile
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:26 am  Reply with quote

Either the Kickeez standard or sporting clays model 3/4 inch medium size or the Pachmeyer Old English style Decelorator will work fine. Both are made of a polymer elastic that absorbs shock better than a standard rubber Pad. I've used both. they are pretty much equally effective and cost about the same too.

The Browning recoil pad will look like a standard option if well fitted, but it does little for recoil. They don't call it the "Browning Brick" for nothing.

Any good stock maker or any of the folks who professionally modify trap and skeet stocks will do a good job. I'd call around and get the best price for an installed pad unless you can do it yourself.

If you are handy, all you need are a screwdriver, a wood drill and bit, an accurate band saw, a belt sander, a wood rasp, a flat board to sand the stock butt square and true on after cutting it, and some various grades of sandpaper from medium to fine to final fit, shape and finish the pad.
TJC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Pachmayer Decelerator, Sporting Clays version. Put one on my Citori Feather and love it.

granitecityminnesota
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

Do you remember the exact model number I would need. Did you need to make modifications to the gun or grind down the pad. Specifics would be great as I just have the original hard plastic pad on now. Thanks.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:12 am  Reply with quote

I have the decelerator on my 20 ga............it needs to be fitted. I had it done at my local gunsmith, cost about $90. and looks like it was made for the gun, very professional installation. It made recoil unnoticeable.

The bottom point of the curved factory plastic butt plates on Citoris dig into my upper pectoral muscle area with every shot and actually draw blood, even the 20. So all my Citori's had to get a pad, except my 12 ga. White Lightning, which came with one from Browning. I think I have a permanent scar from getting cut there so much prior to the pads.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:03 am  Reply with quote

The Pachmayer SC100 in brown. It needed to be fit a litlle so I had it done. It looks like it came on the gun. I also had the stock cut to keep the OAL of pull.

JORDO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

Have added several to 16 ga. Citori's-have a Lightning Feather with 28" barrels that had a Browning hard plastic butt plate and weighed under 6 lb. That gun was uncomfortable after 1 round of skeet. Had my gunsmith add a Kick-eze sporting clays pad ( approx. 3/4"), and now the weight is 6 lb. 2 oz., much more comfortable to shoot and has better balance than out of the box. Great hunting gun-still has enough of the Browning muzzle heavy feel to keep the swing smooth. On my Grade VI 16 ga. Citori, I didn't want to add as much weight to the gun (6 lb. 15oz.), and the Kick-eze pads are abit heavy ( 4-5 oz.), so I had a Pachmayr Decelerator, at about 2.5 oz. added ( this is the .6" width). With the added weight of this model and not being particularly recoil sensitive, it seems to do the trick and look great too- I prefer the look of thin pads. I also have one of the Scheel's 16 ga. Citori's with the factory pad, and while it is exactly as described in the other posts ( hard), it functions fine for me. All were professionally done at about $70. I should add that when you add a pad, be sure and specify your length of pull- mine happens to be 14 1/4", which is as they come from the Browning factory, but a straight cut had to be made on the end of the stock to add the aftermarket pads, as the factory supplied hard butt plates are fitted on a radius cut. Hope this helps-good luck!
JORDO
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:49 am  Reply with quote

Smart use of weight there Jordo. It's nice to see that someone understands how to distribute weight to enhance the balance and feel of a gun or at least minimize disturbing an already good balance. I recommend not touching the 26" Citori unless the owner has to cut it down a bit. If it needs lengthening, I'd suggest the lightest pad possible and even drilling out the back of the pad with a 1/4 inch drill bit to remove as much extra material and weight as possible. This does work nicely on the Kick-eez pads and even softens up the recoil a bit better. Just don't drill in more than 2/3rds and drill out the middle more than the top, bottom and edges. Leave the sides alone or the pad will collapse sideways on the shot. Of course, do this after the pad is fitted or you might have a pad looking sorta like swiss cheese after its ground to fit. Wink

This is also why I recommend the 28" model over the shorter one. Its much less sensitive to stock length adjustments. However, for those days when the shooting is quick and close, those little 26" barrels come to point nice and brisk.