16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  pics of early and late 16 ga win 37
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

just bought my second 16ga winchester 37, its a late one I think, made from 1961-1963 because of the philip head butt plate screws. the early one I think is from the early 1950`s. first pic is of the different hammers, the late one is on the bottom
[URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/kennedy759/media/new%20win%2037%20001.jpg.html] [/URL]
the second pic shows the different butt plates, the late is on the left
[URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/kennedy759/media/new%20win%2037%20002.jpg.html] [/URL]
can anyone provide any more info on these differences?

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

Since they aren't numbered, determining age can be a challenge. Somewhere I read information regarding the style of the locking lever and also the Winchester name on the receiver bottom, but none listed particular dates, saying generally that this style or that was the first, second, third style, or early production or such adjective. Below are pics of what I believe is a fairly early 37, noting the checkered lever, Red Winchester and slightly rusted slotted buttplate screws. that will never do- setting in the gun cabinet- oil and a brush needed.

jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sorry that I can't help you.
I bought my first shotgun, a 20 Ga. Model 37 with paper route money ($29 plus tax) and I still have it. The little gun helped not only me, but my kid and grandkids learn to shoot and now a neighbor boy is reloading and shooting pasture clays with the little Winchester.
jschultz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sorry that I can't help you.
I bought my first shotgun, a 20 Ga. Model 37 with paper route money ($29 plus tax) and I still have it. The little gun helped not only me, but my kid and grandkids learn to shoot and now a neighbor boy is reloading and shooting pasture clays with the little Winchester.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:41 am  Reply with quote

the screws PROBABLY won't tell you ... The fore end will tell you if older or newer , as the origin ones had a tapered down FE . The newer ones have a fully , all the way to the end before being rounded off profile. Have 2 pretty cherry 20's , my kid stole my 16 and won't give it back - sez I should use the 740 or the Excell !!!( I switched FE's on one of my guns and put the older one on a gun the kids wanted - you really can't tell the old from the new !!)