16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  disappointing purchase
chopper
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

Well, my NIB Citori White Lightning came in today...

- I found rust on the top barrel where the rib meets the barrel directly above the receiver end of the forearm. It is a bobby pin wide and about 1/8" long. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I didn't notice it until I cleaned all of the heavy factory oil off of.

- I also noticed that the barrel has freckling where the blue appears to be darker than the rest of the barrel in multiple areas (again, not noticeable until I cleaned it).

- There is something rolling around in the barrels. Shocked Shocked When I tip the barrels toward the ground I it sounds like bb's are stuck between the barrels. Same sound when I point the barrels upwards. It's not rattling, you can actually hear something rolling back and forth and hitting bottom.

- The checkering on the right side of the forearm has leftover material in the "valley" of the checkering. I brushed it with an old, clean tooth brush hoping it was not attached...no luck. Looks like it needs to be cleaned up. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Now I'm just plain mad!

It's been a day of highs and lows...unfortunately low right now. It's not what I was expecting from Browning or for the $$$. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

What do you think? Being to picky? Should I return it and try to find another (this is the only WL with the "eye" pattern engraving I've found)? Should I send it to Browning to fix?

brad
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:26 pm  Reply with quote

Absolutely not too picky! Return it with a full volume complaint!

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

chopper:
by all means,send it back to browning. they will make good on it.
i sent a 12ga back twice (2 different problems) and they were both corrected.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I would complain not only to the dealer--but emails to the the brass informing them that you are on the 16 ga web and have done informed them of the situation and we are behind you---What are they going to do because you will post results on this board Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:47 pm  Reply with quote

Ditto what hoashooter said; I've had good success with various defective or substandard products when I've [in writing] stated that I subscribe to a trade magazine (for instance) and the readers are always interested in what manufacturers stand behind their products and to what extent.

I guess they figure if you're willing to put your concern in writing to them, you're just as likely to put your complaints down in a letter to a magazine, or in this case, the 16ga board.

I suspect in this case where the gun was received with noticeable flaws such as yours was, you'll not have any problem getting satisfaction from Browning.

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

That's too bad; I'm sure it is a disappointment. Good luck with it!

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
nossman
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:23 pm  Reply with quote

WOW! Sorry to hear about this. If it were me. I would return the gun to the dealer for a full refund. I would also provide the dealer & Browning with both an email and a hand written letter describing in detail, how you came about your decision to purchase this particular model of gun, the dealer, the purchase process, and the status of the gun upon delivery & inspection. Let the dealer return the gun to Browning for repairs. I would find another (NIB) gun, that does not need to be returned to the manufacturer for repairs, right out of the box.
Good luck with however you decide to handle the issue.
MGF
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:03 am  Reply with quote

You're not being too picky. Seek satisfaction. The problems you describe are not something you should have to accept when buying a NIB Browning. I agree with Nossman; get a different one. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Send it back immediately with a polite, but forceful letter explaining what you found.
Sounds to me like "Toshiro" fell asleep while running the barrel joining machine. Smile
What you're hearing is likely beads of whatever material they use to join ribs/barrels together.

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
mod11rem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

I'd send it back too and demand a new one. Maybe there's something to be said for buying a good used one (like I just did) that has been tested. I would have sent it back if I felt that it was misrepresented or not in the condition described. It was fine and I am tickled with it. Still a brand nib gun should be perfect. If it's not, it was misrepresented and should be sent back for a full refund or another gun that is right.

525field
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

I made sure mine was perfect before I paid for it, we had it out of the box and checked every inch. never had to have service of any kind with browning but I fell they will stand behind your gun and make it right
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:38 am  Reply with quote

Chopper, it happens. Its not fun when it happens to you. Be civil, be firm, but remain polite in spite of the anger. It won't help to blast the seller. They might not have known. A big dealer will just send out the first gun they grab that suits the order. They don't usually check boxes. If you can, return the gun to where you bought it for a replacement. Have them go over that replacement with a fine tooth comb and also pick you out an especially good one as an added perk for the inconvenience.

I'd check those barrels for proper straightness and alignment. If there is a problem, get a replacement or a refund. Don't try to have it fixed. Its a stinker. I doubt this will be the case, but be certain first. If it is, take the refund as a last resort. Don't bother to have it refinished.

Also run the serial numbers to make sure just when this gun was made. The two letters in the middle are the code for the year. The Browning corp web site has this info under dating your gun. This one might be old stock that has been laying around for obvious reasons or even used in box touched up to appear like the new guns. The rattle could be from drops of solder used to close the end of the barrel after hot bluing. However, if your source can and will replace the gun, keep mum about any possible funny business until the matter is settled to your satisfaction. You don't want to open a can of worms about it. This can cause stonewalling on their part. Let them handle the problem first. Then let us know if this was true. We can then avoid a similar problem.

Finally, if your only recourse is a refinish job, don't worry. Browning will make it perfect. They do great work. First contact Browning customer relations in Utah. They will want to know about a bad gun or any funny business involving one of their dealers. Browning takes its reputation very seriously. So let them know. They will be both grateful and helpful and willl be solidly in your corner. Let them set up a repair order at the Arnold, MO for you. They will want to have the gun looked over first of course, but when they know for sure about the problem, they will make it right. They have never failed me on the rare occasions I've had to have a gun redone. The Utah folks should also make sure you receive prriority status too, so you don't have to wait an overly long time to get the gun back. I've found the folks at Utah to be of valuable service in this matter. Good luck. Let me know how it goes. Feel free to PM me if you need to. I've been through this.
chopper
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:40 pm  Reply with quote

I contacted Browning again and the customer service was great. They offered to fix any issues under warranty (it was made in 06 per the SN). I really don't want to have to deal with that though...

I talked to the dealer (nicely, I'm in sales and get beat up for the sins of others daily) the evening of my first post and he's been great. He had no problems with me returning it. He actually said this will be the third 16ga Citori he's had to return b/c of rust in the last month! Shocked Unfortunately, he does not have any more 16ga WL so it's going to be a refund (Hicks has no more to ship him either Sad Shocked ). Hicks also told me that Browning canceled the open orders for the Classic Lightenings. Bummer.

BUT, I did find a handfull of 26" and one 28" WL at another dealer! Very Happy Very Happy So the only decision now is 26" or 28" bbls. (Feel free to share your $.02.) The one I'm returning was a 28" and I noted that it is actually 3/4" shorter than my 26" 870 that has handled the bulk of the hunting work over the last 15 yrs (not to mention 1/2- 3/4lbs lighter Very Happy ).

So, one last questions...

Do I have to use a FFL dealer to return the shotgun?

Thanks to all for the advice.

Brad
nhdblfan
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Brad,
sorry to hear of your problems with the Browning and good to hear you seem to have it resolved.
You do not have to use the recieving FFL to return the gun.The reciever has to have a FFL and you can ship it back.You may want to ask him to fax a copy to you (now accepted) for you records and in case there are any questions from the shipper. Be sure to insure it,and I would probably not use UPS,to many scary stories about not honoring the insurance
HTH,
Dave
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:15 pm  Reply with quote

chopper wrote:
He actually said this will be the third 16ga Citori he's had to return b/c of rust in the last month!

Three returns from 1 dealer in 1 month!! Is there a problem with this latest run?? And what's with the rust?

Any insider info out there?