16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Experience with Post-war Simsons?
Mtwoodson
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

I'm enjoying a negotiation on a post-war 16 ga Simson. Yes, I know they're marketed as Simsom/Merkelsw and Merkel/Simsons, but mostly by folks with Simsons instead of the Merkels they really desire. And yes, Simsons, Merkels and J.P Sauers may have been manufactured under the same big roof in ULM. It seems that in pecking order and refinement and style, the Merkels are on top, J.P. Sauers in the middle and Simsoms are on the bottom.
I'm thinking that even the bottom of this pecking order will serve me very well, especially if I'm looking for a solid field gun.
I'd appreciate your thoughts or comments on this one, please. Thanks much.
PS I really enjoy 16Ga.com. The information and entertainment value can't be beat.
Kiwishooter
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:24 am  Reply with quote

Hi Mtwoodson
My experience is limited to the ownership of a post-war Simson and a couple of more modern Merkels. Most of the post-war Simsons that I have seen downunder are the most basic models - noticeable due to their basic engraving and straight grained wood. This is what my Simson 12 ga is (shshshshs a 12 ga Embarassed ) and is has served me incredibly well. These sell for about 50% as the same gun with Merkel on the barrels so about $700 (that's in Kiwi dollars). The Merkels I've seen here from the same era (mostly the '60s) tend to have more elaborate game scene engraving and a higher grade barrel steel, denoted by the 3 intersecting rings on the barrel flats.

The Merkels I own are U/Os (and I'm currently waiting on my new 16 gauge U/O) so there is no way that I would put Merkel's down. However, if I was able to get my hands on a Simson 16ga you'd never prise them off again Smile From a function and service viewpoint I would rate the post-war Simsons just as highly as the Merkels of the same era (and a better deal!)

Have fun with you negotiations

Ross
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Actually, they were all made under the same roof in Suhl.

What you're paying for is a difference in name, and that's about it. Sauers, Merkels, and Simsons were all made in different grades. My experience says that if you find a Sauer/Merkel/Simson of the same grade, the Simson will be on the bottom, price-wise, whether it's an OU or a sxs. Merkels will be on top if the gun's an OU. Sauer tends to have a better reputation in sxs, in the older guns, than does Merkel, with again Simson on the bottom. But if I could get a better deal on a Simson simply because of the name, I'd buy the Simson.

Also, with the post-war guns, beware of the fact that there were Sauers being made in West Germany (and so marked) as well as those being made in East Germany (many of which were marked "Fortuna"). I don't think there's a lot of quality difference there either.
LittleDoc
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:13 am  Reply with quote

Mtwoodson,

I have a 12ga sxs from the 1950's that has been exactly what you describe (a very solid field gun). It is a lower grade gun and nothing fancy to look at, but it weighs in at 6lb 10oz (nice to carry) handles well and has better triggers, better fit & finish than a lot of other guns I was looking at in its's price range. A friend of mine has a 16ga that is a little higher grade than mine which I would love to have, but his is a family heirloom. He wants my gun too, but I don't think I'm ready to part with it. What do you think you can get this one for if saying won't compromise the negotiations?

Littledoc
Mtwoodson
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:53 am  Reply with quote

I was in Meeker Colorado this week for elk season and then drove over to Denver to look at the Simson. It was very clean, nearly as new, double triggers, no cheekpiece or swivel.
I wanted to bring it home. It cost me a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 and $600.00. I might have paid a hundred or so too much, but really liked it.
I'm hoping to get to Ben Avery with Revdocdrew soon and try it out.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Heading to Ben Avery in the morning Steve-let's meet up! And I need a gun at High Desert Hunt Club next Fri am Very Happy