16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  feeding your hunting dog in the AM.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:17 pm  Reply with quote

I recently was posed with a question about feeding or not feeding your dog in the morning before hunting. My adult live in dogs have always been fed once a day in the evening, just before I eat. Saves a lot of hassles involving dogs bugging the family for under the table handouts, which I do not encourage. Therefore, I always saved treats and a light extra feeding for just after the hunt as both a reward and as way to encourage the dog to take a load off after a hard days hunt. In fact, Hiedi never would accept food if she knew she was about to go for birds. She was too excited and only wanted out of the box to empty her bowels and then go get 'em.

Some folks feed their outside kenneled dogs in the AM to give them the extra fuel to help stay warm in the cold monthes. Some others claim its not nessessary and feed in the evening.

However, a friend of mine always feeds his live-in dogs a 1/2 portion twice a day. His biggest male German shorthair demands a feeding first thing in the morning regardless of what the schedule calls for. (This one would eat 24-7 if you let him.) The owner is a bit worried it may not be the right thing prior to a hunt. He's asking for advise. What say ye?
steve schultz
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

Purina did a study and determined that feeding the dog in the am before a hunt makes the dog run hotter. Digestion creates heat. Then there is bloat that can be an issue. Feeding a small snack while hunting ( power bars ) do not seem to be an issue. Hope this helps.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

This would be a good one for 'Hunting and Dogs' over on SS BB http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=ed6cb6990d83071b1863111c604c6d7f

Like dog training, alot of it depends on the dog AND how soon after eating will they be in the field. I'd be comfortable (and usually do) giving a 1/2 portion in the am if we're not going to be hunting for another 2 or more hours with extra portions that evening.
Some dogs eat poorly the evening after a hunt and if you've traveled to S. Dakota you want your pup out with you the next day. Adding something NEW to the diet (like a few tsps of canola oil for the extra calories) doesn't work so well, esp when traveling. (Note to self: be sure and tell the 'I though I'd try some Alpo the night before the hunt in Nebraska' story in Montezuma) There was a recent thread suggesting raw hamburger might help the picky dog the night before the hunt on SS BB but I'd be concerned about Salmonella and E. Coli O157:H7 (the recent spinach baddie) One male setter really was 'too tired to eat' after the first day in S. Dakota one year and I had to hand feed him kibbles that evening and we had taken a pretty good break in the middle of the day (then again he probably bragged to the other pups when we got home what he pulled over on me Razz )
I had another male setter that, from age 2-5, was prone to hypoglycemia in the field. He needed some food in the am and 1/3 of an energy bar every 20-30 minutes while hunting and was smart enough (oh course he WAS a setter Rolling Eyes ) that he'd know when he was starting to 'fade' and come to me for a snack.
(Note to self: Be sure and share the 'turkey burger meatball quail head puke' story in Montezuma.)
Anyway-every dog is different but certainly the risk of 'bloat' is increased by full feeding then immediate exercise OR right after exercise.
(Note to self: don't forget the 'Massingill Disposable Baking Soda douche skunk squirt cure' story either)

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

I feed 12 hours before the hunt and 30-45 minutes after-giving the dog time to cool down
TJC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:34 am  Reply with quote

I always feed my Drahthaars about a 1/3 of their normal morning feeding before going out. But, they are fed a minimum of 2 hours before hunting. It has never been a problem.
When I get home from the hunt (usually by mid day) I give them another small portion and then their normal feeding in the PM.

I think the main thing on this is to give them at least a couple hours before hunting them if you choose to give them an AM feeding. Also limit the amount you give them. Bloat is a consideration.

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Here's some good infro about gastric dilitation (bloat) and volvulus (torsion)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1571&articleid=402
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/bloat.html
http://www.2ndchance.info/bloat.htm

I was not aware of the increase risk in Irish and Gordon setters. There have been a couple of threads recently on SS BB regarding GSPs with bloat.
From one of the sites above:
"Keep the dog quiet at LEAST one hour before and at LEAST 2 hours after a meal."

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:47 am  Reply with quote

2nd attempt:

Thanks Rev. Thats useful info about a problem I was not even aware of. My old Hiedi dog never seemed to have a problem with eating, digestion, or anything with food other than that she'd over eat on occasion if I let her. Most times, she'd eat her fill, go lie down, then finish it a couple of hours later. She was not a fussy eater either. She almost always ate what I'd give her, and I never varied her diet, just the amount according to how much activity she was getting throughout the year. She was small for a GD, and built wide across the back. Her chest was big but not overly deep. Passing gas was hardly a problem for her either. Sometimes she'd make one's eyes water, but that was not her problem Rolling Eyes.
nossman
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Good question really. A little common sense would say that if a dog is used to eating in the mornings, it would be wise to at least make sure that they have had some food (maybe half the norm) an hour or so prior to going out hunting, etc. Then, the rest a little while afterwards. On the other hand, if a dog is used to being feed only in the evenings, then I think hydration would be more of a concern. On a long outing, a break or two with a little snack & drink would be a good idea.
I feed twice daily (when I eat breakfast & dinner), but on some occasions, do put out both portions just once a day. Rusty will eat when he's hungry. Not like the Beagle I used to have (he would eat until he popped). Rusty & I are entering our first full hunting season and I will try to make sure that he eats a little something, a little while before we leave the house, or camp. Notice I said try. I have found that if Rusty see's or even thinks I'm loading the Jeep, he is reluctant to eat. He just wants to make sure (#1 priority) that he is in the Jeep when I pull out! When we head out for the day or weekend, I always carry some food in zip lock baggies and water in a cooler jug, along with a collapsable bowl.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:40 pm  Reply with quote

I feed 2X a day regardless of what I'm doing with my lab. But I'm generally only hunting him in cold and wet conditions.

Jeff
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

I drove an aquius volvulus in college...

and I miss my dog.