16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Member Seeking Opinions
JHJ
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

I have been bouncing this idea around in my mind for some time now. I thought I would toss it out here for some discussion.

I like Grulla shotguns. I have owned a few 12 gauge guns and have been very pleased with the 209H series and the performance that level of gun provides. Simply placing an order would be fine and I have full confidence in what would arrive.

However, I also have a soft spot for the classic American SxS. I have been thinking of finding an A grade Fox or a small framed Parker in 16ga and, if the barreled action passes muster (before buying), having it restocked to custom dimensions with a grade of walnut commensurate with the grade of gun. Of course I would never dream of doing this with a gun in good original condition, only something that is mechanically sound but not pristine.

I am not really interested in a full restoration, but simply creating a 16ga. shotgun that fits me well and would handle the rigors of upland hunting and the abuses to which any shotgun destined for that use might be subjected.

All opinions gladly accepted and appreciated.

JHJ
Ben Yarian
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:50 pm  Reply with quote

i think it is a matter of your personal likes. why not collect a few? i personaly have 2 ruger red lables (wish they would make a 16) 3 l.c. smiths(1-12 gauge, 2- 16gauges) and 1 unnamed 24 gauge ss from europe, a stevens double,a browning 10 gauge, and 2 parkers (1- 12 gauge and 1- 16 gauge). they all have their place for me. i just hate to get rid of any gun. of course this is may be contingent on the misses, if there is one. with the last one( the parker vh 16 gauge) my wife allmost had a anxiety attack. but i took her out for her favorite dinner and all is well.
Ben
pezman1963
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:44 am  Reply with quote

JHJ wrote:
I have been bouncing this idea around in my mind for some time now. I thought I would toss it out here for some discussion.

I like Grulla shotguns. I have owned a few 12 gauge guns and have been very pleased with the 209H series and the performance that level of gun provides. Simply placing an order would be fine and I have full confidence in what would arrive.

However, I also have a soft spot for the classic American SxS. I have been thinking of finding an A grade Fox or a small framed Parker in 16ga and, if the barreled action passes muster (before buying), having it restocked to custom dimensions with a grade of walnut commensurate with the grade of gun. Of course I would never dream of doing this with a gun in good original condition, only something that is mechanically sound but not pristine.

I am not really interested in a full restoration, but simply creating a 16ga. shotgun that fits me well and would handle the rigors of upland hunting and the abuses to which any shotgun destined for that use might be subjected.

All opinions gladly accepted and appreciated.

JHJ

Connectitcut Shotgun makes new SxX in 16ga.
new Win 21s, A. H. Fox and the new RBL
not cheap but extreme quality
http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:39 am  Reply with quote

why not a 16 ga Grulla? You are already both familiar and happy with them. I'd stick with a gun that works for me. Of course on the other hand, I own several different makes and gauges. However, I hunt with my 16 ga Citori most of the time. Its the one I have confidence in.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:40 am  Reply with quote

John-I like your idea of shooting an American Classic. While the Parker would be easier to trade in the future--you can get better buys on something in less demand, such as a graded Ithaca or Fox.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

Aah, the quest for perfection. My problem always has been - beer budget and champagne taste. Oh well, as long as the beer is cold.

JHJ, I was kicking around the same ideas when I was on my quest for a 16 ga. Would it be an older classic or a modern gun. I liked the idea of a nice Sterlingworth which required more conservative loadings. In the end, I decided to go with a lightweight modern gun that wouldn't have any restrictions with ammo. I picked up a nice clean used Merkel 1620 and am extremely pleased with my choice.

Good luck in your search - Hc

Birdswatter
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:55 pm  Reply with quote

Ditto on the Merkel...light, quick and the quality is exceptional.
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:04 am  Reply with quote

Photo didn't come thru--from Cabella's. Scalloped receiver, etc

Dakota Arms Superlight Grade III 16 Gauge

Price:
$9999.99

Reference Number:

Retail Location:
Rogers, MN

Phone Number:
(763) 493-8625

Email:
roggl@cabelas.com

Dakota Arms Superlight Grade III 16 Gauge. Beautiful Dakota Arms double shotgun complete with fitted hardcase. Single select trigger with tang safety. Straight grip walnut stock fitted with plastic shotgun buttplate. Extensive engraving on the case colored receiver. 27 3/4" barrels with raised matte rib. Fixed choke barrel constriction 006/ 014 - This is Skeet/Light. & MOD 2 3/4" chamber. In fine condition, used little and carefully maintained.

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

Got the Merk 1620,which I love. Also a Simson which (from the era mine was made) is a 47E copy(came out of the same factory) and a sauer as well as a guild hammer in 16, but my favorite project is a Lc 16 that I'm having done over. Just about anything that you like, you'll like. But a bit of advice, any fox that the rev offers you would be a huge bargain, as I've been told his are never shot. Seems he's to busy chasing kat/dog all over the gated golf course retierment compounds he frequents
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

On the morning jog, came upon a 14 bird covey of Gambel's quail strolling in the local school playground. I think Dirk had a chance to get a good nose full of bird scent! 2 family units I've been watching apparently have come together for the fall. Don't know if the birds do a 'fall shuffle' out here like the Bobs in the midwest.
So how're air rats back on the east coast for eatin'? Laughing

hunshatt
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:57 pm  Reply with quote

Good , after sitting in a nice merinate
JHJ
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:09 pm  Reply with quote

Hal M. Hare wrote:
Photo didn't come thru--from Cabella's. Scalloped receiver, etc

Price:
$9999.99

Reference Number:

Retail Location:
Rogers, MN

Phone Number:
(763) 493-8625

Email:
roggl@cabelas.com

Dakota Arms Superlight Grade III 16 Gauge. Beautiful Dakota Arms double shotgun complete with fitted hardcase. Single select trigger with tang safety. Straight grip walnut stock fitted with plastic shotgun buttplate. Extensive engraving on the case colored receiver. 27 3/4" barrels with raised matte rib. Fixed choke barrel constriction 006/ 014 - This is Skeet/Light. & MOD 2 3/4" chamber. In fine condition, used little and carefully maintained.

Why on earth would you think I was in a position to spend 10 friggin' grand on a 16ga SxS? Considering what I am after, that has to be classified as "stupid money".
Hal M. Hare
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:14 am  Reply with quote

You have owned most everything else. I thought the Dakota name helped with the concept of a 'new American classic'. Guess a Spanish gun with a native American name doesn't really qualify as an American Classic in 16 gauge. Sorry.

JHJ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Hal M. Hare wrote:
You have owned most everything else. I thought the Dakota name helped with the concept of a 'new American classic'. Guess a Spanish gun with a native American name doesn't really qualify as an American Classic in 16 gauge. Sorry.

Well, Ok. let me explain.

I am after an affordable option for a soon-to-be brush worn bird shooter. Which is why I am thinking Sterlingworth with rather plain walnut. While you are right in that I have owned some very expensive guns, I have learned that a gilded arrow definately does not make for a better indian. Skill and a decent gun fit is what makes the grade.

While I very much believe in investing into some longevity and reliability insurance for a hard use competition gun, I do NOT believe this is necessary at all for a hard use bird gun. Unless that shooting is done in Argentina.

In todays North American upland situations, a lifetime of shooting may equate to 5000 shots. These are shots taken at wild birds only, over a lifetime of shooting. With todays limits, low bird numbers, limited time and so forth, if a man can muster 5000 tries at wild game birds, he is living a blessed life.

The gun must be ready to hold up to rain, wind driven dust, more rain, cold temps, snow, falling down in the marsh, falling down where ever and pushing through poplars, multiflora rose, cedar boughs and what not. In about 4 seasons that gun might begin to show signs of being drug behind a car. While this will obviously take it's toll on finish, the gun still must be able to function. This is the model. This is what I am after.

The ultimate upland gun is not about impressing the gang at the gun club. It is about taking it's place in the overall scenario of actual wild bird hunting.

I once went to the Michigan Upper Peninsula with a man that had a pair of Holland and Holland Royals (12ga). He walked about 100 yards into the cover with gun number #2, stopped and asked me to wait there. He quickly made it back to the truck where he cased the H&H and took out his Benelli Montefeltro. No way in hell was he going to risk damaging one of those expensive guns in that environment.

And thats what I'm talkin' about.

JHJ
old16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:54 pm  Reply with quote

I have a parker trojan 16, LC Smith 16 Beretta16 JC higgins 16 Love to shoot all, However as far as feel the LC Smith Feather weight has the modern dimensions, When the gun comes up the feel seems so right. I also like the parker and do shoot it well but the drop on the stock just don't come up right. I have restocked the Beretta which has 30' barrels which I don't think I hurt the value their since the stock was broke into when I bought it.
Insteaed of doing away with the stock of any of those american made sxs find one of those LC' Smith FWS and see what you think.
Check out the LC Smith Soiecty.com.