16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New Member Seeking Opinions
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

John, I'm another Merkel 1620 guy for the exact same reasons that you state. It's a light, dynamic handling, tough as nails 16 gauge SxS that really isn't a showpiece gun at all. To me it's a meat gun in the extreme. Heck, when I bought mine there were two to choose from on the rack. One had nicer wood, but the other was stocked higher, and I took that one and sanded down the stock for an exact fit. I then had GSI apply a weatherproof finish to the receiver, and now I have exactly what you're looking for. From the grouse jungles of September to the wind swept pheasant swales of December, this little gun is a reliable and delightful companion. Good luck with your search.
JHJ
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:08 pm  Reply with quote

old16 wrote:
I have a parker trojan 16, LC Smith 16 Beretta16 JC higgins 16 Love to shoot all, However as far as feel the LC Smith Feather weight has the modern dimensions, When the gun comes up the feel seems so right. I also like the parker and do shoot it well but the drop on the stock just don't come up right. I have restocked the Beretta which has 30' barrels which I don't think I hurt the value their since the stock was broke into when I bought it.
Insteaed of doing away with the stock of any of those american made sxs find one of those LC' Smith FWS and see what you think.
Check out the LC Smith Soiecty.com.

I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Dave Erickson wrote:

John, I'm another Merkel 1620 guy for the exact same reasons that you state. It's a light, dynamic handling, tough as nails 16 gauge SxS that really isn't a showpiece gun at all. To me it's a meat gun in the extreme. Heck, when I bought mine there were two to choose from on the rack. One had nicer wood, but the other was stocked higher, and I took that one and sanded down the stock for an exact fit. I then had GSI apply a weatherproof finish to the receiver, and now I have exactly what you're looking for. From the grouse jungles of September to the wind swept pheasant swales of December, this little gun is a reliable and delightful companion. Good luck with your search.

I have been looking at these as well. I am in no hurry, I am already set up with as fine an upland piece as a man could carry this year, so I have until next fall to bring this off. It is entirely possible that this is the answer.

JHJ