16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Browning Bird Grinder
Fluesy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Very Happy Good Evening One & All -- Myself, Wife and Dogses went for a romp today which included trying the "New to Me" 16 Gauge Citori. As well, we tried the wife's Cynergy and a new little Russian Trollip 410 SxS. Both of those darn Brownings shot very very well, the Citori was like picking up a familiar tool. The good news is it went off every time, it is what I expect when I lays my money down, pull the trigger it goes Boom. I was shooting 2-1/2 dram 1 oz 7-1/2's, standard modified and full chokes, reaches out there and grinds'em. Dang, I didn't even try switching choke tubes, I bought 3 new tubes from Briley's Light Modified, Improved Modified and Extra Full. What I had in the gun was working fine. The wife's Cynergy is very nice to shoot also, it is relatively flat shooting, set the bird on the front sight and it turns to dust. The balance is standard Browning, if you shoot a Citori well the Cynergy is an easy transition. The last Gun Show sent an EAA Baikal 410 Side by Side home with me, fixed chokes, mod & full, an english stocked cutie, decent piece of Walnut for a Russian Gun. Once I figured where that little bunch a bb's were going I could break'em pretty consistently with it also. It was a good day for shooting, we went early, no wind, no heat and still a little crispness from the cool evening. I also tried the Chambermates I have for 16 Gauge, I have a 16-28 pair that is constructed of steel, appears to be a stainless steel and a pair of Little Skeeters from Browning 16-20. The 16-28's were absolutely a riot, no recoil and powders the clays, the 16-20's were good for one go, we had no sucess with what we had on hand getting the hulls out of them. Estate target loads, nothing radical, nothing high pressure. They are made from Aluminum I shall see if I can persuade them with some of the heavy equipment in the garage.

My little Gordon Setter Girl did well, poor little Honey has Hip Dysplasia, about a class 3.5-4. I believe Springset isn't as thorough with their breeding program as they profess to be. We bought her as a sound, rescue dog. Looks almost exactly like Revodoc's Pooch. The sad news is she suffers when she's too active. The Vet said she will grow out of it, until she starts getting to be an older dog, then we have a couple of options. We'll cross those bridges when we get there. In the purchase agreement for a rescue dog, the buyer has no recourse and Springset has offered no help. I will post the email they sent me, when I get to the point I can read it without contemplating Evil Things to Befall them. I retract anything Good I had to say about them, one sees the true character of a breeder when things come in question that may reflect on the credibility. Enough ranting, I really hope every one had a good day, mine was delightful. Breaking Clays and Running Dogs, it doesn't get any better until they just look so Pretty when they Point!!!
Good Evening One and All!!!!!
Chet
Only 12 more long drawn out days until Quail Season !!!!!!!!!!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:27 pm  Reply with quote

So... you like the Browning? Gee, I keep hearing how its heavier than this and doesn't point as well as that, and isn't as pretty as some other. And its not an American classic, not does it have two triggers regardless of how dependable the one is, and especially if you stick the safety in the middle which happens everytime some folks pick it up. Rolling Eyes

Well, I hope you can still hobble along with this gun. I hobble well with mine. In fact, I hobble along pretty darned well with it. Laughing

I would suggest using skeet and skeet or skeet and IC for birds over dogs even for pheasant until the birds get smart. For quail, skeet and skeet with 3/4 ounce or 7/8 ounce reloads of 7-1/2 will dump them well without turning them to bird burger even out at thirty yards or a bit more.

The older standard Browning factory open chokes throw nice patterns. The older factory full is actually overchoked and will puree anything cought in the pattern center until its past 35 yards. I had three old fulls opened to .024, .028, and .032 relative to a .668 bore. I use them when the pheasant get squirrelly and won't hold. I use the .024 with 1-1/4 ounce of #4 shot for nice full patterns out at 40 yards and a bit. the .028 and .032 work well with #5 or #6 shot out at 40 yards or more. I'm using ammo with nice roomy shot cups on the wad. I can't speak for stuff with fiber wads or short shot cups. I don't go there. I want that shot protected til it leaves the bore. Works for me.