16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  solo grouse tactics - no dog, just me.
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Last year I covered a lot of ground looking for grouse in my prefered little corner of NH. I flushed on roosting in a tree and one in cover more dense than a politician - the next day several from the ground - both were on the seam of open-ish ground & tree cover. This year I hope to actually get a shot off if I see one.

Can you guys point me to some reading for solo tactics on grouse/woodcock?

I usually hunt alone, no dog...

any tips are appreciated

TIA
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:23 am  Reply with quote

your best bet is to find the right areas where the birds congregate and when. That in itself is a tough go. Hunting any upland bird without a dog is tough. Ruffed grouse are probably the toughest. However, if you can put yourself in an area where they are feeding or moving between it and their restng areas, you might get some shooting. Plan on using up a lot of shoe leather.
pumpgun
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Wild apple trees in the woods tend to be hot sopts, also recently logged areas that are filling in with alders tend to hold birds. FWIW, if at all possible, consider getting a dog, mostly for retrieving downed birds. I'm amazed every time I think I've downed a bird in some hell-hole, but it's nowhere to be seen, and the dog goes in and gets the bird!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:13 am  Reply with quote

You bet Pumpgun. However, even a beagle can do that. In fact, I have a buddy who now takes his beagle out grouse and woodcock hunting. The little bugger can't run worth crap so he's not a rabbit hound extrodinaire. He's what is known as a "me too." However, he also loves to find birds and does a pretty good job of it. Who would have known. He's also typically beagle in temperment--friendly, willing, and lovable as all get out. Hey, use the talent thats there. Laughing
sprocket
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Due to circumstances beyond my control, a dog is out of the question...

So the points raised above lead me to yet another Q:
Can I get a reccomendation on a book for grouse hunting that spells out foods, habits, etc.

I can talk ducks all day but these upland birds are a whole new game for me...
L Kenney
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

I recall reading something by the late Don Zutz about dogless grouse hunting, though I can't remember where. Maybe someone with better recall can point you to it.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:06 am  Reply with quote

2 good books to read are a Grouse hunters guide and Ruffed Grouse woodland drummer. They can both be bought through the Ruffed Grouse society. Consider joining a great conservation group. They helped me do some habitait work on my property in New York. Stealth is the key to hunting grouse without a dog. They will run and move on you without a dog, if they here you coming. Hunt the last 2 hours of the day don't quit early.You have to hunt for grouse if you want to shoot hunt preserve birds. Every grouse you shoot will be a hard won very special prize. Good luck.
sprocket
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:39 am  Reply with quote

Thanks you All for the tips - I will seek the books locally for weeks and then just end up ordering them on line anyway.

This weekend in the woods I'll be trying to walk quietly and in a relaxed fashion - I hope to be half alert and quite surprised at any flushes, not get any shots off and curse at myself loudly and for many minutes afterwards...with any luck I will not think of this desk, office, etc. for many continual hours.

Even if they payed me double time (HA! I crack me up.) I can not be purswayed, persueded, perr... - lured away from the woods this weekend.
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Early in the season look for them around woodland opening's and anyplace you can find dogwoods or nannyberry. In my haunts I usually find them around the beaver flows these places are full of silver dogwood with the white berry's they are low and thick. In these area's you will get some open shots and quite often multiple flushes at the same spot. You will also run into woodcock in these low wet area's. Have fun I'll be chasing them too after an opening morning duck hunt.
Grousen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:06 pm  Reply with quote

I was in your shoes for many years, finally got a fabulous Britttany six years ago. I feel much of my time was wasted until I got my Brit. But you're looking for books so here's a few:
1 Grouse Feathers by Burton Spiller. A classic, by a wonderful story teller.
2. Grouse Feathers, Again.- by Burton Spiller.
3. Grouse Hunters' Guide- by DennisWalrod. He came out with his first one about 15 or 20 years ago, and his second edition by the same name is updated.
4. Grouse Hunting Strategies- by Frank Woolner. My favorite one Gives the straight nuts and bolts of grousing. I'm pretty sure of the title, but it may not be exactly right. Do an author search and you will find it.

Good luck.
87016ga
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:52 am  Reply with quote

for yor viewing pleasure there is a video by tom huggler, "grouse hunting"
if i remember correctly.
you will get a chance to see brother larry brown in action!
Grousen
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

Correction to my above entry- The Frank Woolner book I was refering to is"Grouse and Grouse Hunting". Try to get the latest edition if you can.