71%  [ 45 ]
YES for me, but NO for others
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 63

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

See the guidelines for this Forum set up by Doug Oliver:

"Due to popular demand, we have installed a forum topic to assist the buying, selling and trading of 16ga.guns."

What do you think Doug had in mind? Aren't we trampling on this intention lately? Nothing against the other gauges, but this Wanted and For Sale section was supposed to be for 16's, and in the past, folks were barred from selling other gauge stuff. There are plenty of other forums and venues on which to advertise guns. It'd probably be OK if someone at least were trading another gauge for a 16, but . . . Rolling Eyes

Should we change and open it up to everything? Maybe so. I've got some cars and motorcycles I'd like to sell that I'm sure would get some interest here . . . .
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:01 pm  Reply with quote

It should not be a used car lot, but I have no objection to different gauge shotguns being offered by members. In the long run I believe more 16's are sold than the other gauges combined.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:
It should not be a used car lot, but I have no objection to different gauge shotguns being offered by members. In the long run I believe more 16's are sold than the other gauges combined.

Dale

what he said
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

I believe it should be opened up to other gauges IF they are interesting or unusual guns. I recently purchased an AYA model 117 12 ga that is an early copy of the Holland and Holland sidelock. It weighed in at 6# 13 1/2 oz. Probably the closest I'll ever get to a Holland and Holland. Things such as that gun would be interesting to many on this forum IMHO.

double vision
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

I mentioned something about this a long time ago and I was called "Barney Fife" among other things. Smile I must not have presented it as well as you MS, because folks got a little testy about it. I just let it go, and over time I've come to appreciate seeing some neat non-16's come up for sale here now and then like Lloyd's vintage 20 ga. pumps.
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:10 pm  Reply with quote

i guess I could go either way. If we limit it to shotgun stuff I would be okay with that. Don't want to see ARs and handguns on here (and I own plenty of both of them).
Jeff
Flues16
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:17 pm  Reply with quote

Cheyenne08 wrote:

I agree with Dale, other gauge shotguns are okay, but limit it to shotguns and closely related items. I've bought a couple of non-16s that were listed here and have been very happy with my purchase. I feel like the members here are trustworthy and I enjoy buying from them.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I would prefer this site was 16 ga only but it is not a strong objection to other ga shotguns and highly related material. I would be strongly against other firearms and related equipment.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

What's the point in raising this topic? This site has been running on auto-pilot since Doug's passing. We should be thankful that it has remained in operation in spite of minimal to no moderation. Who do you suggest amend the rules and officiate the threads? This seems like thinly veiled whining that some are breaking the rules. As long as the site remains in operation and/or someone steps up to act as a full time moderator, why don't we act like the grown men that most of us are and abide by the rules. If that doesn't work, choose to not click on a thread that may upset you.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
JonP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

IMO...its also about the trust in the 16 ga community. Let's not forget that when we offer other gauges and goods.
Beagleman
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I haven't been around that long and I am a 16ga. Aficionado, but I do like seeing all things shotgun.I like seeing Lloyd's 20ga pumps also. So, whomever is in charge, let your conscience be your guide and do what YOU think is best.

gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

I like seeing any gauge shotguns and related stuff offered for sale.
Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm  Reply with quote

I can see both sides of MS's question. I think that 16ga guns and items (hulls, loaders, choke tubes, etc) really should be the primary focus of the classified section but I also find other interesting guns to be welcome too. I agree that this spot is not for rifles, handguns and vehicles but the occasional "other gauges" seem fine to me.

The biggest draw to me about this forum is the members and the types of people interested in the 16ga. I guess the clientele here is classy enough to keep the classifieds mostly 16's; this really doesn't seem like a problem to me...
ROMAC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:26 pm  Reply with quote

I think that I trust regular contributors here a good bit more than strangers on other forums.

Lets face it, most of us have and will continue to turn our collections over and in the pursuit of things 16 gauge will have other offerings to sell and use as trade fodder. I support keeping it open to other gauges.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Since we have topic titles for things other than guns, I'm in favor of being able to offer other things for sale- such as reloading presses/dies as well as books, magazines and "related" materials.