16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Merkell; Not in 16ga.?
Carlos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:40 pm  Reply with quote

http://www.gundigest.com/guns/shotgun-reviews-articles/merkel-40e?utm_source=wir&utm_campaign=gd-cgb-wir-160215&utm_content=820675_GDR160215&utm_medium=email
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:44 am  Reply with quote

As I understand it the 40E is not really a "new" gun, but a simpler version of the 47E. Same action and barrels, but they got rid of the side clips, replaced the hand engraved border with laser scroll, no case color, lowered the wood grade and now it only comes with 28" barrels. Merkel-USA says it's not as nicely finished as well. So, a less expensive to produce gun with all the mechanical reliability. However, Merkel-USA lists them as on sale for $4k while brand new 47Es are $3,900. Hmmmmm. Europtic has a bunch of 47s with 30" barrels that look tasty.
Used German shotguns are, from a quality standpoint, the best bargains in the US. Here's a 16 gauge that should make someone happy.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=541738813

Regards,
Jeff
dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

That 47e is a fantastic deal. 3hrs left guys! Snap it up!

The new 40e, in my opinion, is a sad reminder of today's version of qaulity. It looks like a complete piece of crap. The stock fit is embarrassing to say the least. And 5k....ridiculous.

I agree 100% about used German guns. My 1936 jp sauer is a perfect example of teutonic precision. And it was a STEAL!

Carlos
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

My S x S Merkell is in 16 gauge! Model 8, I believe. Made in 1970, 6 lb, 9 oz. Plain Jane, but marked as being of outstanding quality

Less than $1000! I got really lucky, as I saw similar guns online for about USD$1800 just after I closed the deal.
dannypratt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

That Model 8 is nothing to sneeze at. Those are very finely made guns indeed! Nice find!

Roadkill
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:51 pm  Reply with quote

At one time, Merkel produced three basic lines of sxs guns aimed at the hunting market in Europe and elsewhere. The three models were the 40 (40E if ejector), 50/50E and 60/60E. The 40 was a regular boxlock, the 50 was a sideplated boxlock, and the 60 was a true sidelock. Sling swivels and cheekpieces. I have a 50E in 20ga, POW grip and double triggers. That gun fits me better than any gun I have ever owned, even with the cheekpiece - or, maybe, because of the cheekpiece! I've grown to love it. I'd dearly love to have it's twin in 16ga!!
From the pictures of that 'new' 40E, if that is the new standard, then Merkel has taken a giant step backwards. Wood-to-metal fit is atrocious in that picture, as is that awful laser 'engraving'. Some folks don't care for the somewhat heavy-handed 'Teutonic' style of engraving, but I'm betting those folks would agree that it is superior to that laser-done crap.
Sad example from a once-great gun maker.
garry219
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:43 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Merkel 147E I'd part with. Paid 4k and only used it a few times at the clays course. Wound up getting an Over Under. Anyone want to make a reasonable offer?

Blackstewart
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:11 pm  Reply with quote

As an avid upland bird hunter, I wouldn't be caught afield with a 28ga or 16ga that had a single trigger or pistol grip stock.

According to the press release from Merkel, it doesn't sound like they are producing this "NEW" Merkel in any configuration that would fit into my gun room.

Anyone have one of the older model Merkel's with DT & straight stock in 16ga that they'd like to part with?
df
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:14 am  Reply with quote

To each his own.
I just bought a 16 ga Merkel 147E, PG and ST. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Friend has a Merkel 1620 with DT and SS. I tried it, and it wasn't for me.