16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Adventures of a tire kicker III or "Ima keep it!"
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:08 pm  Reply with quote

Walked into my shop of choice to pick up the Ranger - with all the anticipation of a kid watching someone else open his presents on Christmas, I watched the shop guy tear into the package.

After inspecting every piece and assembling it, I gave it the first test - eyes closed mounting - you never saw a deader mallard on a poster, snap caps from both barrels clicking in turn. Paperwork signed and off I went with my new to me...

Fast forward to Camp:
I take it out to show it off as I answer the questions; "How much, where, what make - who!?" etc. The Dad, "Nice.", the kid, "You should put a 'true-glo' sight on there" I almost smacked him.

Comparing it to a "new last year" 28 ga. model 870 - the 870 had a rattle and the metal was cold, the wood - I dunno - on-descript, the Ranger felt warm in the hand and the metal had a fit & finish that matched it's age & character.

It took me 3/4 of the day to finally give it a test and it performed as expected - it hit where I aimed and the deal sealed. Sunday found us once again in the woods - thick stuff like peanut butter (you eat what you like, I'll eat what I like), hills up and down, open meadows littered with moose & deer sign, chippers and one surley porkey-pine - it carried easier than my H&R (due to the cut of the stock). Although I have not taken any game with it yet, I'm confident I will or at least miss with style.

I wanted a working man's gun and I think I found it: no engraving or ornimentation, functional checkering & markings only, solidly built and reliable operation. Is it a show piece or a collectors item? No but it will see fair use and special care respectful of it's age.

Again I'd like to thank the Gentlemen here for their general advise and insight specific to this gun - I feel I made a wise choice with your assistance and I'm happy with my purchase. Truthfully, if it's the only sxs I own, I'm good with that.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats; enjoy, and shoot 'er in good health Very Happy .

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
525field
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather enjoyed talking with you at the gun show, just to let you know I got a gret price for my 16. and found a flat of federal #6 16 ga for 10.00.
sometimes you get lucky
Dennis
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Same back at ya! Good luck with the Browning, and glad you got a good price on the Ithaca; looked like a nice gun. Did you buy the shells at the show? Have a great season...

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
525field
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

yes I did and and thought it was per box and the guy told me it was for the hole thing just got tired of taking them in and out of shows I just said thanks and ran out
Dennis
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:52 pm  Reply with quote

Guess that'll teach me to keep my eyes open Shocked ! Nice find!