16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Upstate NY woodcock hunt
timberdoodle16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

Our woodcock shooting here opened Friday the 6th. I took my english setter Timberdoodle Tucker and my female springer pup Apple out for the first hunt of the year. Tucker pointed 2 woodcock that I only saw a flash of. We then hit one of my most productive coverts without finding a single bird. The next day my buddy Pete came along and Tucker pointed 8 woodys and 2 grouse. I took the first one that he locked up on and Pete had the 2nd shot. I still don't know how he pulled it off. He was getting a dip of Skoal when Tucker locked up. Pete managed to stuff the can back in his pocket and still shoot the bird! The next opportunity he had he managed to miss with all 3 shots from his 20ga. 1100. Had a very disgusted look on his face! Sunday Pete went again and Tucker had trouble pinpointing the birds in the dry, windy weather. Still, we had 6 chances at woodys and 1 grouse came up. Wednesday, Tucker pointed 2 woodcock and 1 grouse which I happened to make a pretty fair shot on with my old Iver Johnson 16ga. double. Today's luck was good too. Tucker pointed 8 woodcock and 3 grouse. I even manage to drop 2 of the woodys with my old 16!
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

They allow 1100's in NY?????????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes A good story brother--keep 'em rollin' in.I was pheasant hunting years back-my buddy stopped to water a tree when the rooster flushed-- How he picked up his gun, hit the bird and kept his boots and bluejeans dry is a mystery to me to this day Shocked Shocked Shocked
TJC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:05 pm  Reply with quote

Timber,

Don't shoot all those doodles. Send some down here to NJ next week when our season opens. Wink

timberdoodle16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:54 am  Reply with quote

Believe me, with the shooting we've done so far, there will be plenty giving us the slip! We are getting scratched, sore and skewered by thornapple. The poor setter is an exhuasted, scratched mess, but he is the happiest son-of-a gun on the face of the earth!
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:59 am  Reply with quote

What parts of the state were you hunting?
timberdoodle16
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:43 am  Reply with quote

Central NY. From the lower Adirondack park all the way down to about Norwich. The birds have been spotty. Heavy in some very overgrown coverts and just a couple once in a while in an overgrown corner of a friends farm. Some of my traditionally best areas have been almost devoid of birds. I do not think the migration has started yet. Maybe they are just avoiding some normally heavily used coverts for the more secluded, hard to hunt areas. On the plus side, Sunday my springer pup Apple flushed her first woodcock. I was behind my 2 hunting buddies and saw the whole thing, but they both missed! To date, Tucker has pointed 32 woodcock and 10 grouse. I have had very few clear shots. Missed a couple of easy ones and hit a couple that surprised me. Having a lot of fun!
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:03 am  Reply with quote

They should be there soon. The Hammond area in St. Lawrence county has been loaded the last two weeks.
TJC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:30 am  Reply with quote

Send them down to Sussex Cty NJ. Razz