16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca Gunworks III
Pedro
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:11 pm  Reply with quote

I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but thought I would share my recap of my conversation today with the new Ithaca.

Presently doing a run of 37 12's, will next do a 20 ga run end of year into early '07, will begin a run of 16's late winter early spring.

They are pricing the 12's at $749, say they have had good response and are trying dearly not to send production offshore, i.e. they can't make them for less here at home.

I have a '48 and '99 M 37 16ga, and am looking to complete the trifecta. I asked about wood upgrades, and they said had problems with first stock supplier, but are very happy with their present supplier and that field grade guns have, what the young lady that I spoke with contends, upgraded wood.

Only as a matter of introduction... my newer M37 16 28" tubes is my everyday bird gun, my '58 m12 16 26" Cyl is my TX brush gun, and my '56 Sweet 16 28" mod, with the holes on the receiver that some moron drilled out for a scope, is my dove gun. Got two bird dogs, one free britanny that no one wanted, and a high $$$$$$ regally bred brittany that was pick of the litter, you guess which one finds more birds.

I enjoy the site immensely. Even you 16gg.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:33 pm  Reply with quote

A 37 with a I/C---not quite a Model 12 but it could be useful. Wink
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:09 pm  Reply with quote

I spent a lot for my French Britt pup but she sure is sweet. I drove all the way to Salina to pick her up. On the way back I had the wife drive and the pup slept on my lap, it was real sweet until I felt a warm wet feeling. She is only 29 pounds and 19" at the shoulder when she goes after a wounded pheasant it looks like a cock fight.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:11 am  Reply with quote

The folks in Sandusky, OH are very pleasant to deal with. I recently had an order that was incorrect, and they made it right at no further expense to me.

I was sad to see the King's Ferry people go out of business, they were just as easy to deal with.

I have duplicates (12, 16 and 20 gauge) in model 37 guns as well, and I would like to convince the Ithaca people to build me a riot configured 12 gauge with a 28 inch choke tubed barrel as a 'sort of "rainy day" lightweight, with a maintenance free finish. I don't really need it, however. The Mossberg's work for that.

I have one model 12, a 1913 vintage 20. I don't need, or want anymore. I'll let the facts speak. Model 12s are obsolete. Nobody produces them anymore. Model 37s, aren't. The gun won't die. The model 12, did. End of story.
Best,
Ted
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:12 am  Reply with quote

It most definitely is NOT the end of the story, but if you think so, that's good enough for now...there are just too many ducks to hunt to get into this again.

Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

I doubt you will see a new police version the M-37 (Riot) while the 37 is a great field gun it was not popular with either the police or military. For any type of police or combat situation the 870 is a much better choice.
87016ga
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:10 am  Reply with quote

technically ted, the 37 has died a few deaths over the past 3 decades. new ownerships just try to keep breathing life into it.
i wish the new ownership well, and would love to have a new 16 pumper to stand in the locker next to the 870, however on the small and costly scale the new ownership is planning for manufacturing and distribution, i don't think they will be around long.time will tell.......
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Check your facts, Matt-there are two versions listed on the website, www.ithacagunsusa.com My late uncle had a model 37 mounted in a verticle rack in his Ramsey County (St. Paul, MN) Sheriff's patrol car for most of a 30 year career, used it several times, and complained not once.

Might interest you to know that the lowly Mossberg 500 is the pump most used in the military.

And the fact remains, you can order and buy new Ithaca model 37s. Not model 12s. Don't know why that fact brings up an argument, but, it always does.
Best,
Ted
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:28 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Pedro"]
They are pricing the 12's at $749, say they have had good response and are trying dearly not to send production offshore, i.e. they can't make them for less here at home.

quote]

$749 is getting darn close to the price of a new Benelli Montefeltro. If you want one of these Ithaca pumps you had better order it soon as they will not be offered long. Once the initial rush is over I doubt if Ithaca will be selling enufff of these guns to make it a viable business.
Pedro
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:56 am  Reply with quote

Can't remember exactly, but I believe I paid a little over $400 for my new one about 7 - 8 years ago.

I like pumps, owned/own all the popular models, except Mossberg, the m37 is hands down my favorite.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:48 am  Reply with quote

And why is that Pedro?
german_shepherd
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

both are very good shotguns, i have a 1956 ithaca 37 in 16ga and a 1928 model 12 in 12ga, wouldnt get rid of either one.
22-250
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

german_shepherd wrote:
both are very good shotguns, i have a 1956 ithaca 37 in 16ga and a 1928 model 12 in 12ga, wouldnt get rid of either one.

My thoughts also. I had one model 37 years ago and it was a fine gun (stolen 1987), no problems other than I shot it very well but not as well as my Mod 12's in the field and on clays. Same with other Mod 37's I've shot since. The M-12 just fits and swings better for ME. I have to sit back and laugh at some as they are always touting "mine is better than yours" Laughing
BTW, I shoot my Rem 3200 w/32" bbl better than any of my other shotguns, but there's no way I'm going haul that hog leg out in the field. Wink
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

I inquired about having the "riot with a field barrel" Ithaca 37 built, and was told that it would be a possibility in the future, but, they are too busy getting the regular production guns complete in sufficient quantities to keep their dealers happy. Interesting. Only 12s are in the pipeline as of now, things will change in 2007.

Stay tuned.
Best,
Ted
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:17 am  Reply with quote

I've got a yen to look over one of the promised 28 ga guns. That should be a sweetheart and the perfect companion to my 16 ga 37.